The Amazing Spider-Man (Spoilery discussion)

How would you rate The Amazing Spider-Man?

• Total voters
They did something interesting with Vulture in the old cartoon where he was an old man that wanted youth again. And would suck the youth out of people.

Last edited:
thee great one said:
The did something interesting with Vulture in the old cartoon where he was an old man that wanted youth again. And would suck the youth out of people.

That story was adapted an arc in ASM #383-386 called "Lifetheft."

They did something interesting with Vulture in the old cartoon where he was an old man that wanted youth again. And would suck the youth out of people.

In a cartoon, ok.

In a live action movie, are you kidding me?

For those of you who wern't big fans of this movie (or just want to see something funny). Here's a trailer for you.

[video=youtube;l2KSPiTOMR8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l2KSPiTOMR8[/video]

Last edited:
Hey Guys!

I just came out of hiding to tell you that I hated this movie. I hated it so much. I thought it was worse than spider-man 3. I hate the actor more than I hated Toby Mcwhateverhisnamewas. The story made no sense and I disliked all the characters. Every single one. Why did they make Peter Parker retarded? Isn't he supposed to be smart? Would you break into a top secret science lab and walk into the first room full of blue spiders you see? Did Peter really need THAT many clues to figure out who the Lizard was? Seriously let me break them down for you:

1: He knows that there is a scientist in town who is hoping to mix human and lizard DNA so he can cure people that lose their limbs.
2: Said scientist ACTUALLY MISSES A LIMB HIMSELF and admits that he would be the first in line if there was a way to get his arm back.
3: Peter gives him the secret formula he has been looking for for years. He can now finally successfully blend lizard DNA with other DNA.
4: WITHIN A DAY (1 DAY!!!) after giving the scientist the formula a huge monster lizard shows up and attacks people.

At this point any sane person would have figured out what had happened. BUT NOT PETER PARKER. Oh no. First this happens:

5: Goes to scientist and asks him what he thinks about the monster lizard. As soon he walks in he notices that the scientist is hunched over like a classic madman and that HALF HIS ****ING FACE IS COVERED IN SCALES!!!!!

Any clue yet who the Lizard is Peter? Any inkling? No? Okay. Ask your questions.

6: Peter: 'So professor, have you heard about this monster attacking? Pretty crazy, huh?'
Conners: *hunched over, speaking with an evil voice* 'Yes, Parker. It appears that there is a new species of Lizard in New York. It is very big, and very strong.'
Peter: 'So hypothetically, if you wanted to catch it, how would you do it?'
Conners: 'Well Parker, I would advice against it. When cornered it can be most... aggressive...' *glares maliciously*
Peter: 'A duuuuuh, but what if you use something cold on it? It's cold-blooded, right?'
Conners: 'Well, you would have to catch it first!!' *sprints out of the room, laughing maniacally*
Peter: 'What a nice man!'

AND STILL he doesn't figure it out!!! Why!? WHY is this kid so stupid!? Did the spider bite also affect his brain? Did he get the proportional deduction capability of an arachnid? It shames me to say that Peter doesn't figure it out until:

7: He sees the lab rat they used to test the formula has turned into a lizard.

Seriously? It should not have taken him 2 thirds of the movie to figure out. It should have been obvious to him who the lizard was from the MOMENT he shows up.

And then for some reason there is a race against the clock to stop some kind of bomb that will turn half of New York's population into lizards for a few hours. After that they will turn back to humans without any problems. I've been to New York, getting turned into lizards for a few hours would not unbalance most New Yorkers. There was no suspense. They had already shown that Doc Conners also just changed back human after a few hours unless he got a new shot of serum. They did not need to stop the bomb, just catch the lizard. In fact, they can just load the cure into the bomb and change everybody back to human after just a few minutes. Oh my lord I loathe this movie. I hate it with such a passion.

I have not seen such a blatant disregard for your audience's intelligence since Transformers 2. And just when I thought they couldn't make Peter Parker any more unlikeable or the story less ****ed up; The final line happens. F*ck you Peter. You are an *sshole and I hope your stupid girlfriend gets dropped off a bridge.

People liked this movie? Really? Even the bit with the cranes lining up? REALLY!? The CRANES!!? F*ck you. Your opinion is stupid and you should be ashamed. Consider yourselves judged, likers of Amazing Spider-man. Consider yourselves judged.

Robje out.

:?

That was a... strong reaction.

Alternatively... The Lizard shows up and Peter thinks, "Uh oh, I better go check on Dr Connors!" But when he does Dr Connors isn't a giant lizard. But he is acting really weird, which keeps up Peter's suspicions. But what is he going to do, ask him point blank if he turned himself into a giant lizard? Then when he sees the mouse-lizard his suspicions are confirmed and he goes into action.

Admittedly, the lizard story wasn't all that strong but the heart of the story was Peter and Gwen's relationship and Peter's growth into a hero from an angry selfish vigilante with powers. And that's exactly what a Spider-Man story should be. They got the heart of Spider-Man right, the rest is peripheral to that. Yes, the "big threat" at the end was derivative and silly, yes the crane scene was particularly corny, but Peter and Gwen were perfect. Perfect. And that's ultimately what matters.

