Does he go to space in this one? I felt that was a little forced....like robinson said right from the start he was gonna put starman out with the stars. and then he does. not that i didn't love every minute of it.

Not yet, but the seeds are dropping that it is going to happen soon. He found out that his current girlfriend is really Will Payton's sister.

Last edited:
Does he go to space in this one? I felt that was a little forced....like robinson said right from the start he was gonna put starman out with the stars. and then he does. not that i didn't love every minute of it.
I liked everything but the space cabbie issue. That one was just... bad. Very bad. But the return to My Blue Heaven issue more than makes up for it.

I expect I'll be getting these soon. I want to make sure I can get them before they're expensive.

13643_400x600.jpg

This came in the mail today. Holee ****.

First off, it has several issues that have never been collected before. I have read half of it so far, and its awesome like the previous ones. And guess what?

IT HAS A FREAKING STARMAN/BATMAN/HELLBOY CROSSOVER!

I am hella excited for that.

More once I finish.

The cool stuff about the stuff with Starman in space and stuff is how it kinda ties into the current JSA Starman... God Bless Geoff Johns for following up on old leads.

My library still hasn't got the first volume of this, despite having 2 and 3.

RAGE.

Like some of the other people in this thread, I'm reading Starman for the first time as the Omnibuses come out. I've read the first three and ordered the fourth on Amazon, to be delivered sometime in the next week or two. For the most part, it really is deserving of its reputation. Minor distractions are James Robinson's prose drifting between being slightly overwritten and downright purple and occasionally letting his fondness for the Golden age heroes (and their world) reach a didactic level. On occasion, The Shadow will end up being frustratingly sue-ish (though, I like most of his appearances/issues). Of course, these grievances are ultimately just sort of trivial. Everything else is amazing, especially when analyzed contextually. This came out in the 90's.

I have a lot of trouble believing that this is the same guy who wrote 'Cry For Justice'. It just doesn't process.

Last edited:
I have a feeling this is what happened with "Cry for Justice". Editorial wanted a specific story to be written, and Robinson was told to write that story in his unique way (Hence the golden age stuff thrown in there, Blackhawk Island, Shade's appearance, Congorilla, etc.) and so he did the best he could. Kinda like One More Day.

Starman was his baby as well. Editorial didn't really get involved in that.

I have a feeling this is what happened with "Cry for Justice". Editorial wanted a specific story to be written, and Robinson was told to write that story in his unique way (Hence the golden age stuff thrown in there, Blackhawk Island, Shade's appearance, Congorilla, etc.) and so he did the best he could. Kinda like One More Day.

Starman was his baby as well. Editorial didn't really get involved in that.

Yeah, there was stupidity in 'Cry For Justice' that transcended editorial interference, though. A lot of James Robinson's lower-profile work on Superman has been pretty mediocre, too. It really doesn't affect my enjoyment of Starman, which is a consistently a joy to read every time I receive an Omnibus in the mail. But I'm just curious as to what caused this massive gap in quality. Like I said in my previous post, it just doesn't process.

Have any of you read "The Golden Age"? I've heard some mention it in the same breath as Starman...

I'm not really reading any off the posts in this thread in order to avoid any spoilers, but I've been wanting to look into this series.

The omnibus series collects Starman Vol. 2 (the James Robinson run), correct? Am I missing anything significant having never read Vol. 1?

You are correct, this is the James Robinson run.

And as someone who never read the first Starman Volume, I did not need it one bit. Robinson works in what you need to know seemlessly into the story.

You are correct, this is the James Robinson run.

And as someone who never read the first Starman Volume, I did not need it one bit. Robinson works in what you need to know seemlessly into the story.

Neat. I'll start it within the next couple days here.

Oh my.

That is the way to end a comic series.

What makes this story great is that it has an ending. Jack gives up being a superhero, for all the right reasons, and it ends. All the plotlines saw a conclusion, all of them came together, every story had a purpose and the heroic end was done great.

Every character changed from the beginning to the end. They all had development in good ways. Even the bad guys.

The best of all I enjoyed Shade's witty remarks. He always had a flair for the dramatic.

The final omnibus collects all the final issues, 20 in total, and this includes the Blackest Night issue as number 81. This epic is a great story for anyone to read, it's self contained, whenever it crosses into the bigger DC universe it explains the crossover, and you don't need to know anything going into this, I didn't, and I followed it perfectly.

81+ issues of sheer brillance. Bravo Mr. Robinson.

Finally read Gran Guignol and I must say that this is my favorite run on a comic book ever. The entire thing.

Personal Favorites are anything involving the Shade, Talking with David segments, WESLEY DODDS, and all of Jack and Mikaal's adventures in space.

Oh and Ted Knight's death may be the most incredible and touching ways for a character to go out.

Simply stunning.

Latest posts

Back