The All About Martial Arts Movies Thread

I'd like to point out that criticizing a movie martial artist based on the quality of his movies, and his co-star's is really rediculous. Kung-Fu movies have never been known for their quality as an actual film, it's about the fight scenes. Jet Li is a damn fine martial artist, easily on the level of Jackie Chan, and Bruce Lee. A level I'm more than willing to say that Tony Jaa is going to join if he keeps making films like Ong-Bak and The Protector, and not trying to be a rapper in thailand.

Especially when we've spent 3 pages praising Jackie Chan, when look at the ****ty movies he's produced with co-stars Owen Wilson, Steve Coogan, Lee Evans, Jennifer Love Hewitt, etc.

Last edited:
I'd like to point out that criticizing a movie martial artist based on the quality of his movies, and his co-star's is really rediculous. Kung-Fu movies have never been known for their quality as an actual film, it's about the fight scenes. Jet Li is a damn fine martial artist, easily on the level of Jackie Chan, and Bruce Lee. A level I'm more than willing to say that Tony Jaa is going to join if he keeps making films like Ong-Bak and The Protector, and not trying to be a rapper in thailand.

Especially when we've spent 3 pages praising Jackie Chan, when look at the ****ty movies he's produced with co-stars Owen Wilson, Steve Coogan, Lee Evans, Jennifer Love Hewitt, etc.

I will say this once..Tony Jaa is not a martial artist!.. thats just what he portrays best. He only learns what he needs to for the screen. Like memorizing lines, Jaa just memorizes movements, he doesnt actually study. He trained in Muay Thai for what? 1 yr and a half? thats hardly dedication.

As to Jackie CHan. Those Americanized films you mentioned only make of about 5%, if even, of what hes done in his career.

Last edited:
I will say this once..Tony Jaa is not a martial artist!.. thats just what he portrays best. He only learns what he needs to for the screen. Like memorizing lines, Jaa just memorizes movements, he doesnt actually study. He trained in Muay Thai for what? 1 yr and a half? thats hardly dedication.

Are you kidding me? He trained for a year to make a film, but he's still constantly training. He can stop training now and he'll still always be a martial artist.

Are you kidding me? He trained for a year to make a film, but he's still constantly training. He can stop training now and he'll still always be a martial artist.

He's Awesome. I agree with that. I love watching him. But he's not at the level of Bruce, Jackie , and the Jet.

"WHERE'S MY ELEPHANT" lol, classic

Last edited:
also just to point out, Jackie just kinda became the topic of interest. you're more than welcome to change interests to other people. we know the movies are crap for the most part. It's not like Rumble in The Bronx had a solid story, but I won't deny the fight scenes and the stunts are incredible.

I would never discredit Bruce Lee, but you can't deny Jackie chan's dedication and talents. jackie's feats are almost on par, if not already admirable, with anythign bruce lee can/could do.

I mean those mythbuster pricks discredited the one-inch punch because THEY couldn't replicate it; Even though there's undeniable footage of Lee completing the feat in front of hundreds on MORE than one occasion.

All's fair in the game of death.

I would never discredit Bruce Lee, but you can't deny Jackie chan's dedication and talents. jackie's feats are almost on par, if not already admirable, with anythign bruce lee can/could do.

I mean those mythbuster pricks discredited the one-inch punch because THEY couldn't replicate it; Even though there's undeniable footage of Lee completing the feat in front of hundreds on MORE than one occasion.

Okay, Jackie's good martial arts-wise, but even in his prime he was nowhere near Bruce's status. It's completely ridiculous to think that. Bruce was nearly superhuman.

Also, "Bruce Lee was a straight martial artist who starred in a handful of movies. Jackie Chan is an actor who was trained in martial arts." - Bruce Lee was actually an actor before he became a martial artist; his first screen test was in Hong Kong when he was 6 years old, and his dad was a film actor as well.

