Steve McNiven to be Singer's Ultimate X-Men artist

ourchair said:
I'm no big fan of Knights 4, but he draws a good Reed for the series with the stretching looking as unreal as it should.

McNiven's awesome art on that book almost made up for the crappy writing.

Goodwill said:
Steve McNiven's career is just taking off, OurChair, Marvel's only giving him the oppurtunity that he deserves.
Exactly. He wasn't really known before, but once he became Young Guns artist, and was being showcased (in a sense, lol), people really started to notice his art.

UltimateE said:
McNiven's awesome art on that book almost made up for the crappy writing.
Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's work on that book is embarassing.

He has this weird Spielbergian maudlin sensibility that tries to imbue the FF with a sentimentality, trying to market the characters to Non-Believers. but on the other hand Knights 4 is so rooted in existing continuity that it makes it difficult for the emotional resonance to work for anyone who isn't thoroughly knowledgeable about the characters.

A hearty ugh I say to Sacasa.

You guys are nuts. :p

Sacassa is great. His first arc on that is the best still. And McNiven made it better. But I think Sacassa writes a better series with Nightcrawler. It'd be great if McNiven did some issues there. :D

icemastertron said:
You guys are nuts. :p

Sacassa is great. His first arc on that is the best still. And McNiven made it better. But I think Sacassa writes a better series with Nightcrawler. It'd be great if McNiven did some issues there. :D
Okay okay, I'll be fair. I only read the second trade and not the first so for all I know Sacasa did the most ace piece of work EVER on the Four in the first arc. :D

icemastertron said:
Exactly. Thats why his question I dont get. I mean, Singer picked him, so why wouldn;t he know...
I think it's a pretty sure thing that Singer would know who his artist is at least a few days before they make a public announcement of it on Wizard.

However, I don't think it's a sure thing that McNiven was "his pick", unless Marvel was so charitable as to give Singer the opportunity to choose ANYONE. Remember these decisions have to be made with a lot of thought in mind, especially when you consider what a tightly booked schedule McNiven has.

ourchair said:
However, I don't think it's a sure thing that McNiven was "his pick", unless Marvel was so charitable as to give Singer the opportunity to choose ANYONE. Remember these decisions have to be made with a lot of thought in mind, especially when you consider what a tightly booked schedule McNiven has.
I think it's more of that he can pick anyone that would be available at the time.

Well, he picked a good choice... If Singer's going for that cinematic comic McNiven's right to translate that into the panels.

"I choose you Mark Millar!" - Singer
"Uh, he's not an option. And besides, he's busy writing." - Marvel
"Shut up! Just because I didn't write X3!" - Singer

ProjectX2 said:
"I choose you Mark Millar!" - Singer
"Uh, he's not an option. And besides, he's busy writing." - Marvel
"Shut up! Just because I didn't write X3!" - Singer

"Aye, I'll draw the whole Ultimate Universe for a 40 ounce!" -Millar

Latest posts

Back