Sunshine (discussion & spoilers)

I have just watched this movie.

I actually feel the need to resurrect this thread to decry how absolutely godawful this movie was. My God, that was two hours of my life that I am never going to get back.

I thought it was directed beautifully, and was nicely atmospheric, but nothing made any sense! The entire plot is a plot hole in itself, the cast is 'stereotypical sci-fi cast v.2', and the mad murderer thrown in at the end was a huge WTF? moment in the worst possible way.

Also, did anyone notice how they killed off every ethnic minority or asian character, with the only 3 white characters surviving longest?

Fluff, disguised as a highbrow thriller. Mostly nonsense.

This sums up a lot of what the critics said. It's one of the few movies where two of the U.S.' major critics gave a movie a B+ and an F, respectively.

I thought it was directed beautifully, and was nicely atmospheric, but nothing made any sense! The entire plot is a plot hole in itself, the cast is 'stereotypical sci-fi cast v.2', and the mad murderer thrown in at the end was a huge WTF? moment in the worst possible way.
This basically sums up the problem. The suspense was also insanely done - you were supposed to be freaking out for the first half an hour when everyone's running around in their GIANT GOLD SPACESUITS, but nothing's really happening thats that tense, then there's the big dull patch in the middle, than RANDOM PSYCHOTIC.

The alternate ending was even worse and I couldn't imagine how that was even possible.

Also, did anyone notice how they killed off every ethnic minority or asian character, with the only 3 white characters surviving longest?
On the other hand, there were Asians which was novel. And two of the whiteys died before the Gardening-Asian Lady.

It was like the individual people responsible for this film did their best work, but they teamed up to form nonsense.
Kind of makes you feel sorry for them.

Also, I've always liked any piece of pop culture that tackles the idea that exploration or discovery fundamentally alters the psychology of the person encountering these new experiences, even if it was pretty damn vaguely handled in this film.

I wouldn't call the cast 'stereotypical sci-fi v.2' though, but I wouldn't call them terribly inventive either. The problem was that the writing team was zigging and zagging about with what they wanted to do with these characters.
It could have been so good, but it just...wasn't.

I really enjoyed it. Also, Cillian Murphy scares me.

This has got to be one of the most discussable movies of the year.

It's too bad they didn't do a lot of it completely differently, but I still liked it a lot. Some of it was just pure, distilled sci-fi magic.

8/10. More talk later. Me bed now.

This has got to be one of the most discussable movies of the year.

It's too bad they didn't do a lot of it completely differently, but I still liked it a lot. Some of it was just pure, distilled sci-fi magic.

8/10. More talk later. Me bed now.
It is.

I could talk about it forever.

And I don't even think it's all that great a film.

I recently watched this with Tagalog subtitles and it was ****ing awesome. It's very rare to see English dialogue get subtitles for my country, but the intense seriousness of the film gets heightened by it.

"Namamatay ang araw. Ako si Robert Capa, kasama ng pitong tauhan, ay lumayas sa mundo sa gitna ng tag-lamig. Ito ay Icarus II."

I frikin loved this movie. The shot where the huge sun deflector part of the spaceship turn and you can see the sun gave me goosebumps. I was completely drawn in the whole time. It was just a beautiful looking film. I love the over the top save the Earth by recharging the Sun plot. It is definitely a film that needs to be seen and the theater.

I was really impressed. The visual were amazing and I loved the cast. I must buy this on Bluray. HD is the way to really watch this movie.

You know, the more I think about this movie, the more frustrated I get.

It's a good movie, and everything I said inthat post up there still stands, but parts of it are just so stupid or weak or derivitave that just doesn't make it, and that sucks because with a few not-even-difficult changes, it could've been the greatest sci-fi film in years and stand for generations as a classic.

The entire plot literally hinges on the fact that somebody would spend trillions of dollars building a spaceship designed to fly to the Sun and not design it so that the ship can tell where the Sun is or know to automatically point its shield that way.

This is one of my favourite films. There's just something about it... it's both disturbing and beautiful at the same time. I think it's magnificent and it made me love Danny Boyle and his work.

Latest posts

Back