Speed Racer - The Movie Discussion **Spoilers**

How would you rate Speed Racer?

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Why doesn't this thread have a poll added yet. I haven't seen it. I was looking forward to it but, honestly, I have serious doubts about it now. I don't think it will be good. Doom is the only thing that actually will have me at least see it on the small screen when it comes out.

I'm really not understanding the hate for this movie? :?

By no means is this an Oscar-worthy film....but to be honest....who was expecting it to be? I completely expected this to be utter cheese. And instead I got awesome cheese!

The story was pretty straight forward and everyone knew the outcome, same as they did in the old cartoons. The film is on the same level as any other "visually stunning" film. It really felt like I was watching a live-action anime.

Now maybe i'm being a bit biased when I say "it was the most awesome movie experience I've had this year" since I was completely immersed into the film due to the IMAX experience.....but I fail to see where all the hate is coming from? :?

For those of you who say you didn't like it, I ask----what about it didn't you like?

I'm really not understanding the hate for this movie? :?

By no means is this an Oscar-worthy film....but to be honest....who was expecting it to be? I completely expected this to be utter cheese. And instead I got awesome cheese!

The story was pretty straight forward and everyone knew the outcome, same as they did in the old cartoons. The film is on the same level as any other "visually stunning" film. It really felt like I was watching a live-action anime.

Now maybe i'm being a bit biased when I say "it was the most awesome movie experience I've had this year" since I was completely immersed into the film due to the IMAX experience.....but I fail to see where all the hate is coming from? :?

For those of you who say you didn't like it, I ask----what about it didn't you like?

100% agreed.

It was an hour too long. The final race was the one of the most ridiculously boring climaxes I've ever seen. The villain was completely ridiculous. The plot was overly contrived and drawn out. The kid and his monkey were annoying. The big reveal was painfully obvious. And I have a severe distaste for Susan Sarandon, but that's just a personal opinion.

Need more? I could go on.

I have no interest in seeing this whatsoever.

And I really didn't, but luckily my friends dragged me to it today, and it barely took ten minutes for me to throw off my critical preconceptions of the film and really enjoy it for what it was.

I cautiously liked it until the fight in the mountains, and then i just gave up and liked it whole-heartedly...

I can't imagine seeing this on the small screen, though. I really think it needs to be experienced in full-sized glory.

It's not a great movie, but the WBros really figured out to make sometime totally unique, and absolutely fun. It's too bad it was such a bomb.

7.5/10 (substracted by some shoddy acting, and some bits that were too over the top, but still, a totally enjoyable movie)

I saw it last week, but I haven't gotten around to posting about it because I have a lot to say.

Let it suffice to say that when I do, the post will be such an awesome deconstruction that Doom will have bruises on his forearm just from reading it.

And he'll like it.

I JUST got home.

I completely forgive the Wichowskis for the Matrix sequels and V for Vendetta because of how trippy cool Speed Racer was.

Granted, I was busy staring at the hotness that is Christina Ricci, but seriously, as weird and trippy as it was, I can honestly say, I had fun watching it. It was like... Hot Wheels brought to life.

I take it your not straight then.

Back on track, this was the most fun I had at a movie theater in a long time. It's been too long since I've wanted to the see the same movie again and again.

In fact, that kind of reminds me of Transformers. Awesome!

Too bad the possibility of a much deserved sequel in practically impossible.

My laptop battery is beginning to die. But before I go:

McCheese---I'll be responding to your statements soon.

Ourchair---I NEEEEEEEEEEEED to hear your wisdom!!!

Everyone Else---GO SEE SPEED RACER NOW FOR SUPER CRAZY TERRIFIC HAPPY AWESOME FUN TIME! :crazy:

Everyone Else---GO SEE SPEED RACER NOW FOR SUPER CRAZY TERRIFIC HAPPY AWESOME FUN TIME! :crazy:

Alright, Doom; you've convinced me. :)

I'm seeing the 7:30 screening of it tonight. Albeit with a free pass I got for my birthday. No way I'm paying top dollar for a movie there's a more-than-slight chance I'll dislike.

Now I just have to get rid of my current migraine. Definitely don't want to have it right from the beginning of the movie.

Robert Kirkman really liked it:

Stop what you're doing right now (even if that's sleeping) and go see SPEED RACER RIGHT DAMN NOW. Heaven is a place where you can watch Speed Racer--and then immediately have it erased from your memory... and watch it again like it was the first time. My wife and son are out of town this weekend--so I'm going to go see it again tomorrow... TWICE.

-Robert

I just saw it last night (wanted to see it before they replaced it with Zohan)

twas pretty righteous, alot of cheese, and I don't like Spridel, but the rest of the movie was great

RRRRAAAAAIIINNN!!!

I just finished watching it and I thought it was awesome. I also think my eyes are bleeding.

I just finished watching it and I thought it was awesome. I also think my eyes are bleeding.

Yeah that last race would do that. Now imagine if you were eating some of DIrishB's "Special" brownies while watching this movie....

I got an early birthday present today (very early as birthday isn't till december) I got the Bluray of this! Loved this film I really did and can't wait to watch the Bluray, Got too hooked playing games today but I'll watch this tomorrow.

I saw it last week, but I haven't gotten around to posting about it because I have a lot to say.

Let it suffice to say that when I do, the post will be such an awesome deconstruction that Doom will have bruises on his forearm just from reading it.

And he'll like it.

Still waiting....

Also....I know for a fact that I've watched the film on blu-ray at least 10 times since I brought it home. Seriously.....I love this film.

This movie hasn't been released on DVD here yet but the day it does, I shall buy it. And then watch it on my large TV. Over and over again. Until my eyes bleed juice.

I might as well share my opinion on this movie, which I don't think I've done here yet. The reason for the sudden interest, even though I saw it months ago, was that it was recently listed on Ain't It Cool News as the worst film of 2008, and I thought, "Really? Worst film of 08? I don't know about that. Hey, I wonder what the people at UC thought of this movie!" (I'll admit my thought processes are a little random, but hey, nobody's perfect!).

Well, it turns out everyone here really loved it, or at least the vast majority. I hate to be a dissenter among so much praise here, but I though it was horrible. Like I said - not worst of 2008 material (Meet the Spartans, Love Gurua, Meet Dave, the list goes on and on).

But I do think it's a rather obnoxious movie. Maybe it's because I only saw it on the small screen, but the whole thing was just kind of ... dull. The visuals were so over-the-top as to be headache inducing, and this took me out of the movie to the point where I didn't feel one iota of tension throughout the entire affair. I found the characters annoying and one-dimensional ("I have to fill my brother's shoes and keep the family business alive!" was our main character's entire motivation) and the movie was overlong by AT LEAST a half-hour, maybe more.

Maybe it's because I didn't have the nostalgia factor for the series, maybe it's because, like I said before, it needs to be experienced in a theater to be truly appreciated. But man, was this one seriously flawed film. I just didn't like it.

P.S. I will say the score is amazing, but then, everything Michael Giacchino touches is gold.

Latest posts

Back