Terminator Salvation

You know I always figured The Matrix and Terminators franchises could quite possibly take place in the same universe. In a sense like The Terminator series is like the prequel to The Matrix series.

I've also thought a series like Terminator or The Matrix could be a good way to put forth a social commentary on a "sacrificing freedom for the sake of security" type of debate. Have the machines imprisoning humans in an effort to protect them. Then have a rebellion of sorts unfold as humanity rises up to reclaim their freedom.

Kindof like a Terminator-meets-The Last Castle (awesome movie)

You know I always figured The Matrix and Terminators franchises could quite possibly take place in the same universe. In a sense like The Terminator series is like the prequel to The Matrix series.

That makes a remarkable amount of sense.

Seriously, EVERYONE on this site has done the EXACT same thing, on NUMEROUS occasions. So have a Coke and a smile.

Are you serious? Don't do it in the first place. It's stupid no matter who does it.

This would work better if as part of the Matrix universe as the Wachowskis had originally planned it, with humanity acting as a giant living neural network for their mainframe, rather than their power source because Cyberdyne already knows how to make 120-year fuel cells.

I would've been fine if they had just left the series off with the second movie. I think the second movie said all that the franchise really needed to say, about "no fate but what we make for ourselves." Really, I don't think there was meant to be a film set in the future, because the whole point was trying to prevent it. Like if you disregard the third and fourth movies and just watch the second, you can imagine that Judgment Day has been prevented (because of the "no fate" thing). But the third movie kind of ruined that. And wound up basically being an imitation of the second movie, or as was said earlier in this thread, a "reverse-T2." If they really wanted to, they could have saved time and had the third and fourth movies as one movie - tell us that Judgment Day can't be prevented, but then go right into the future; don't waste a whole movie in the present with a complete rehash of T2. As for the "original" ending to this movie, it would have ruined everything completely - we've been told for three movies now that John Connor is supposed to grow up and become the leader of the Resistance, and now you're going to kill him and put his skin on a machine's body when he's only been commander for one day? Nah. That's why they didn't do it.

Yeah, I doubt I'd be able to find anyone who thinks T3 was made because they had something that needed to be said or for any reason other than to make more money.

But having said that, I enjoy T3 as a movie quite a bit, in fact I think the climax was absolutely exhilarating and utterly badass. All the action was very well done and the Tx was a pretty effective villain. It's an elseworlds mission-pack. It's fun.

Ranking them for me would be:

The Terminator: About a 9 - 9.5/10.
T2 - Perfect 10 and one of my all-time favourite movies.
T3 - About an 8.
T:Salvation - About a 6-6.5.

I've also thought a series like Terminator or The Matrix could be a good way to put forth a social commentary on a "sacrificing freedom for the sake of security" type of debate. Have the machines imprisoning humans in an effort to protect them. Then have a rebellion of sorts unfold as humanity rises up to reclaim their freedom.

Kindof like a Terminator-meets-The Last Castle (awesome movie)

They kind of are connected.

Terminators are machines disguised as humans in a dystopian-Earth reality of the seemingly-real, seemingly-present, seemingly-human Matrix dreamworld. In this dreamworld, Transformers are machines disguised as machines who have arrived on Earth to obtain their life source, the "All Spark" Creation Matrix. The Autobots wish to protect the human race while the Decepticons wish to destroy it. However, both sides are unaware that they are actually in a simulated dreamworld, which is the real Creation Matrix even though it is not part of reality. And while these sentient robotic beings transform into mundane forms of technology on their Earth, the Creation Matrix is actually responsible for bringing mechanical and electronic objects to life in this dreamworld, and the humanoid Terminators in reality were created by human technology. So while the Decepticons try to destroy what they believe is a weak and powerless species, they unknowingly get their wish as machines begin to take over the real Earth and harvest humans. The One is a computer program that lives and breathes in the real world. Its function is to maintain control in the Matrix. It can either allow the human race to perish while the Matrix reboots, The One dies, and a small group of surviving humans are set free to found a new civilization, or it can attempt to save humanity by returning to the Matrix, which would only lead to a massive system crash that kills everybody. There have been many versions of the Matrix and, as a result, Ones. There are also artificial intelligence programs to keep order within the system. One of these programs became freed from the system after coming into contact with The One. It became a negative One, and was able to absorb the common life force that connects all agents in the system. But this is only one universe inside a multiverse of realities. One time when the negative One tried to pass through a wormhole into another reality to gain power, it inadvertently traveled back in time to the time of the dinosaurs. As a T-Rex approached, he punched it with his superhuman strength and changed the course of history, preventing the leader of the human resistance from being born. And outside of all this, we are the Watchers. We cannot interfere. We can do nothing but watch.

