Star Wars General Discussion (dedicated to Houde)

I'm watching the timeline as it is before any new material comes out so I can be up-to-date/refreshed. I'm only 10 minutes into Episode One and this is a LOT worse than I remember it being.

Yeah, it's cringe-worthy. Lucas has openly admitted he hates writing and isn't good at it. His first few drafts for Star Wars were pretty bad, apparently. He asked his group of friends who were Hollywood elite in the 1970's (Coppolla, Spielberg, De Palma, etc) and others, including his wife at the time, for suggestions, etc. Essentially, what made the original trilogy so good were largely ideas and suggestions from other people, not George. And of course, he only wrote outlines for Empire and Return.

He only wrote the outlines/story for the Indy films, the actual scripts were written by a series of other writers.

Lucas, of course, wrote the prequels mostly himself (with some help from Jonathan Hales on Attack of the Clones), and his inability to write interesting and relatable characters, let alone direct them, shined through.

So yeah, I'm glad others are handling the writing chores for Episodes VII-IX.

So I read an interesting article about Marcia Lucas, George's ex-wife who divorced him in 1983. The article did a great job of explaining that Marcia was the counter to George's overly-cerebral approach, was the main motivation in him making American Graffiti (to show her that emotion was easy to pull off in film, it was the cerebral stuff that was tough). She was editor on many of his films and also edited films by Scorsese. Anyway, she won the Academy Award for editing Star Wars (along with two other editors), and it was her influence and editing approach that made Star Wars what it was, preventing George from cutting some of the more humorous and character-driven aspects of the film. She even influenced Obi-Wan's death in Act II.

Anyway, her lack of involvement with the Prequels is often regarded by fans as a reason they lacked personality. It's also believed the love story of Anakin and Padme, including the perceived betrayal of Anakin by Padme in RotS, is influenced by their divorce. It does she'd new light on the Prequels and the vast difference in tone and general feel between the original trilogy and prequel trilogy.

Lies! George Lucas is an A-class humorist! Just look at the comedic brilliance of Jar Jar Binks.

Lies! George Lucas is an A-class humorist! Just look at the comedic brilliance of Jar Jar Binks.

tumblr_ms0chyyaVj1szny99o1_400.gif

I heard it was coke, not weed. That's why he destroyed parts of the Fant4stic set.

Also happy Star Wars Day everybody. May the Fourth be with you.

Second Star Wars Anthology movie rumored to focus on Boba Fett's origin...

Given that The Clone Wars TV series picked up on a teenage Boba attempting revenge on Mace Windu (for killing Jango in Attack of the Clones) and eventually had Boba crewing with a band of bounty hunters later on, I'm presuming the movie will pick up sometime after that with a young adult Boba (maybe around 5-10 years after Revenge of the Sith) involved in bounty hunting.

I heard it was coke, not weed. That's why he destroyed parts of the Fant4stic set.

I was kidding.

Also happy Star Wars Day everybody. May the Fourth be with you.

Indeed!

I wonder if he's still going to direct FF2.

"Insiders" are saying it's unlikely Fox will have him back to direct the sequel (assuming there is one).

Last edited:
Uh...that link HAS to be false with the amount of factual errors there are in it.

No, you don't understand what I meant. Boba isn't a Mandalorian, his entire origin of becoming a bounty hunter has been shown (some concept art for TCW even show him getting an outfit), and then there's this.

Writer-producer Simon Kinberg has been closely involved in the creative process for the second anthology film, which is set in a separate movie universe that is not associated with "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" or upcoming Episodes VIII and IX.

Why on Earth would this make ANY sense to do?

No, you don't understand what I meant. Boba isn't a Mandalorian, his entire origin of becoming a bounty hunter has been shown (some concept art for TCW even show him getting an outfit), and then there's this.

Yes his origin was shown in terms of becoming/training to become a bounty hunter with Aurra Sing and the others in The Clone Wars. I'm assuming the Anthology film will pick up with him AS a bounty hunter, but not the renowned and feared across the galaxy one he is by Empire. And he's still Mandalorian. Just because he's cloned doesn't NOT make him Mandalorian, unless I'm misunderstanding that also.

Why on Earth would this make ANY sense to do?

That's an obvious miscommunication/misunderstanding. After all the money Disney spent, and all the trouble and backlash they faced for rebooting the canon, I know they're not going to start releasing alternate universe/Legends-caliber (non-canon) films.

Season two TCW special feature Creating Mandalore. Dave Filoni talks about how Boba and Jango are NOT Mandalorian, they think the armor is cool. It's something Lucas wanted and I think it's the REAL reason Trank quit :p

So yeah, making him Mandalorian forces it into a pocket universe by itself.

Last edited:
Season two TCW special feature Creating Mandalore. Dave Filoni talks about how Boba and Jango are NOT Mandalorian, they think the armor is cool. It's something Lucas wanted and I think it's the REAL reason Trank quit :p

So yeah, making him Mandalorian forces it into a pocket universe by itself.

Ah, ok. Again, probably just miscommunication, based on the fact he wears Mandalorian armor. I promise, I very much doubt the Story Group will allow any such mistakes to happen, and Disney certainly won't be creating any alternate/offshoot/pocket universes besides the existing Legends universe material, and most definitely not a film that does so. Elseworlds/Infinities type alternate takes are one thing in comics and even novels/short stories, but I find it very hard to believe they're going to either intentionally or accidentally create a continuity screwup requiring a separate/alternate timeline.

New info on Star Wars: Journey to The Force Awakens: Shattered Empire!

Emperor Palpatine's twenty-year reign of terror came to an abrupt and fiery end in the skies above the forest moon of Endor. A decisive victory for the Rebel Alliance, to be sure, but even with the loss of its leadership, the Empire's Moffs and regional governors retained their hold on important systems from the Core to the Outer Rim, thanks to the might of the Imperial Starfleet. Now, with a power vacuum atop the Empire, those Moffs will jockey for position and control, and the heroes of the Rebel Alliance will soon discover that a wounded and fractious Empire may be more dangerous than any threat they faced before!

This is gonna be epic!

There's an upcoming mobile game called Star Wars - Uprising that follows that plot: a Grand Moff sets up a blockade in the Anoat Sector (where Hoth and Bespin are located) after the fall of the Emperor and the second Death Star, which causes smugglers and mercenaries to join up to fight the Empire as their blockade is disrupting business.

Looks like a Diablo-type game, looking forward to it. Think it'll probably be out around September or October.

Last edited:
There's an upcoming mobile game called Star Wars - Uprising that follows that plot: a Grand Moff sets up a blockade in the Anoat Sector (where Hoth and Bespin are located) after the fall of the Emperor and the second Death Star, which causes smugglers and mercenaries to join up to fight the Empire as their blockade is disrupting business.

Looks like a Diablo-type game, looking forward to it. Think it'll probably be out around September or October.

You are correct. This is definitely something that is coming out. It seems like these tie together. I hope we get something similar to G.I. Joe: Cobra Civil War and all the Moffs are just screwing the other over to reach the top.

You are correct. This is definitely something that is coming out. It seems like these tie together. I hope we get something similar to G.I. Joe: Cobra Civil War and all the Moffs are just screwing the other over to reach the top.

There's definitely a crossover element between the Uprising game, Shattered Empire comics, etc.

As for infighting, I'm sure that'll play a part at some point.

Latest posts

Back