Spock vs. McCoy

Spock vs. McCoy?

• Total voters

ourchair

Who is the most awesomest between Spock and McCoy of Star Trek: The Original Series?

Do you side with Spock and his unflappable sense of logic and alien sex appeal?

Or do you root for Dr. Leonard McCoy and his curmudgeonly sense of contrarianism?

I'm with McCoy all the way. He's a cranky bastard who argues against the cold enlightenment of his futuremen contemporaries. He lovably contradicts his distrust of modern technology with his contempt for 'backward' medical procedures. And for every moment he despairs at the sterility of 'advanced' civilization there is another moment where he is outraged at the barbarism of the unenlightened.

McCoy's contrarianism is what makes him cool.

I'm going with Spock
Please elaborate.

Is it because of the ribbed penis? The sexy ears?

In favor of McCoy, observe the following remark when McCoy realized that Spock mind-melded with him:
Leonard McCoy said:
"That green-blooded son-of-a-*****. It's his revenge for all those arguments he lost!
See? McCoy has the higher ground because he's not a petty pointy-eared little bastard who forcibly implants his personality on other people as payback.

McCoy also gave Spock his brain back. Spock has McCoy to thank for still being able to use his precious logic.

Last edited:
No one beats McCoy. His cynicism evens out the show. Without him it would be too cheery and we'll never have:

"I'm a doctor, not a ________"
And
"He's dead, Jim."

McCoy is the original P.I.M.P.

Nothing beats a cranky old doctor with the bedside manner of Attila the Hun.

Hey, where's the "Bass option"?
Trelane IS the Bass option. Duh.

Foolsfolly said:
No one beats McCoy. His cynicism evens out the show. Without him it would be too cheery
I don't think it's a matter of cheeriness as it is a matter of how sterile, cold and unfeeling the show would be. There'd just be nothing but stoicism and resolute self-seriousness without McCoy.

I also love the fact that McCoy can sometimes point out the ludicrousness of the show without coming across like he's trying to hard at being self-aware or being post-modernly hip.

In "Space Seed", that famous episode which features Khan, Khan has McCoy by the throat AND is holding a knife to him. At the same freaking time. To which McCoy remarks, "Well, either choke me or cut my throat. Make up your mind!"

It's so hard... I can't choose.

I love Spock because he's actually smart. Often writers will write characters who everyone says is smart, but they just come up with technobabble or suggestions that happen to be smarter than the rest of the crew (and those suggestions are often made more retarded to highlight the 'smartness' of the smarty-man). In other words, the 'smarty guy' is actually only relatively smart compared to the rest of the cast, and isn't actually smart at all.

Not with Spock. No sir, he's smart. He's really clever and practical. I wuv him.

But I also love McCoy and all his shenanigans. He's so good as well. His continous baiting of Spock, his practicality, and his cantankerousness.

But together, these two are awesome.

So to pick one?

I'd have to go with Spock, I think. But only by a fraction. Only by the smallest of fractions. So small that if I watch a McCoy centric-episode (or even a scene) that I'll probably switch my opinion.

And Trelane.... why I oughta....

It's so hard... I can't choose.

I love Spock because he's actually smart. Often writers will write characters who everyone says is smart, but they just come up with technobabble or suggestions that happen to be smarter than the rest of the crew (and those suggestions are often made more retarded to highlight the 'smartness' of the smarty-man). In other words, the 'smarty guy' is actually only relatively smart compared to the rest of the cast, and isn't actually smart at all.
I agree with you on this. More than most other TV characters, Spock's intelligence is actually as advertised. Other 'smart' characters are just guys who use big words, as if somehow smart people can only express themselves in completely unintelligible means, when truly smart people would be able to express the most complex of ideas in the most elegant choice of words.

It is however, completely sad that NO ONE in Voyager or Enterprise was close to being as smart as Spock.

If I were to 'modernize' the old crew, I'd probably make McCoy the ethical/practical center of the show reflecting the balance between Kirk and Spock. McCoy is so contradictory that he seems to make better sense as the 'middle ground', which is how Kirk is traditionally viewed (torn between McCoy and Spock).

Last edited:
Spock , He was cool. Even if I'm not fussed on original I liked spock and still say his death is one of the greatest deaths ever.

For me this all came down to the Star Trek episode of Futurama. When they killed the Trekkies in "a manner befitting virgins".

*officer pushes nerd into the volcano*

"He's dead Jim."

McCoy FTW.

"Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor, not a urologist!"

"A urologist is a doctor."

"...Dammit Jim! Get those pants off and I'll take a look. This better not be spacecrabs again. I almost lost a finger last time."

Latest posts

Back