Teen-Wolf remake rumors.

I still agree with SSJmole. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is not a remake of WIlly Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Just because the two movies are adapted from the same source material doesn't mean the latter one is a remake of the prior.

Is 300 a remake of 300 Spartans because it draws form the same story? Is the Passion of the Christ a remake of Jesus Christ Superstar?

Correct.

Ice, sorry, you are wrong about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The Tim Burton one is an adaptation of the book, and not a remake at ALL of the first one.

Have you even read the book? I can't see you disagreeing much if you had. All the stuff that was in the new film like the squirrels with the nuts and the lyrics to the Oompa-Loompa songs and Charlie's dad being there and working in a toothpaste factory and the kids having both parents there and the showing the results of the losers leaving the factory and the lack of Slugworth were straight from the book, and had nothing to do with the original film.

It's an adaptation of the book, not a remake of the movie. Tim Burton made that quite clear in all the interviews when the film came out.

Correct.

Ice, sorry, you are wrong about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The Tim Burton one is an adaptation of the book, and not a remake at ALL of the first one.

Have you even read the book? I can't see you disagreeing much if you had. All the stuff that was in the new film like the squirrels with the nuts and the lyrics to the Oompa-Loompa songs and Charlie's dad being there and working in a toothpaste factory and the kids having both parents there and the showing the results of the losers leaving the factory and the lack of Slugworth were straight from the book, and had nothing to do with the original film.

It's an adaptation of the book, not a remake of the movie. Tim Burton made that quite clear in all the interviews when the film came out.
Oh I see now. What was I thinking? I must've forgotten my pills. Silly me.

This thread should be in the museum.

Can't wait for the new teenwolf.

Last edited:
Rereading this thread makes me wish really hard I had jumped in on the argument.

For the record:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is not a Remake. It is a new adaptation of the source material. If Burton had taken the original Gene Wilder movie, and decided to do a new film based on what the first adaptation would accomplish, then it would be a remake. It would be like if somebody decided to make a Wizard of Oz movie today, but actually follow the plot of the book. That would NOT be a remake of the old MGM musical. However, if they decided to use the music from the original film, and take all the changes that film made (most notably the Ruby Slippers instead of the silver ones) with a new cast and a more modern outlook, that would be a remake.

Just like the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings films are not a remake of the Ralph Bakshi animated film.

Wikipedia sums it up nicely:
The term "remake" is generally used in reference to a movie which uses an earlier movie as the main source material, rather than in reference to a second, later movie based on the same source. For example, 2001's Ocean's Eleven is a remake of the 1960 film, while 1989's Batman is a re-interpretation of the comic book source material which also inspired 1966's Batman.

Also, Great Remakes, legitimately better than the original:
David Cronenberg's The Fly, John Carpenter's The Thing, Douglas Sirk's Imitation of Life, Frank Oz's Little Shop of Horrors, Terry Gilliam's Twelve Monkeys,

Remaking a film is always a valid choice as long as you have a vision for what that film will be, and make a real attempt to do something different and better than the original... If the point is just to remake it because there hasn't been one in a while, it's probably going to be terrible. The same rule applies to sequels/prequels.

THUS SPAKE THE DOCTOR

In case anyone hasn't already pointed it out, The Mask of Zorro is a pseudo-sequel to the original 'The Mark of Zorro' story of which there have been many (good and bad) movie incarnations, so it shouldn't be considered a remake, either. There was a book called 'The Mask of Zorro' but it had nothing to do with Diego De La Vega training a young man to become the new Zorro.

The crown jewel of remakes that comes to mind for me, is Ocean's Eleven. I find it to be far superior than the original (which was an original film and not just an adaptation of a book).

Last edited:
Rereading this thread makes me wish really hard I had jumped in on the argument.

For the record:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is not a Remake. It is a new adaptation of the source material. If Burton had taken the original Gene Wilder movie, and decided to do a new film based on what the first adaptation would accomplish, then it would be a remake. It would be like if somebody decided to make a Wizard of Oz movie today, but actually follow the plot of the book. That would NOT be a remake of the old MGM musical. However, if they decided to use the music from the original film, and take all the changes that film made (most notably the Ruby Slippers instead of the silver ones) with a new cast and a more modern outlook, that would be a remake.

Just like the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings films are not a remake of the Ralph Bakshi animated film.

Wikipedia sums it up nicely:

Also, Great Remakes, legitimately better than the original:
David Cronenberg's The Fly, John Carpenter's The Thing, Douglas Sirk's Imitation of Life, Frank Oz's Little Shop of Horrors, Terry Gilliam's Twelve Monkeys,

Remaking a film is always a valid choice as long as you have a vision for what that film will be, and make a real attempt to do something different and better than the original... If the point is just to remake it because there hasn't been one in a while, it's probably going to be terrible. The same rule applies to sequels/prequels.

THUS SPAKE THE DOCTOR

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

All of it.

Latest posts

Back