Superman Returns: The Video Game

I don't see how anyone could call the Spidey 2 game "mediocre".

Not to drag this thread off-topic (I suggest any other Spiderman 2 replies go to this thread) but Spider-man 2 was a mediocre game. Great physics engine resulting in a great webswinging sim. Spiderman moved the way a human would move if they were able to do that. But everything was just medicore.

Combat
Story
Graphics
Voice acting
Various tasks
Bonuses

It was all just meh.

To me.....Superman looks to be the same. The game looks as if it'll follow the movie storyline with some twists so they can use the rogues gallery (sames as Spiderman 2). But the combat, graphics, etc all just look mediocre. Like they needed more time to polish it but couldn't delay the game anymore.

I am looking forward to playing this for the free-flight. I anticipate everything else to be just ok.

shouldn't this game be out already? Shouldn't this game have been released around the time the movie came out?

shouldn't this game be out already? Shouldn't this game have been released around the time the movie came out?

i think they wanted to work on game longer (which is good) and then bring out dvd release time. So it can get intrest of fans and be a fairly good game.

Wow.......what a letdown. I mean big time.

I didn't even call it right----I thought the flight portion of the game would be spot on.....but I've seen tighter air controls in Robotech:Battlecry (which is an AWESOME game!).

The flight control was mediocre at best. There is nothing more annoying than flying thru the city at medium speed and then an attack goes off that you need to rush to, and then flying smack dab into a building. I mean yeah---I could fly above the towers and then fly back down....but it'd be quicker and more thrilling if I could manuver between the buildings.

The combat is ok. Supes got some combos....but they aren't anything more complicated and useless than the combos from Spidey2. They just look pretty and are a lot better than pressing punch 3 times over and over again. Too bad the dodge feature is pretty much useless. What good is a superspeed dodging if I can only go left or right. No zoom back? No zoom forward? Lame.

The lock-on feature is more useless than the lock on feature in GTA3. I have a giant robot smacking me in the face with a lazer......why do I want to lock onto a badguy 3 blocks away? And if I do lock onto said bad guy in the different time zone......why can't I just use the R3 button to scroll to the next bad guy I wanna lock onto? It's more useless than a Gamma thread.

The story is a page straight outta Spidey2. We have the mainstory---but we'll throw in random ways to make sure we can get a cameo out of other villains. I know you need rogues to add some reasons for Superman to fight....but ugh.

The graphics are most definitely better on a XBOX360. If you're gonna play this on a PS2....drinks lots of water---because you'll want to piss on it later. The game looks horrible on the PS2. Accpet no less than the 360.

A couple more gripes---

The one feature I did like was the sonic boom. I was flying straight up as high and as fast as I could go and all of a sudden we see a white cloud explode around Superman as he breaks the sound barrier. At first it was extremely cool. Then when I could go no higher...I just hovered and looked down at the city/world.....then I just exploded towards the ground (trying to recreate the boom just like in the movie). I got my boom. But what I didn't get was an extra boost of speed. I thought you'd at least get a second or 2 of you going extremely fast from the initial boost (kinda like in Burnout/NFS). But no. You get the boom and then a bit of silence. No boost? Lame. But still........flying as high as you can then zooming towards the planet is as fun as climbing the Empire State Bldg in Spidey 2---then diving off (you all know you've done it more times than you can count).

The voice acting is boring. Yeah they got Bosworth, Spacey and Routh to do the voices......but they sound about as monotone as Macguire did in the Spiderman game.

The CGI for the films are weak. EA can do so much better than that.

Bottom line---this game was late and still feels as rushed as Enter the Matrix. If this is the best they can some up with---they should've just left it alone. Maybe worth a rental over the weekend just for the novelty of playing as Superman in a freeroam enviroment......but NOT worth a buy. Unless you're a HUGE Superman fan and just have to collect all things Superman. And even then---buy the game---play it for an hour or 2---put it deep at the bottoms of your game stack---and go watch your Superman: Brainiac Attacks DVD.

1.5/5

Ugh..... :sick:

Shame too. :cry:

I was hyped on this game even if i did not and proberly wont see the movie then it happened. I saw EA on the box and my hope faded.

Still going to get it. It's just imo EA always seems to rush things and disapoint. The sims was good as was sims 2 but they wrecked it with expantions. the games based on lotr movies looks great but again disapointed.

Then I got madden on 360 and thought yes ea has got somthing right till i put in game and saw that the ps2 version and normal xbox version actually had more features! Need for speed i love but every year thing they mention are not in.

now this game looks incredible i'll admit it could be a great game but dont be surprised if you get diapointed

I was wrong:shock: I downloaded the demo on Xbox live and played it. Holy crap I enjoyed it and I am not the biggest superman fan (i don't really like him except Smallville , movies , tv and cartoons. but a few comics are ok but back to my point)

Super Speed, heat vision , Super breath and more are done very well in this game. Plus you can unlock other costumes e.g golden age superman. Also this makes me want the full game even more :
Enter in the cheat code found on the "Superman Returns" DVD and have the ability to play as Bizarro, as long as you like. Simply enter the code and fly to the top of the GNN building where you will have the ability to transform to playable Bizarro. Wreak havoc throughout the entire open world of Metropolis as Bizarro for an unlimited amount of time, and simply fly to the threat indicator located at the other end of Metropolis to change back to Superman

With my birthday coming up in December. My girlfriend asked me what game i would like I said this. going by the demo alone this game is a 8/10

I got the full game today as an early birthday present

It kicks ***.

