The All-Time Oscar game

Planet-man

Toronto, Ontario(by way of the Kepler Verge)
This is an idea DSF and I have been working on for a little while.

Imagine that the Academy was hosting a special award ceremony with all their traditional categories, but instead of just honouring the films of the last year, every movie ever made was up for consideration.

Who and what films would you nominate?

The Rules:
  • Since we've got so many more choices here, the maximum number of nominees per category will be 6, instead of the traditional 5(again, this is the maximum. You can submit 2 or 3 nominees if that's all you want to).
  • You can specify who'd you'd personally want to be the winner from your nominees, but you don't have to.
  • Each category will be up for a week or two(we'll set the real time limit after seeing how this round goes).
  • At the end of each round, DSF or I will count up the nominees to see whoever happened to be nominated by the most members. That person/movie will be listed as the "winner" of the Oscar at the end of each round(this part's just for fun so we have some kind of end result to look at).

The first category will be: Best Supporting Actor! Go!

Last edited:
My nominations for Best Supporting Actor:

- Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya - The Princess Bride(1987)
- Marlon Brando as Don Vito Corlenone - The Godfather(1972)
- Crispin Glover as George McFly - Back To The Future(1985)
- Willem Dafoe as Count Orlok - Shadow Of The Vampire(2000)
- Robert Shaw as Quint - Jaws(1975)
- Joe Pesci as Tommy DeVito - GoodFellas(1990)

If I were to select a winner from these, it'd be Mandy Patinkin.

Honourable mentions:
Haley Joel Osment as Cole Sear - The Sixth Sense(1999)
John Goodman as Walter Sobchak - The Big Lebowski(1998)
Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf - The Lord of the Rings(2001-2003)

Last edited:
Do they have to have been nominated in the category when their movie came out? If so, it would help to have a link to the list of all Best Supp. Actor nominees. :)

Last edited:
I hate the IMDb Top 250. The ratings are so ridiculously skewed it's not even funny, and The Godfather has no business being number one (in my humble opinion, anyway). Regardless (not irregardless, for that is not a word), here are my picks for best supporting actor (and bear in mind, I haven't seen quite a few of the "great" films, and these are really just coming off of the top of my head):

Christian Bale in The Prestige
Darren McGavin in A Christmas Story
Keifer Sutherland in Dark City
Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator
Gary Oldman in The Fifth Element
Adrian Brody in The Village

If I had to pick a winner, it would probably be Darren McGavin. "Not a finger!":D

Too many to choose from for me.

Wish you can done it as diffrent movie types e.g "comc book Oscars" "Action Oscars" "Comedy Oscars" ect....

but I am curious who will win so cool idea dude

This is tough, but I think I've come up with 6 nominees I'm pretty happy with, except for how new they mostly are. It's hard for me to picture specific roles in movies I haven't seen in forever. I think it's way too broad a group to pick from, though. Perhaps future rounds could be limited to decades or something rather than "All Time?" (and yes I know that's the point)

Chris Cooper - Adaptation
Crispin Glover - Back to the Future
John Goodman - The Big Lebowski
William H. Macy - Fargo
Viggo Mortenson - The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Bill Murray - Rushmore

So, this round's gonna be over in a few days....

Have your say, people! If more people don't start voting, Crispin Glover will be named UC's majority choice for Best Supporting Performance in Cinematic History, with a grand total of two votes!

So, this round's gonna be over in a few days....

Have your say, people! If more people don't start voting, Crispin Glover will be named UC's majority choice for Best Supporting Performance in Cinematic History, with a grand total of two votes!
He should win for his performance in Clowny Clown Clown.

I think in top ten lists, but I'm having trouble ordering these at the moment... So I'll think about these ten, and hopefully decide on which one I think deserves the golden statue the most.

[[EDIT: I decided on an order!]]

1. Ralph Fiennes - Amon Göth - Schindler's List
2. Al Pacino - Michael Corleone - The Godfather
3. John Goodman - Walter Sobchak - The Big Lebowski
4. Chris Cooper - John LaRoche - Adaptation
5. Joe Pesci - Tommy Devito - Goodfellas
6. Tommy Lee Jones - Clay Shaw - JFK
7. (Alec Guiness - Obi Wan Kenobi - Star Wars)
8. (Kevin Spacey - Verbal Kint - The Usual Suspects)
9. (Claude Raines - Captain Renault - Casablanca)
10.(Kevin Kline - Otto West - A Fish Called Wanda)

All of these, excluding Goodman (who should have been), have been at very least Nominated for an Academy Award in this Category for the Role indicated...

(looking through the past winners, I had NO idea that they nominated Pat Morita for Mr. Miyagi in The Karate Kid)

EDIT - Damnation... I forgot the limit! Since we can only have six, the choices i've put in paranthesis won't be tallied up...

Last edited:
We need at least one more entry, or its a tie between Glover, Cooper, Pesci and Goodman

Last edited:
I don't understand how Michael Corleone can be considered a supporting role.

I know he was nominated that way, but still.

It's like when denzel Wahsington won Best Actor for Training Day while Ethan Hawke was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. It was completely reversed from what it should have been.

I agree about Michael Corleone, but as I said, I was working on the previously -nominated, and if the Academy designated him as supporting, fine, I'll roll with that. He definitely deserves the nod, whatever field they decided to stick him in.

So I'll think about these ten, and hopefully decide on which one I think deserves the golden statue the most.

Plantinum statue.:wink:

All of these, excluding Goodman (who should have been), have been at very least Nominated for an Academy Award in this Category for the Role indicated...

Goodman not being nominated for The Big Lebowski for that would be on my list of 10 Most Outrageous Academy Snubs.

Along with Robert Shaw for Jaws.

I think I need to edit my list.... his was a better performance than Haley in The Sixth Sense... grrr, decisions.

I don't understand how Michael Corleone can be considered a supporting role.

I know he was nominated that way, but still.

Completely agree. Brando's the supporting role.

I agree about Michael Corleone, but as I said, I was working on the previously -nominated, and if the Academy designated him as supporting, fine, I'll roll with that. He definitely deserves the nod, whatever field they decided to stick him in.

Spoiler alert! He'll be on my ballot for Best Actors.

Latest posts

Back