Speed Racer - The Movie Discussion **Spoilers**

How would you rate Speed Racer?

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I had a 6 year old sitting next to me with his dad and the kid loved the film. If nothing else, he'll be too distarcted by the pretty colors.

Just saw it. All I can say is...:

[youtube]L12A4SqzdrQ[/youtube]

Originally Posted by Victor Von Doom,
he'll be too distarcted by the pretty colors.

Most definitely...

Last edited:
I'll probably see this when it gets to the dollar show.

There's just too many movies I really want to see coming out all at once, and I'm afraid it just doesn't make the cut.

I feel like my brain would explode into five-dimensional rainbows if I tried to watch this.

Also, this movie incited a guy in the forum to say "Holy Cannoli!" ...... I can't endorse that.

Last edited:
I'll probably see this when it gets to the dollar show.

There's just too many movies I really want to see coming out all at once, and I'm afraid it just doesn't make the cut.

Same here. Prince Caspian this week followed by mother****ing Indiana Jones next week and The Incredible Hulk a couple weeks after that. And from what I've heard (Outside of here) is that Speed Racer is pretty awful. Due to the split vote, I think I'll wait for a rental.

Last edited:
This may be the biggest bomb in recent memory:

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2008-05-12/
Golden Compass might have been a bigger bomb, if you account for the fact that Speed Racer was competing against a really crowded market. Iron Man is still on its second week, and the films currently on the Box Office Top 10 are of a rather diverse pantheon of demographics to significantly cannibalize that film's viewership.

Golden Compass might have been a bigger bomb, if you account for the fact that Speed Racer was competing against a really crowded market. Iron Man is still on its second week, and the films currently on the Box Office Top 10 are of a rather diverse pantheon of demographics to significantly cannibalize that film's viewership.

Numbers-wise it'll still hit below Compass. It'll still be against Iron Man next week, AND Indiana Jones is premiring which aside from having all the hype on its own, will leach up SR's last hope of an audience: kids who are "too young" for Iron Man.

It still did very, very, very poorly. Iron Man on its second week did better sR on its first. Heck SR wasn't even competing for first place, was competing for second place with god awful romantic comedy "What Happens in Vegas" that's how bad it was doing and who is the idiot who decided to have SR compete against Iron Man anyway? This should been released in the middle of June, now its going get buried by the latest Indiana Jones and Narnia movies.

Last edited:
It still did very, very, very poorly.
I'm not saying it didn't, nor am I even defending it. I'm saying it was asking for a beating.

The reason I bring up Golden Compass and the circumstances is to point out that it would be a bigger bigger bigger embarrassment if it was competing in a slow week.

The Overlord said:
Iron Man on its second week did better sR on its first.
I don't get what that means. If you're trying to say, "Gosh, second week and it did better than a similar heavily marketed high profile property on its first week?!" then you forget that the sustainability of a second week 1st place is a lot easier than it looks, given that not everyone watches films on the opening weekend.

In other words, a) Speed Racer was placed at a dumb spot, and b) Iron Man still # 1 on 2nd week is not the accomplishment one'd think it is.

The Overlord said:
Heck SR wasn't even competing for first place, was competing for second place with god awful romantic comedy "What Happens in Vegas" that's how bad it was doing
I find it ludicrous when people bring up the 'quality' of a movie or imply its shallow appeal as if it somehow matters in these kinds of things.

So What Happens In Vegas is a dumb looking romantic comedy featuring the brainless pairing of Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz.

So what?

People will go to pay and see that kind of thing (especially considering that there hasn't been a romantic comedy that features internationally recognized stars out in awhile).

The actual quality of the film has no relevance in using it as a yardstick of how badly Speed Racer failed to break the number one spot.

Last edited:
It still did very, very, very poorly. Iron Man on its second week did better sR on its first. Heck SR wasn't even competing for first place, was competing for second place with god awful romantic comedy "What Happens in Vegas" that's how bad it was doing and who is the idiot who decided to have SR compete against Iron Man anyway? This should been released in the middle of June, now its going get buried by the latest Indiana Jones and Narnia movies.

March or Feb would have been better too.I mean really putting it out this close to the new Indiana Jones movie and and right after Iron Man wasn't very smart.

Last edited:
I just got back from watching this today. The most awesome part was it was at a time kids are at school and most people are working there was me and my friend and one other guy in the cinema that was awesome .

This is not what I expected. I expected it to be basically Days of Thunder crossed with The Fast and the Furious which would have been awesome. However it was not. Instead this felt like a cartoon but was live action and I don't mean like scooby doo or the grinch , I mean it felt like a cartoon but had a story and plot like a live action movie that IMO was the best live action cartoon they have done.

I'm not one to say effects are great but the effects on this were great for one reason. They added to movie but were not the movie.. I enjoyed the hell out of this and will get the dvd when it comes out.

I give this 4.5 out of 5

I'm not saying it didn't, nor am I even defending it. I'm saying it was asking for a beating.

The reason I bring up Golden Compass and the circumstances is to point out that it would be a bigger bigger bigger embarrassment if it was competing in a slow week.

I don't get what that means. If you're trying to say, "Gosh, second week and it did better than a similar heavily marketed high profile property on its first week?!" then you forget that the sustainability of a second week 1st place is a lot easier than it looks, given that not everyone watches films on the opening weekend.

In other words, a) Speed Racer was placed at a dumb spot, and b) Iron Man still # 1 on 2nd week is not the accomplishment one'd think it is.

I find it ludicrous when people bring up the 'quality' of a movie or imply its shallow appeal as if it somehow matters in these kinds of things.

So What Happens In Vegas is a dumb looking romantic comedy featuring the brainless pairing of Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz.

So what?

People will go to pay and see that kind of thing (especially considering that there hasn't been a romantic comedy that features internationally recognized stars out in awhile).

The actual quality of the film has no relevance in using it as a yardstick of how badly Speed Racer failed to break the number one spot.

Now that mightr all be true, but considering its rather low rating on the old tomato meter and no real built in fan base, it would need to have been in screened in a month no competition to not end up a flop. You can't blame everything on a bad time peroid.

Now that mightr all be true, but considering its rather low rating on the old tomato meter and no real built in fan base, it would need to have been in screened in a month no competition to not end up a flop. You can't blame everything on a bad time peroid.
I'm not blaming EVERYTHING on a time period. It's presumptuous to think one can second guess PERFECTLY the reasons behind the failure and success of a film.

But the logic of **** movie = **** box office take + (below what happened in vegas = worse than what happened in vegas) is a logical error, IMHO.

That aside, I don't care whether Speed Racer is 'objectively good' (whatever that means) as it isn't even all that relevant to the argument.

Plenty of **** films have succeeded at the box office (Fantastic Four took in 56 million in a weekend and ended a six month long slump) and plenty of good films have tanked.

And regarding a built-in fan base, which Speed Racer most definitely had if at the very least on a 'brand awareness' level, one forgets that positive word of mouth isn't a guaranteed measure of a film's success.

Four words: Snakes on a Plane.

edit: OOPS, could a mod merge this post into the preceding one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back