So far i beat warworld , a big meteor and more and I might add I got 3-4 achievements for my 360

it is a good game after playing full game I'm updating to a 8.5/10

I rented Superman Returns for PS2 last night. It has alot going for it but some huge problems make it less enjoyable the more I play.

First the good stuff:
Music in games is not something that I notice and most of the time I end up turning the music off due to it's crappiness. The music for Superman returns is nothing short of perfect. It really sets the mood and enhaces the game. A+

Graphics wise this game is pretty damn good. The cut-scenes look amazing except that Supes eyes make him look really lifeless and somewhat brain-dead. There may be some things I could pick out that aren't so good but I would have to look pretty hard. Very nice looking. A (360 version with a HDTV would most likley get a A++)

Another thing this game has going for it is the story does not follow the movie. That is a big plus to me. Adding more characters makes it much more enjoyable. Plus you can play as Bizzaro and try to destroy Metropolis. I haven't played though the whole thing yet so it may change but right now it get a B+

Now the bad stuff:
The contols for this game ****in suck a huge ****. They are so bad it makes me sick. This game with much potential is completly and utterly destoyed by this flaw. It is frustrating, confusing, and almost enough to put your controller down and snap the disc in two, five minutes into playing. It seems like button presses don't work at times and are very slow to react the rest of the time. Just disgusting!

Flying is OK for a while but it wears thin very fast. F- You suck EA!

Another thing that stood out to me was that I played an hour or so and got 31% completed. What the ****? How is this even possible? This may just be the shortest game ever. We'll see though.

Overall this game get a C. I don't care how many great things are in a game, if the controls aren't up to par the games worth takes a huge hit. I'm pretty forgiving so it's worth the rental to me, but think twice before you buy.

Not to drag this thread off-topic (I suggest any other Spiderman 2 replies go to this thread) but Spider-man 2 was a mediocre game. Great physics engine resulting in a great webswinging sim. Spiderman moved the way a human would move if they were able to do that. But everything was just medicore.
I agree. Spider-Man 2 had good things, but was overall a mediocre game. I think the franchise started to get way too much praise for the fact that they actually got a decent web-swinging mechanic in the original PS1 non-movie game. Since then, it seems like reviewers consistently give the games a pass JUST for the swinging.

But on-topic: Superman Returns totally stank. I think the only thing that can beat it for stink is Superman 64.

Wow.......what a letdown. I mean big time.

I didn't even call it right----I thought the flight portion of the game would be spot on.....but I've seen tighter air controls in Robotech:Battlecry (which is an AWESOME game!).

The flight control was mediocre at best. There is nothing more annoying than flying thru the city at medium speed and then an attack goes off that you need to rush to, and then flying smack dab into a building. I mean yeah---I could fly above the towers and then fly back down....but it'd be quicker and more thrilling if I could manuver between the buildings.

The combat is ok. Supes got some combos....but they aren't anything more complicated and useless than the combos from Spidey2. They just look pretty and are a lot better than pressing punch 3 times over and over again. Too bad the dodge feature is pretty much useless. What good is a superspeed dodging if I can only go left or right. No zoom back? No zoom forward? Lame.

The lock-on feature is more useless than the lock on feature in GTA3. I have a giant robot smacking me in the face with a lazer......why do I want to lock onto a badguy 3 blocks away? And if I do lock onto said bad guy in the different time zone......why can't I just use the R3 button to scroll to the next bad guy I wanna lock onto? It's more useless than a Gamma thread.

The story is a page straight outta Spidey2. We have the mainstory---but we'll throw in random ways to make sure we can get a cameo out of other villains. I know you need rogues to add some reasons for Superman to fight....but ugh.

The graphics are most definitely better on a XBOX360. If you're gonna play this on a PS2....drinks lots of water---because you'll want to piss on it later. The game looks horrible on the PS2. Accpet no less than the 360.

A couple more gripes---

The one feature I did like was the sonic boom. I was flying straight up as high and as fast as I could go and all of a sudden we see a white cloud explode around Superman as he breaks the sound barrier. At first it was extremely cool. Then when I could go no higher...I just hovered and looked down at the city/world.....then I just exploded towards the ground (trying to recreate the boom just like in the movie). I got my boom. But what I didn't get was an extra boost of speed. I thought you'd at least get a second or 2 of you going extremely fast from the initial boost (kinda like in Burnout/NFS). But no. You get the boom and then a bit of silence. No boost? Lame. But still........flying as high as you can then zooming towards the planet is as fun as climbing the Empire State Bldg in Spidey 2---then diving off (you all know you've done it more times than you can count).

The voice acting is boring. Yeah they got Bosworth, Spacey and Routh to do the voices......but they sound about as monotone as Macguire did in the Spiderman game.

The CGI for the films are weak. EA can do so much better than that.

Bottom line---this game was late and still feels as rushed as Enter the Matrix. If this is the best they can some up with---they should've just left it alone. Maybe worth a rental over the weekend just for the novelty of playing as Superman in a freeroam enviroment......but NOT worth a buy. Unless you're a HUGE Superman fan and just have to collect all things Superman. And even then---buy the game---play it for an hour or 2---put it deep at the bottoms of your game stack---and go watch your Superman: Brainiac Attacks DVD.

1.5/5

Ugh..... :sick:

Shame too. :cry:

I hate to admit this but I was wrong when i changed my mind and thought it was a good game. All your points are true. This game got really boring really fast.

Traded it in at local game shop.

They need to rename it

Superman returns the game. So will anyone else who buys it.

Latest posts

Back