Steve Dillon to pencil Ultimate X-Men #58, new Ultimate project from Vaughan

Goodwill

Vaughan Reveals "Secret" Project

[imgl]http://ultimatecentral.com/images/news-dillon.jpg[/imgl] Brian K. Vaughan has announced on his website that Preacher co-creator Steve Dillon will be filling in on pencils for one issue of Ultimate X-Men - issue #58.

"In order for Stuart to stay ahead of schedule, Marvel asked if we would be okay with using a special guest artist for Issue #58... MR. STEVE DILLON!

Co-creator of Preacher and one of my absolute favorite artists ever, Steve has never drawn the X-Men before (I think?), and I'm sure he's the last artist many of you expected to see on a book like this. But we all agreed that Steve was the only guy for this issue, a standalone bank heist story focusing on Professor Xavier and a 100% all-new mutant villain named SYNDICATE. I'm particularly proud of this script, and I hope that fans of Ex Machina and Y: The Last Man who've been reluctant to read a "mainstream" book like UXM will give this issue a shot, if only to see Steve's insane design for our new baddie.

Meanwhile, Mr. Immonen will be gearing up for what will likely be my last arc on the book as solo writer (#61-65), a huge story that will reintroduce Havok and Emma Frost to our pages, as well as some other old friends. This epic will tie together a lot of elements from Bendis and Millar's runs, as well as set up some of the spectacular stuff director Bryan Singer & Co. have planned for their upcoming yearlong extravaganza. I had a great meeting with Mr. Usual Suspects a few months ago, and I'll be sticking around for at least his first few issues, just helping to translate the incredibly cool ideas he and X2 writers Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris have come up with into comic-book form.

Finally, I'll be involved with one more really fun Ultimate project that Bendis and Millar have been gracious enough to let me be a part of... but it's a little too early to talk about that."

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I wouldn't be certain that its got anything to do with Geldoff unless Vaughn stated that though.

BKV noted "I'll be writing those two Ultimate characters again, but not necessarily in my run. That's all I can say right now!" Sounds like it would be connected to this.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I thought it was Vaughan was the one "loosely" involved and it was Bendis and Millar's project.

Things change...Ultimate Nightmare/Secret/Arrival/??? was Quesada's, then Millar's, then Ellis's.

Caduceus said:
BKV noted "I'll be writing those two Ultimate characters again, but not necessarily in my run. That's all I can say right now!" Sounds like it would be connected to this.

Here's just another example of SOMETHING brewing at Marvel. Sadly, we have nothing more but speculation... Also, which two characters is he referring to?

Sweet. I love me some preacher, so i'll probably have to pick this issue up. just the one though.

Yeah, nice job Goody.

By the way, in my edit I cut out your speculation - feel free to repost.

What? I thought that it might've been the answer to Geldoff, however, I'm not sure how that would work with Vaughan writing.

Also, Cad, did you ever find out who those two characters were?

Goodwill said:
Also, Cad, did you ever find out who those two characters were?

I can't believe i posted it that way. That was seriously moronic of me. Those two characters were, in fact, Gambit and Rogue. Seriously. I can't believe I did that. I'm beating myself around the head with the stupidity stick as I post.

*Note that may in fact be my problem

So, Vaughan was saying that he'd be writing those two characters again but not in the pages of Ultimate X-Men? That's sort of odd, isn't it? I mean, if you pulled any characters from the X-Men, you wouldn't expect the two of them to fit into the puzzle, now would you? Maybe this is the Ultimate HYDRA idea everyone seems to be kicking around... These are two characters who pissed the Von Strukers off a bit...

Goodwill said:
So, Vaughan was saying that he'd be writing those two characters again but not in the pages of Ultimate X-Men? That's sort of odd, isn't it? I mean, if you pulled any characters from the X-Men, you wouldn't expect the two of them to fit into the puzzle, now would you? Maybe this is the Ultimate HYDRA idea everyone seems to be kicking around... These are two characters who pissed the Von Strukers off a bit...

His wording indicates its not in his run. So whatelse is he writing where Rogue and Gambit could appear? This sounds like a reference to his "Secret Project" that he let out.

Goodwill said:
I'm thinking you're right... I totally see this as the HYDRA elaboration.

i will wait and see. It isn't the Fernis twins but their uncleor father (I forget) who has the assosciation with Hydra.

Well, daddy could get angry at the two of them and reak some havoc, you know?

There could be a second Ultimate X title, too.

Also, does anyone know where I could see some of Steve Dillon's work?

Latest posts

Back