Avengers The Age Of The Sentry discussion [spoilers]

E

Excelsior Club
I haven't seen anyone mention the new Sentry series. I just read the first issue and it's very charming - it's done in the style of and is very much an homage to silver age books, complete with ridiculous plots and terrible dialogue.

It seems like it could fit in well with the original Sentry series.

I am not reading it.

I don't mind the cheesy homages as flashbacks, but I do not want to read an entire series about it.

I am not reading it.

I don't mind the cheesy homages as flashbacks, but I do not want to read an entire series about it.

It is kind of a chore to read. It would be cool to see the book do a complete 180 and turn into something super dark, but I can't see it happening.

I'm reading it and it's fun, but I'm not loving it.

So I read the first 4 issues last night - I ****ing love it.

It is so wonderfully fun, like All-Star Superman.

I'm just loving all the silliness - Cranio the Tri-Level Mind, Millie the Model, the Mountain Man, and so on. What's also great is that we get two, complete stories per issue, instead of one decompressed scene. There is more story here than in a lot of 6-issue arcs. So yay!

Also, what I'm really intrigued with is the... thing in the background. In the second issue, Sentry starts hallucinating something really worrying and ominous... but then snaps out of it. And it crops up again and again... there's something lurking behind the nostalgia, which is terrific!

It's like the issue of MIRACLEMAN where we see Gargunza creating the dream world for Miracleman and the others. There's just this sense of something not being quite right which is brilliantly playing into the whole vibe of the Sentry - the waking nightmare.

I'm surprised at how simple and elegant this is.

Last edited:
So I read the first 4 issues last night - I ****ing love it.

It is so wonderfully fun, like All-Star Superman.

It definitely has that feel, but execution-wise it just wasn't the same. I can't even really describe it. I did like it, though.

Latest posts

Back