The Academy's Biggest Blunders

Planet-man

Toronto, Ontario(by way of the Kepler Verge)
The Oscars are always a controversial ordeal, but most people have one or two examples in particular that are just so frustrating they make you question the point of the entire event.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the Oscars. I watch the whole show through, from the red carpet to the closing notes, every single year. But there are just some things that make me absolutely hate the Academy when I really wrap my head around them.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of you have your own issues too, so post away.

The example that currently springs to my mind as the biggest Oscar screw-up of all time?

Spirited Away wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

Last edited:
Spirited Away shouldn't even have been nominated for best animated movie. It wasn't released the year it won, it was already a couple years old.

I'd say the biggest upset to my mind was Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan.

Normally I would like the kind of movie Shakespeare is, but I can never finish watching it in one sitting.

Shakespeare in Love is definitely a better movie than Saving Private Ryan...

And Brokeback Mountain should have beat Crash (which wasnt bad, but was by no means the best picture of the year. BBM or Good Night and Good Luck were ten times better.)

Shakespeare in Love sucks. And I like Shakespeare, period movies and romantic comedy/dramas, so that's saying something.

And Brokeback was good, but Crash did a far superior job of making me feel for the characters. Maybe you could say it was more manipulative, and you might be right, but I just think it did it's job better.

Brokeback was more visual, but I was left cold underneath.

I think howls moving castle should have won best animated picture over wallace and gromit.

Spirited Away shouldn't even have been nominated for best animated movie. It wasn't released the year it won, it was already a couple years old.

It was released in North America the year it won.

And even if you go with your theory, that just means it should've been nominated for Best Picture the year it was "actually" released.

*radios ultimatedjf for backup*

I think howls moving castle should have won best animated picture over wallace and gromit.

I haven't seen Howl's but considering it's Miazaki, and that I was pretty underwhelmed by the Wallace and Gromit movie(and I'm a HUGE fan of the 3 W&G short films), I bet I'd agree with you.

Oh, I don't disagree with Spirrited Away being a great film. It's just that since the awards aren't just for North American releases, it's an odd glitch that it won best animated that year.

Then again, they nominated a song from Chicago that got cut from the film, so who knows what they're thinking sometimes.

The thing with The Oscars is they seem to favor almost anything over fantasy/animated movies, which pisses me and a lot of people off.

Then again, they nominated a song from Chicago that got cut from the film, so who knows what they're thinking sometimes.

They can only nominate songs created for the movie, so none of the songs used in the original Musical could be nominated.

So they wrote a new one that they played during the credits.

Ever since they started the Best Animated Picture category (in 2001), animated films have been illegible for the main category. The only previous film in Best Picture was Beauty and the Beast.

So far the films to win Best Animated film

Shrek
Spirited Away
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Wallace and Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Woah, I own all those on DVD.

Ever since they started the Best Animated Picture category (in 2001), animated films have been illegible for the main category. The only previous film in Best Picture was Beauty and the Beast.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Animated Films are a perfectly valid form of cinema, sometimes even more so than live action ones.

There's a big problem when they just give Spirited Away and The Incredibles a Best Animated Film award despite than they were far better than most of the BP Nominees.

Million Dollar Baby? Sideways? Give me a f***ing break.

Last edited:
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Animated Films are a perfectly valid form of cinema, sometimes even more so than live action ones.

There's a big problem when they just give Spirited Away and The Incredibles a Best Animated Film award despite than they were far better than most of the BP Nominees.

Million Dollar Baby? Sideways? Give me a f***ing break.
THANK YOU!

Well, i think all three of the lord of the rings films should have won best picture, but maybe thats just me.

Well, i think all three of the lord of the rings films should have won best picture, but maybe thats just me.

It's not just you. There is no doubt in my mind at all that the trilogy are the three best movies ever made(although I actually consider them to be one long movie).

And if ROTK hadn't swept the Oscars, I would have never, EVER shut up about it. And I'm still irked that Sean Astin didn't win or even get nominated for Best Actor.

Still, that was easily the greatest Oscar Night of all time. Not only was it incredibly satisfying to see Lord of the Rings stomp everything else, but Billy Crystal was absolutely hysterical as host, and his opening clip show was priceless.

I sorely regret not taping the whole thing.

how about if you make a biopic then you get nominated... Capote, Walk the Line, Ray, Coal Miner's Daughter, Ghandi, Erin Brockovich, A Beautiful Mind

Boxing Biopics are the best to make: Raging Bull,Ali, The Hurricane, Cinderella Man...

thats just off the top of my head.

and Halle Berry pisses me off. Not only did she not deserve an Oscar she sucks in all the X-Men.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back