Just got back from watching this. I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. Nowhere near as good as the awesomesauce that was T2, much better than T3 though.

The use of Guns n Roses was storming, a great little nod to T2.

Best moment? Connor seeing the Governator walk through the door. The effects used to do the T-800 with Arnie's face were very well done I thought. The whole shot of him walking through the door, the camera slowly panning upwards with that classic music playing gave me goosebumps.

They kind of are connected.

Terminators are machines disguised as humans in a dystopian-Earth reality of the seemingly-real, seemingly-present, seemingly-human Matrix dreamworld. In this dreamworld, Transformers are machines disguised as machines who have arrived on Earth to obtain their life source, the "All Spark" Creation Matrix. The Autobots wish to protect the human race while the Decepticons wish to destroy it. However, both sides are unaware that they are actually in a simulated dreamworld, which is the real Creation Matrix even though it is not part of reality. And while these sentient robotic beings transform into mundane forms of technology on their Earth, the Creation Matrix is actually responsible for bringing mechanical and electronic objects to life in this dreamworld, and the humanoid Terminators in reality were created by human technology. So while the Decepticons try to destroy what they believe is a weak and powerless species, they unknowingly get their wish as machines begin to take over the real Earth and harvest humans. The One is a computer program that lives and breathes in the real world. Its function is to maintain control in the Matrix. It can either allow the human race to perish while the Matrix reboots, The One dies, and a small group of surviving humans are set free to found a new civilization, or it can attempt to save humanity by returning to the Matrix, which would only lead to a massive system crash that kills everybody. There have been many versions of the Matrix and, as a result, Ones. There are also artificial intelligence programs to keep order within the system. One of these programs became freed from the system after coming into contact with The One. It became a negative One, and was able to absorb the common life force that connects all agents in the system. But this is only one universe inside a multiverse of realities. One time when the negative One tried to pass through a wormhole into another reality to gain power, it inadvertently traveled back in time to the time of the dinosaurs. As a T-Rex approached, he punched it with his superhuman strength and changed the course of history, preventing the leader of the human resistance from being born. And outside of all this, we are the Watchers. We cannot interfere. We can do nothing but watch.

Wow.

That was a pretty awesome explanation. So How does Earth X fit into all this?

Meh... Sarah Connor Chronicles totally beats the movies if anyone is interested in a good storyline... ((well too bad they ruined everything they've built by the end of season 2, but if the show is going to be cancelled, at least they gave us an ending))

Finally saw this last night and loved it. I don't get the complaints (I think it was Harry Knowles that was complaining about it mostly) that John Connor wasn't saracastic like he was in the other films...well, duh! He's in a horrifying future fighting machines who want nothing more than to kill him and everyone he knows and loves. His days are filled with gruesome, horrible death. That would probably knock some of the sarcasm out of me, too. Young John Connor was completely dismissive of his role in the future - it was a different person.

Loved the action, loved the story, and thought Bale was great even though maybe too much focus was taken off him. I went into it knowing Marcus was some kind of Terminator but not that he was...whatever he was.

Finally saw this last night and loved it. I don't get the complaints (I think it was Harry Knowles that was complaining about it mostly) that John Connor wasn't saracastic like he was in the other films...well, duh! He's in a horrifying future fighting machines who want nothing more than to kill him and everyone he knows and loves. His days are filled with gruesome, horrible death. That would probably knock some of the sarcasm out of me, too. Young John Connor was completely dismissive of his role in the future - it was a different person.

I know, I still can't believe someone thought that was a legitimate complaint. One of the stupidest thoughts in a film criticism I can recall

T3, I believe the show has it's own canon

oh, okay

i just watched Terminator and T3 for the first time this weekend, and T2 for the first time in 10-ish years.

I wasn't sure if the show was the official continuity or an alternate continuity.

Now I can watch Terminator Salvation and feel like I know what's going on.

Joss Whedon's letter was hilarious.

Latest posts

Back