[youtube]lZSjuR99sHw[/youtube]

[youtube]yT444DoHQDg[/youtube]

[youtube]roY9SaqM0mo[/youtube]

Last edited:
Okay, Jackie's good martial arts-wise, but even in his prime he was nowhere near Bruce's status. It's completely ridiculous to think that. Bruce was nearly superhuman.

i wouldn't go that far. I never discredit hard work and dedication. I would say pound for pound, bruce is the definite winner in a fight. Workout regimen and training is another story. Every workout has it's own merits. and the things Jackie Chan does in his prime and to this day are more than above what a normal workout would do to the body.

Bruce wasn't a stunt man per se. he was about the fight. jackie chan was an entertainer first, a fighter, second and a stunt man, third. and to be able to fall 50 ft from a ledge, even if it's a safe landing, takes a toll on the body. And the guy is what, like 60 now? and he still moves like a monkey.

You started the argument stating jackie chan was a complete farce and I'm here to tell you that is just plain untrue.

And i know, Bruce was a Legend. No ****, you're preaching to the choir here. The guy could obviously do things that left a normal man in a stupor. But so did jackie and although it wasn't as ball busting as the one-inch punch or breaking the ribs of a stunt man that challenged him to a fight on set, the guy was jumping off buildings and breaking his own ribs, working with some of the worlds greatest stunt choreographers.

and even though he wasn't the most renowned martial artist ever, he could at least take the hits you would never want to. he would make the jumps you would never attempt. the guy did 95% of all his stunts, which had to do with wall-jumping, car dodging, fire exploding, building climbing...the most insane **** you could ever think of.

i dare you to watch this and not be entertained
[youtube]u1cHynIXweE[/youtube]

As to Jackie CHan. Those Americanized films you mentioned only make of about 5%, if even, of what hes done in his career.

As is Cradle 2 the Grave to Jet Li's carreer

Okay new debate

Stephen Chow, of Kung-Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer

what do you think of him, does he tend to go for Looney Tunizations of Kung-Fu too much, or is he a legitimate butt-whupper

Last edited:
With movies like Cradle to the Grave, I can't imagine why.

Although Kiss of The Dragon had one of my favorites scenes ever. where he fights that class of police martial art students. that scene with the batons was jaw dropping.

EDIT: My favorite part starts at 1:15

[youtube]YAOGnQa24Og[/youtube]
That is a pretty good scene, still doesn't grab me though. I think my problem is that Li never really acts that well. He always has the same stoic "I'm awesome and don't need to flaunt it" look and it's very boring. Unlike say Jackie Chan who has a personality in his roles that allows viewer to identify easier. Also Chan is sure to act during his fight scenes, when he's in pain you see, when he's tired you see it, when he gets a second wind he shows it. It all really adds to the scene giving the audience more empathy for the character. Li has almost no personality in any movie I've seen him in, great as a side character but poor as your leading man.

I only saw part of On Bak and I was relatively impressed, I can see him becoming something really special. I love this fight sequence done all in one shot
[youtube]qE7WijeShQM[/youtube]
Word, plus Chan is older and slower, I hope he'd step back to finding a new young talent and choreographing the scene. Because nothing beats what Chan can come up with, I'm still incredibly amazed by the ladder sequence in First Strike.
i wouldn't go that far. I never discredit hard work and dedication. I would say pound for pound, bruce is the definite winner in a fight. Workout regimen and training is another story. Every workout has it's own merits. and the things Jackie Chan does in his prime and to this day are more than above what a normal workout would do to the body.

Bruce wasn't a stunt man per se. he was about the fight. jackie chan was an entertainer first, a fighter, second and a stunt man, third. and to be able to fall 50 ft from a ledge, even if it's a safe landing, takes a toll on the body. And the guy is what, like 60 now? and he still moves like a monkey.

You started the argument stating jackie chan was a complete farce and I'm here to tell you that is just plain untrue.

