Superman Returns movie discussion *Spoilers*

How would you rate Superman Returns?

• Total voters
Oscar Nominations were today; this, along with Poseidon and Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest are the noms in the category Best Visual Effects.

Oscar Nominations were today; this, along with Poseidon and Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest are the noms in the category Best Visual Effects.

Pirates will win. Period. It had the best CGI I'd ever seen. I was stunned when I found out that Davy Jones had been CGI the entire time.

The CGI in SR, on the other hand, was painfully obvious to me and took away from some of the best scenes in the film(Superman flying the shuttle into space was ridiculous, as was that shot at the end right before he flies into space).

I really liked the plane scene, and it was probably my favourite part of the movie. If Superman Returns wins, it'll probably be for that.

The plane rescue scene is the best scene in the film. The film is pure Superman gold until, so desperate for an ending, they rip off the Last Testament of Jesus Christ.

The plane rescue scene is the best scene in the film. The film is pure Superman gold until, so desperate for an ending, they rip off the Last Testament of Jesus Christ.

The plane scene just doesn't really do it for me, because the CGI is so screamingly, painfully obvious that I can't take it seriously.

IMO the two best scenes are running through the cornfields as a kid, and rescuing the boat.

The fact remains that one post of Bass is worth more than all of you nebies posts combined.

I still say it's a great film. Flaws and all.

I thought Jews don't recognize The Last Testament? If so, that means there is nothing to rip off.

Taken from another thread as to go off topic

Comic strip, comic book, manga, bandes desinee, fumetti,... now you're just splitting hairs. That's like saying the Tintin movie is not a comic book movie because it's based on a 'bandes desinee'.

No it's not splitting hairs. Comic strip = basically no on going story , pick up and read and know where you are just for fun , like peanuts.

Comic book actually has on going stories , is actually collected in a comic book not found online or in news paper. Maga I'll say will count as comic book movie as they have all the elements of comic books but some diffrences.

This i agree with. Only because Garfield is one of the worse comic strips EVER. But regardless of the correctness of your statement, Garfield is STILL the worse comic book ever, because your statement doesn't prove it is any better than Superman Returns.

Saying that one comics' source material (Garfield) is crap and therefore making another comic book movie (Superman Returns) worse, is like saying that Youngblood the movie would be better than Superman Returns.

Ok you want me to compare films?

Garfield :
Pros
  • Good blend of cgi and live action (not really a pro but i'll put it)
  • Bill Murray was great as Garfield 's voice as he sounds like the old cartoon and captured the sarcasm and humour of Garfield well.
  • Funny in parts where it wants to be.
  • Fun

Returns :
Pro:
  • Cgi (that's why i added cgi as pro so returns had one good thing)

Let's look at returns as a film ignoring the comic stuff for now. The plot holes e.g The date on "why the world doesnt need superman" is February DESPITE the fact the film is in September! stand out like saw thumb and there are too many to write down and I don't care enough about the film to actually list them all.

The fact Kevin Spacey is a good actor , no where near my favourite but I he is still god as films like "The Usual Suspects" have shown yet the director of the film allowed him to act in a way soap stars would shun their nose at. As well as coming off in parts as a bad Gene Hackman impression.

The story also has a twist in which superman is the father of Lois's son which from a point not comic point is ok IF it was not done in such a cheesy way that any iddiot could see coming a mile away.

They then after doing this twist actually don't follow up on it in a way worth caring and the film suffers for that fact as well.

They treat the viewers as idiots as one minute kyrptonite weakens superman to the point where he can't stand up any more. Then for reasons they don't mention and don't say he charged up his powers as they never actually explain it film-wise. he could like an island of it.

Not a rock or bolder but a god damn island full of it where parts are inches from him at all times. THEN as a final spit in the face of continuity they pull a piece out of him!

The acting not just from Kevin Spacey is horrible it's cringe worthy at parts like Mr freeze in Batman and robin. The entire film has no non-effects wise redeeming qualities.

It's actually worse or at least as bad as films it replaced (III and IV) but at least they had redeeming qualities. Horrible , Horrible film where it's so bad if given the choice I would rather watch howard the duck or catwoman and we know how bad they are.

Last edited:
My two cents is that it's a good film overall, and a great one in places but it's definitely the biggest load of wasted potential in the superhero movie universe. There are a dozen far worse superhero films out there, but none of them were already working with a set of characters that should get you about a hundred points of good will right off the bat.

I'd only rank it in the top six or seven superhero movies at max, and when we're talking about the new freaking Superman movie, and comparing it to the series-starters the other two biggest heroes got(Batman Begins and Spider-Man, who're both neck and neck for top spot on my list), that's a complete disgrace.

