Social Thread: Invigorating your insides

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
Hello all,

Figured why the hell not, and start one of these. I tended not to do it when the site was in it's infancy, but what the hell, no many people here post anymore to make fun of whatever is put as a title.

So, it's been a while since the last time I was here properly. Got some time so I figure I'd give an update.

My kid turns seven today. I use to spout left and right about how I wasn't going to have any, and then one appeared. I couldn't imagine life without him, and I ended up going through a long court battle to gain physical custody of him recently. Costed me an arm and a leg, but he's mine now. She can't just take him like she had started threatening too.

Got a new job so much closer to home. FACT: I was able to drive home during lunch today to set up my kid's bedroom in his birthday gifts to surprise him when he gets back from school. Should be fun.

I have an amazing person in my life who has a kid of her own, whose 2 and a half now. It's a good thing I'm good with kids considering how against them I was.

Last year for father's day I got a nice gift for myself. It involved a strange man cutting something private. That should give you enough information on what happened.

My dad had emergency brain surgery last year, he had a tumor in his brain the size of his hand. He's doing fine now, still walks a tad funny, but he's moving which is good.

Other than that, what are the rest of you up too?

Well, as mentioned previously I met someone, settled down, proposed, got married, then got dumped for a cokehead and now I'm actually happy!
I'm moving back out of my dads in July into my own place as I moved back after the split. Apart from the current drama I mentioned in the complaining about life thread, things are going good, got an interview for a good promotion in a week so looking forward to that.

I'm still at the same job at the same library, but after almost 20 years, I have a new (much larger) office. With windows and everything. Much of the shelf space (and there is a LOT) is taken up by the Children's Room holiday book collection, as well as various puzzles and other items for kids, but I now have a bunch of wall space for posters, as well as my own computer. (Maybe now I can catch up on all those library webinars I signed up for and couldn't watch.) So my decorating "scheme" is now "Sci-Fi/Fantasy Eclectic," as I have superhero, Harry Potter, Star Wars etc. all over the place. My desk, which doubles as a crafting table, is currently covered in various pieces of cardboard; we have a Star Wars Day scheduled this weekend, and I'm making a sarlacc. (Yes, you read that correctly.)

I even have a Halloween corner, complete with a mummy door cover, a couple of witches' brooms, a garden stone with witch's shoes, and a full-sized Jack Skellington (currently sitting in a chair holding a teddy bear which seems remarkably unafraid of the whole thing). We're doing a Haunted House in the library in October, and those are some of the props.

The staff here survived four years of the reign of The Worst Library Director Ever. At one point I was ready to take (extremely early) retirement, it was so bad. Thankfully she's gone, and the new guy is a huge improvement.

My father passed away three years ago, and I'm now the sole caregiver for my mother, who will turn 83 next month and is still pretty active. We just finished our annual trip to Williamsburg, VA (with a side trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina). She may actually be slowing down finally, but overall we're doing pretty well here.

Glad to hear the same seems to be true for many of us.

I'm still at the same job at the same library, but after almost 20 years, I have a new (much larger) office. With windows and everything. Much of the shelf space (and there is a LOT) is taken up by the Children's Room holiday book collection, as well as various puzzles and other items for kids, but I now have a bunch of wall space for posters, as well as my own computer. (Maybe now I can catch up on all those library webinars I signed up for and couldn't watch.) So my decorating "scheme" is now "Sci-Fi/Fantasy Eclectic," as I have superhero, Harry Potter, Star Wars etc. all over the place. My desk, which doubles as a crafting table, is currently covered in various pieces of cardboard; we have a Star Wars Day scheduled this weekend, and I'm making a sarlacc. (Yes, you read that correctly.)

I even have a Halloween corner, complete with a mummy door cover, a couple of witches' brooms, a garden stone with witch's shoes, and a full-sized Jack Skellington (currently sitting in a chair holding a teddy bear which seems remarkably unafraid of the whole thing). We're doing a Haunted House in the library in October, and those are some of the props.

The staff here survived four years of the reign of The Worst Library Director Ever. At one point I was ready to take (extremely early) retirement, it was so bad. Thankfully she's gone, and the new guy is a huge improvement.
That's pretty awesome.

Hey all,

My bad for popping in and saying hi and never responding again a few years ago. Glad to see those that are still kicking around are doing well! Life's changed a ton for me all these years later, I'm a Quest Designer on Marvel: Contest of Champions now, it's crazy, I got to write the monthly event a couple of months ago and essentially establish the secret identities and backstories to two brand new Marvel characters. Married, living in Vancouver, have a little 1yr biting my ankles and everything.

I just want to say this site meant a lot to me while I was growing up, going through a rough time, and fighting a lot of loneliness. Thanks for putting up with this twerpy teenager 15 years ago (jeeeeeez).

Can't say when I'll be back on again, life's busier these days. Nice to see this forum is still up though :)

Much love to you all!

Wow, so I just thought about this site for the first time in years and decided to track it down ... luckily, I remembered enough details (including my username and password!) that I'm able to post again. Last time was in 2009 (!!). I remember this site fondly, and seeing the names of top members brought back a flood of memories. I remember this place when it used to be Ultimate Central - in fact, I'm not sure I've posted on it as "The Comic Board" before! This was a lovely community and even though I was never one of the "big" members, I still really enjoyed visiting and interacting. Can't say I'm likely to post a bunch now (for one thing, I don't really read comics anymore!) but this was such a nostalgia trip I couldn't pass it by without saying something :)

As for me, I'm working on a PhD in linguistics and am really enjoying the work I do. My real calling is teaching, and I've had a chance to really hone those skills over the years. Not sure what else to say - I guess I'm glad this place still exists, even if it's not as active as it used to be!

My birthday is the same day as Freddie Mercury's. Next year I'll be 40, and every once in a while this site - and its hey days - run through my mind. I found this site at a low point in my life, and in a crazy way I owe the betterment of my humanity to all the wild interactions I had here, as I navigated who I was during the internet's infancy.

A couple years ago, I got a job at Apple, which was exciting and unexpected. I was working on the Siri team in Austin until I grew unhappy with the direction it was going. I leveraged my job there to land a retail spot in Brooklyn, where I live now. I finally brought Hibiki home.

She was very real, btw. ;D

Still trying to figure out what I need to do here, but life has been good. For the new boots, this place had amazing community, and I spent my early twenties nerding out here all the time. It made me want to see the world, and the first time I ventured on my own was to go to wizard world Dallas, just to catch a glimpse of the infamous Seymour so I could have a story to share.

I miss y'all

Latest posts

Back