And i know, Bruce was a Legend. No ****, you're preaching to the choir here. The guy could obviously do things that left a normal man in a stupor. But so did jackie and although it wasn't as ball busting as the one-inch punch or breaking the ribs of a stunt man that challenged him to a fight on set, the guy was jumping off buildings and breaking his own ribs, working with some of the worlds greatest stunt choreographers.

and even though he wasn't the most renowned martial artist ever, he could at least take the hits you would never want to. he would make the jumps you would never attempt. the guy did 95% of all his stunts, which had to do with wall-jumping, car dodging, fire exploding, building climbing...the most insane **** you could ever think of.

i dare you to watch this and not be entertained
[youtube]u1cHynIXweE[/youtube]

You know I've stayed away from this debate because it's basically stupid and pointless. J is right in all he said. And in my opinion, this thread is entitled "The All About Martial Arts Movies Thread" so it doesn't really matter what level of dedication happened behind the scenes, what's important is the end result. And the reason Chan got some much love here is because the guy has created some of the most original, kinetic, and amazing fighting and action sequences in film. He deserves the praise. And to get into an argument of who is better, tougher, more of a "martial artist" is just lame and pointless. And that's all I have to say about that

Anyone else seen Kung Fu Hustle? I love those fight scenes. Both funny, action pack, and incredible inventive. The cgi was also great and worked perfectly.

EDIT:

Okay new debate

what do you think of him, does he tend to go for Looney Tunizations of Kung-Fu too much, or is he a legitimate butt-whupper

Damn it beat me to it. I only saw parts of Shaolin Soccer but it was incredibly entaining. I love the part where the goalie makes a phone call

"Hey, it's me. I just wanted to tell you I;ve always loved you... Oh? Sorry, could you tell your wife what I just said?"

Last edited:
Although Kiss of The Dragon had one of my favorites scenes ever. where he fights that class of police martial art students. that scene with the batons was jaw dropping.

That official description of that scene is known in the scientific community as "THE HOT ****".

I love that scene. And the baton portion was incredible.

These kinda arguments are stupid. Each kind martial artist brought up has a different style of movie.

Bruce Lee was a martial artist, but not really an actor. But, as it was stated before, he did bring martial arts cinema to mainstream America.

Jackie Chan, has always been a performer. He studied at Peiking Opera when he was young and has been performing since. He's openly stated that he likes to have a more comedic take on martial arts. Instead of just punching repeatedly and then just popping back into a ready reaction stance, he'd prefer to show that when you punch someone, you may hurt your hand in the process. Also, it wasn't until recently that Chan started using wire work. He's always done his own acrobatic feats. So while his style is more comedic, it's also more realistic physically.

Jet Li, is both a martial artist and an actor. He studied martial arts until he was like 17-18 and then made the transition to film. Almost all his movies early on in his career have been based on wuxia cinema (which favors heavily on fantasy and swordplay). He's been doing wire work martial arts since he started movies. So his style, while more fierce and serious and direct, is a more unrealistic. A completely different style than Chan's more contemporary style.

Tony Jaa is a stuntman with a martial arts background in Muay Thai. Their style is completely different from traditional kung-fu. It's more knee and elbow strike based. He makes movies that are all based around fantastic stunts. Plain and simple, he's not on the level of Chan or Li yet.

Edit----I was busy with work so it took me a while to type this up. And since I started typing it looks like a bunch of stuff that I just said has already been said.

Last edited:
I believe Doom has ended the debate on a basis everyone can agree on.

Okay new debate

As for Stephen Chow...

I have only seen him in Kung Fu Hustle which was kick-ass to say the least but did consist of mostly quote "Looney Tunizations". I would like to see him in a more ground based, not so Looney film because he does look like he has potential to be a "legitimate butt-whupper".

Being that I have only seen one of his films, I can't be sure. :(

Any films you would recommend?

Last edited:
Stephen Chow's Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle are awesome.

I'm not doubting his kick ass ability.....but I wouldn't put him in the same class as the others.

Stephen Chow's Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle are awesome.

I'm not doubting his kick ass ability.....but I wouldn't put him in the same class as the others.

I watched an Iron Chef one with him in it, and it was just as weird. Doing martial arts, while keeping under the hour time limit with the special ingredient?

Kick ass.

Latest posts

Back