No it's not splitting hairs. Comic strip = basically no on going story , pick up and read and know where you are just for fun , like peanuts.
Garfield may not have an ongoing story, but that doesn't mean all comic strips do not have an ongoing story. Clearly you have never read something like The Phantom. Or Dick Tracy. Or Tarzan. Or Prince Valiant. Or Mary Worth's Family. Or Modesty Blaise. And NONE of those strips are spinoffs from comic books.
SSJmole said:
Comic book actually has on going stories
Yes, but that isn't the defining aspect that separates them from what strips are. And there ARE comic books without ongoing stories, as you very well know.
SSJmole said:
is actually collected in a comic book not found online or in news paper.
The very first comic books started as collections of newspaper strips. And even today, online strips like PVP have become collected as comic books (and not just as TPBs, but as monthlies)

Don't attempt to discuss the form and content differences of comics when you obviously don't know how to distinguish them.

SSJmole said:
Ok you want me to compare films?
I will concede that this is a matter of opinion, and will not debate any further whether or not Superman Returns is the worst comic book movie of all time (which btw, was our original disagreement, and NOT whether or not it is better than Garfield)

SSJMole said:
The story also has a twist in which superman is the father of Lois's son which from a point not comic point is ok IF it was not done in such a cheesy way that any iddiot could see coming a mile away.

They then after doing this twist actually don't follow up on it in a way worth caring and the film suffers for that fact as well.
I agree. You don't need to argue your case all so strongly, simply because I already said I hated Superman Returns.

SSJmole said:
Horrible , Horrible film where it's so bad if given the choice I would rather watch howard the duck or catwoman and we know how bad they are.
I liked Howard the Duck. No, really.

SSJmole said:
Let's look at returns as a film ignoring the comic stuff for now. The plot holes e.g The date on "why the world doesnt need superman" is February DESPITE the fact the film is in September!
Let me repeat that while I DO hate Superman Returns and that I agree that there ARE plot holes, your example is kind of bunk since it IS the idea that Lois wrote that "Why The World Doesn't Need Superman?" piece many months before the movie takes place.

It's not entirely unreasonable for her to have written it before the movie takes place since she got a Pulitzer Prize for it, and I doubt that the article could have gotten the attention and effect on the reading public for it to be considered by the Pulitzer people to award it all shortly before the movie takes place. The piece was written in February, and the Pulitzer Award is usually given in June. The movie takes place in September.

In short, it's NOT a plot hole.

There are tons of plot holes, but this is not one of them.

Last edited:
It's not entirely unreasonable for her to have written it before the movie takes place since she got a Pulitzer Prize for it, and I doubt that the article could have gotten the attention and effect on the reading public for it to be considered by the Pulitzer people to award it all shortly before the movie takes place. The piece was written in February, she gets a Pulitzer in June. The movie takes place in September.

In short, it's NOT a plot hole.

There are tons of plot holes, but this is not one of them.

BUT Pulitzer prizes are awarded for work the previous year. so Lois would not been able to get one for it at the time of the film. Plot hole.

And it's cool like you said it is a matter of opinion. However I don't mind a nice debate on it. by this I mean you didn't insult me or use the "you like *insert thing* so your opinions are void" cop-out excuse which is fine. In fact I like it.

However since you said you wont debate it further I'll let leave it. and yes my original statement was "worst comic-book movie" as I honestly think it is unless "son of the mask" counts

BUT Pulitzer prizes are awarded for work the previous year. so Lois would not been able to get one for it at the time of the film. Plot hole.
Then she got it LAST year. Superman was gone for FIVE years.

NOT a plot hole.

SSJmole said:
And it's cool like you said it is a matter of opinion. However I don't mind a nice debate on it. by this I mean you didn't insult me or use the "you like *insert thing* so your opinions are void" cop-out excuse which is fine. In fact I like it.
I only believe in doing that if it actually has a chance of being funny. And by 'funny' I mean because there's no way for me to shoe horn a pedophile joke in.

Last edited:
Then she got it LAST year. Superman was gone for FIVE years.

NOT a plot hole.

But the date was February THAT year. So the only time she could win it would be the year AFTER the film.

Mole....your gripes are on stuff too significant to really count as plot holes.

Sure they might be a valid irk to you.....but in the larger scheme of the film's flaws....they don't add up to anything substantial that would hold weight in this arguement.

Mole....your gripes are on stuff too significant to really count as plot holes.

Sure they might be a valid irk to you.....but in the larger scheme of the film's flaws....they don't add up to anything substantial that would hold weight in this arguement.

Yes but I used 2 one small like that and a huge one (island lifting) to show that nearly everything big or small in this film was either done badly or a plot hole and so also done badly.

If that makes sense at all.

Also the other reason for mentioning that is even though it is small when it jumps out at everyone with half a brain (Not an insult but I'm dumb , I know this. Most people here are smarter than me and so I figure well if I spot it surely people smarter than I would.) it takes you out of the film and reminds your just there watching you can't loose yourself in it.

Imagine the passion of the christ if jesus had been wearing a sports watch. You see? It's ok if it's a few small little ones IF it's just a few and the film is actually good but when it's all bad things like that only make it worse

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back