TCB's (9 Million) Films to Watch Before You Die

Re: TCB's 1,001 Films to Watch Before You Die

No sense worrying about ranking. And while I like Bass' idea, it would definitely bring things to a halt. There are gonna be loads of films no one on the site has seen. In a film club sort of setting it would be great though.

Bowfinger is definitely a must-see. Another original, high-concept film pulled off well.

#21. Shadow Of The Vampire (2000)
What if real-life groundbreaking director F.W. Murnau went a little too far to make his classic Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens(1921)? What if vampire actor Max Schreck insisted on only appearing on the set in full makeup and character? John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe give two of their best performances in one of the best films about film-making.

#18. Time After Time - (1979)

Malcolm McDowell is H.G. Wells in one of his few good guy roles. He time-travels from the 1800s to late 1970s San Francisco to escape Jack the Ripper (an excellent David Warner). There he tries to adjust to the modern time period and meets/falls in love with a bank teller (Mary Steenburgen; she and McDowell wed after the shooting of the film).
YES! I love Time After Time!

#22 Brick

Joseph Gordon Levitz stars as Brandon, a burnt out senior with ties to the administration of his school in this Noir styled missing persons drama.

Last edited:

#23 The Royal Tenenbaums

Wes Anderson's best movie to date with one of the greatest movie casts in recent memory. Gene Hackman, Angelica Huston, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Ben Stiller, Gweneth Paltrow, Danny Glover, Alec Baldwin (as the narrator) and greatest actor of our time Bill Murray make this one of the best assemblages I've ever seen. It's a tight and hilarious look at a messed up family of amazing people.

[video=youtube;8Eg6yIwP2vs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eg6yIwP2vs[/video]

Last edited:

#24 KUNG POW! ENTER THE FIST (2002)

One of the best Hong Kong action movie parodies ever. You can't take this seriously because it's not supposed to be! You have a cow parodying a Matrix scene for goodness sake! It's nothing but laughter every minute and it's a shame there isn't a sequel already. I love this movie to death.

#24 KUNG POW! ENTER THE FIST (2002)

One of the best Hong Kong action movie parodies ever. You can't take this seriously because it's not supposed to be! You have a cow parodying a Matrix scene for goodness sake! It's nothing but laughter every minute and it's a shame there isn't a sequel already. I love this movie to death.

Weeeeyooo weeyooo weeyooo

#25 Leon (aka The Professional) - One of my all time favorites. It was a great showcase of the acting talents of Jean Reno, Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman. It is one of the better crime films in the past 20 years.

26. Heat (1995)
Michael Mann's crime masterpiece pits two acting greats against one another only to reveal that they are two sides of the same coin. Without Heat, The Dark Knight (or even perhaps Grand Theft Auto IV) would not exist.

[video=youtube;0xbBLJ1WGwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xbBLJ1WGwQ[/video]

Last edited:
#27 Kill Bill Volume 1 & 2 (2003 / 2004)

Taratino's ultimate revenge flick.

[video=youtube;-czwy-aVbbU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czwy-aVbbU[/video]

Last edited:

#28 True Romance (1994)
A cut-throat adventure of love and fantasy peppered with crime and corruption showcasing all of our greatest traits as well as our darkest desires and our ruthless ambitions. One of Tarantino's best scripts is streamlined, allowing for simpler storytelling and a perfect film. The cast of this film couldn't be more all-star. A film that I would show aliens trying to learn about humanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

29. Groundhog Day - (1993)

"Well, it's Groundhog Day... again."

Harold Ramis' best film. Bill Murray is pitch-perfect as weatherman Phil Connors, forced to relive Groundhog Day over and over and over again, and Andie MacDowell has never been better than she is here as Rita, the object of Phil's affections. Also, Stephen Tobolowsky in one of cinema's most memorable cameos. Since GROUNDHOG DAY's release, Cher and Sunny Bono's "I Got You Babe," the song to which Phil wakes up to every morning, has been synonymous with the movie. A timeless classic, this film should be watched once a year every year on February 2nd. And remember, "Don't drive angry."

[video=youtube;oOnOSIJplEE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOnOSIJplEE[/video]

Last edited:

#30 Oldboy

A man is abducted off the street on his daughters birthday, then held captive for over a decade. When released he's told nothing and begins his quest for understanding and revenge.

And god damn the hammer scene is amazing. To do it in one continuous take...

31. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost take the zombie episode from Spaced and redo it as a feature-length zom-rom-com. It's also got video games, cornettos, zombies being taken down by crappy records and features basically everyone in British comedy. What else do you need? Don't forget to kill Philip!

[video=youtube;CfBewQPFdKE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBewQPFdKE[/video]

This list is great so far. Keep it up!

Last edited:

#32. Fight Club (1999)

A fascinating look at society, conformity, behavior, and what makes a man.

[video=youtube;SUXWAEX2jlg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUXWAEX2jlg[/video]

Last edited:

#33. 12 Angry Men. Super simple concept, 98% in a single room, purely driven by character and humanity. One of the authoritative films on the human being and most essential works of art to see, ever. What people take away from this movie should be to take a step back to look at every decision, opinion and stance you make, every day.

#34. The Rules of the Game (La Règle du Jeu). A perfectly crafted character drama. A cutting satire of life in the upper echelons in society that manages to keep each figure three dimensional and real. It's funny at times, it's heartbreaking at others. This film manages to capture that perfect blend of comedy, tragedy, and sheer emotion that defines human life.

[video=youtube;qxs4P6u1EiI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxs4P6u1EiI[/video]

Last edited:

#35 The Quick and the Dead (1995) - To me, one of Sam Raimi's most underrated movies. Sharon Stone, Leonardo DiCaprio, Russell Crowe, Tobin Bell, Lance Henrickson, and Gene Hackman, in one of the best Westerns made.

Last edited:

gotta number it, Jaggyd.

#36. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)

After a meal, there's nothing like a good cigar.

[video=youtube;13EUXqIwDkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13EUXqIwDkQ[/video]

Last edited:

#37: CATCH ME IF YOU CAN (2002)

A perfect blend of comedy and drama and one the finest films done by Steven Spielberg. Not only do you get great acting by DiCaprio & Hanks, you also get to see one of the best chases of a person ever.

I say when we hit #50, we make a compile the list and post on the front page, if possible, and keep doing at at every 50. This way, there stands less of a chance of anyone posting the same movie twice, remakes excluded.

I say when we hit #50, we make a compile the list and post on the front page, if possible, and keep doing at at every 50. This way, there stands less of a chance of anyone posting the same movie twice, remakes excluded.

I agree.

Latest posts

Back