The All-Consuming Area of David Bowie's Thread

ourchair

If Moonie can have a thread about The Beatles, then I can have a thread about that great fellow known as David Bowie. David Bowie is sex incarnate, and I have proof:

[youtube]rsHZkGzHhEo[/youtube]

I'm currently listening to Pin Ups, the last album he did with the Spiders of Mars, which consists entirely of covers of then-contemporary bands such as The Who :rockon:, and The Kinks (the man has taste)...

Also, I'm trying to complete his entire catalogue of work. I have his last four albums, the 2000 release of the 1970 recordings known as Bowie at the Beeb, The Buddha of Suburbia. But in MP3, I pretty much picked up the entire studio album discography, as well as some bootlegs of live gigs. The 50th Birthday at Madison Square Garden and Little Wonder in Paradiso are fantastic.

Anyway, so now I'm going to concentrate on singles, tracks contributed elsewhere, B-sides and his pre-fame work as David Jones. Any recommendations?

:rockon:

Who doesn't love Teh Bowie? Even though I've never even posted a picture, I would seriously consider uploading the clip from my self-written AP English play where I play Bowie for like 30 seconds to YouTube if I knew how to get it off the DVD.

I've got six Bowie albums in my music binge list and should be getting to them shortly.

And I'm disappointed that this thread isn't entirely about The Grand and Glorious Area.

Last edited:
:rockon:

Who doesn't love Teh Bowie? Even though I've never even posted a picture, I would seriously consider uploading the clip from my self-written AP English play where I play Bowie for like 30 seconds to YouTube if I knew how to get it off the DVD.
You should.

I can do a pretty decent Bowie vocal impersonation, down to his early 70s laugh.

moonmaster said:
I've got six Bowie albums in my music binge list and should be getting to them shortly.
Which albums are those?

I'm now listening to The Forgotten Songs of David Robert Jones, a European bootleg of most his pre-Bowie recordings.

moonmaster said:
And I'm disappointed that this thread isn't entirely about The Grand and Glorious Area.
I briefly considered it, but then the Area might end up consuming the whole site, and we'd be visiting The Area Central instead of Ultimate Central.

You should.

I can do a pretty decent Bowie vocal impersonation, down to his early 70s laugh.
The exact lines I speak are:

SEAN

[Off-stage.] Have no fear, young padawan.

JESSICA

Who- who is that?

SEAN

It's me, David Bowie, back from the grave and the reaches of outer space to guide you on your journey. Use the force, Starbuck, use the freaky, sexy force!

It was a play about us attempting to make a play and I wrote the whole thing. This part is from our attempt at doing a sci-fi play that just rips off every sci-fi movie and tv show ever made. Bowie was supposed to be the Obi-Wan Kenobi type spirit guide. We couldn't adequately come up with a costume so I just spiked up my hair a bit and put on a fur coat but we figured it would be hilarious enough to have me playing Bowie anyway.

I was disturbed by everyone's lack of Bowie knowledge, but everyone loved that part and "use the freaky sexy force!" became a popular phrase in the class for the rest of the year.

I should really post the whole script. It was kind of funny.
Which albums are those?
Space Oddity
Hunky Dory
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
Let's Dance
Outside
Heathen
I briefly considered it, but then the Area might end up consuming the whole site, and we'd be visiting The Area Central instead of Ultimate Central.
AREACENTRAL.jpg

I'm currently listening to iSelect, a compilation of Bowie's personal picks of tracks pre-dating Black Tie White Noise. Really good stuff, and as an album it flows real well.

08-iselect.jpg

Last edited:
A necessity for any Bowie thread:

[youtube]9nyDfHP0fME[/youtube]

David Bowie in Extras:

[YOUTUBE]jv6mEv_rDdE[/YOUTUBE]

Also, David Bowie is the best Nikola Tesla ever.

I love the part in "Space Oddity" where he does the countdown in the background.

"...lift off..."

I love the part in "Space Oddity" where he does the countdown in the background.

"...lift off..."
Me too. I particularly like the way he performed the whole song for his 50th Birthday at Madison Square Garden. It's a great song, and it really is deserving of its classic status.

[youtube]J9fkYQ6pPeU[/youtube]

I've actually considered putting this together with a fan video of Fantastic Four, focusing particularly on Ben Grimm. Maybe Ultimate Fantastic Four, and using 'floating in a most peculiar way' with the bit where Ben giggles while he floats in the N-Zone.

Latest posts

Back