The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Anyone remember this show? It only aired for one season on Fox back in 1993-1994 (yep, they even were canceling good shows back then). It started Bruce Campbell in the title role.

Was about a lawyer turned bounty hunter (Bruce Campbell) who pursued the members of a gang that killed his father, a legendary US Marshall (played by R. Lee Ermey). Killed by John Bly (Billy Drago, a guy perfectly typecast as the villain throughout his career) and his gang, Brisco County Sr leaves his gun to Brisco Jr, who takes it upon himself to hunt down Bly and his gang. He often competes with and teams up with Lord Bowler, a fellow bounty hunter, on the various missions he undertakes, often overseen by his handler Socrates Poole, who works for the Westerfield Club, a robber baron club whose members hired Brisco to prevent Bly from interfering with their business interests. All the while, Bly is chasing after the Orb, a strange golden ball with long rods that extend from it, and when removed glow blue, heal wounds, and give those who come in contact with it incredible strength. The Orb (it turns out there are three of them) serve as the main MacGuffin of the series. Lots of revelations are made as the show progresses about the nature of the Orbs, and just who Bly is and where he comes from (or when). Also, Dixie Cousins (Kelly Rutherford) was one of my first crushes as a kid. Very fine.

It was a Western, but had strong sci-fi and steampunk elements as well, in addition to humor, action, romance, etc, with a dose of revisionist history and anachronistic usage of coming inventions. It's also a really good family show. No excessive violence, full of the sort of old school "truth, justice, and the American-way" attitude with a healthy dose of tongue-in-cheek humor.

It got extremely positive reviews when it originally aired, and rightfully so. Campbell does a great job as the lead, and the supporting cast all play off him well, especially once they got a few episodes in and had nailed down the characters and interplay.

I remember watching it when it was first airing as an 11-12 year old kid, and loved it back then. Last year I downloaded the entire series (only 1 season of 27 episodes), and watched through it all again. Really good stuff.

If you've never seen it, give it a try.

I quit reading after Bruce Campbell.

I...what? I'm so confused by this.

I loved this show with a passion. My entire family would get together every week to watch it. It even had John Austin! It was amazing. Last time I looked into the DVDs it was something ridiculous like $80. I'll have to check again when I get some freed up money.

I...what? I'm so confused by this.

I was sold after reading that Bruce Campbell was the lead and didn't need to read further because I was already set on watching it. That reminds me, I really need to start Burn Notice.

I...what? I'm so confused by this. I loved this show with a passion. My entire family would get together every week to watch it. It even had John Austin! It was amazing. Last time I looked into the DVDs it was something ridiculous like $80. I'll have to check again when I get some freed up money.

Check EBay, mate, the entire season DVD sets are going for between less than $10 to $20. More from people who overprice their stuff, sure, but there are plenty of pretty cheap options out there. Of course there's always those one or two insane people who list theirs at $90, which makes absolutely no sense. Even Amazon has theirs going for $22.69 right now, brand new.

Last edited:
I was sold after reading that Bruce Campbell was the lead and didn't need to read further because I was already set on watching it. That reminds me, I really need to start Burn Notice.

Oh thank God, I thought you just went"Bruce Campbell? Not interested." And that didn't make sense to me.

Oh thank God, I thought you just went"Bruce Campbell? Not interested." And that didn't make sense to me.

I love Sam Raimi. How can I do that and not love Bruce Campbell as well?

It's a fair concern, given wyo's questionable preferences.

#wyoburn

If you don't like My Name Is Bruce we can no longer be friends.

Latest posts

Back