That said, I expect better things out of the villain plot in number two now that the origin story is out of the way.

That was a... strong reaction.

Overly so, but I basically agree.

This was better than the McGuire movies (the first 2), but not by much. The more I read about it and read about the sequel, the less I think of it.

I guess I should watch it again.

Hey Guys!

I just came out of hiding to tell you that I hated this movie. I hated it so much. I thought it was worse than spider-man 3. I hate the actor more than I hated Toby Mcwhateverhisnamewas. The story made no sense and I disliked all the characters. Every single one. Why did they make Peter Parker retarded? Isn't he supposed to be smart? Would you break into a top secret science lab and walk into the first room full of blue spiders you see? Did Peter really need THAT many clues to figure out who the Lizard was? Seriously let me break them down for you:

1: He knows that there is a scientist in town who is hoping to mix human and lizard DNA so he can cure people that lose their limbs.
2: Said scientist ACTUALLY MISSES A LIMB HIMSELF and admits that he would be the first in line if there was a way to get his arm back.
3: Peter gives him the secret formula he has been looking for for years. He can now finally successfully blend lizard DNA with other DNA.
4: WITHIN A DAY (1 DAY!!!) after giving the scientist the formula a huge monster lizard shows up and attacks people.

At this point any sane person would have figured out what had happened. BUT NOT PETER PARKER. Oh no. First this happens:

5: Goes to scientist and asks him what he thinks about the monster lizard. As soon he walks in he notices that the scientist is hunched over like a classic madman and that HALF HIS ****ING FACE IS COVERED IN SCALES!!!!!

Any clue yet who the Lizard is Peter? Any inkling? No? Okay. Ask your questions.

6: Peter: 'So professor, have you heard about this monster attacking? Pretty crazy, huh?'
Conners: *hunched over, speaking with an evil voice* 'Yes, Parker. It appears that there is a new species of Lizard in New York. It is very big, and very strong.'
Peter: 'So hypothetically, if you wanted to catch it, how would you do it?'
Conners: 'Well Parker, I would advice against it. When cornered it can be most... aggressive...' *glares maliciously*
Peter: 'A duuuuuh, but what if you use something cold on it? It's cold-blooded, right?'
Conners: 'Well, you would have to catch it first!!' *sprints out of the room, laughing maniacally*
Peter: 'What a nice man!'

AND STILL he doesn't figure it out!!! Why!? WHY is this kid so stupid!? Did the spider bite also affect his brain? Did he get the proportional deduction capability of an arachnid? It shames me to say that Peter doesn't figure it out until:

7: He sees the lab rat they used to test the formula has turned into a lizard.

Seriously? It should not have taken him 2 thirds of the movie to figure out. It should have been obvious to him who the lizard was from the MOMENT he shows up.

And then for some reason there is a race against the clock to stop some kind of bomb that will turn half of New York's population into lizards for a few hours. After that they will turn back to humans without any problems. I've been to New York, getting turned into lizards for a few hours would not unbalance most New Yorkers. There was no suspense. They had already shown that Doc Conners also just changed back human after a few hours unless he got a new shot of serum. They did not need to stop the bomb, just catch the lizard. In fact, they can just load the cure into the bomb and change everybody back to human after just a few minutes. Oh my lord I loathe this movie. I hate it with such a passion.

I have not seen such a blatant disregard for your audience's intelligence since Transformers 2. And just when I thought they couldn't make Peter Parker any more unlikeable or the story less ****ed up; The final line happens. F*ck you Peter. You are an *sshole and I hope your stupid girlfriend gets dropped off a bridge.

People liked this movie? Really? Even the bit with the cranes lining up? REALLY!? The CRANES!!? F*ck you. Your opinion is stupid and you should be ashamed. Consider yourselves judged, likers of Amazing Spider-man. Consider yourselves judged.

Robje out.

So, I gather you weren't a very big fan of this movie?

I thought it was alright, but I don't go into superhero movies excepting brilliant cinema.

Last edited:
I thought it was alright, but I don't go into superhero movies excepting brilliant cinema.

Dont give me that. There are plenty of great superhero movies around. Movies that have dept and add something to the original story. Movies that do not cheap the death of Uncle Ben by bribing Peter with chocolate milk. I mean, seriously. Peter has to choose between doing what is right or accepting chocolate milk. He goes for the chocolate milk. Bye uncle Ben.

Seriously, Peter parker was SUCH and unlikable brat in this. Why did the movie portray him as petty and self-centred!? The whole basketball scene showed what an ******* he is! Even Flash was friendlier than Peter in this movie. Peter was the bully and Flash was the good guy! And that was before he COMPLETELY neglects his girlfriend during the most difficult time of her life by hiding behind the promise he made her dying father ONLY to break that promise as soon as she's back on her feet. **** you, Peter Parker, you self-centred *******! You should have supported her from the start. Go drink your chocolate milk.

I guess if I have to say something positive about this movie, the school fight scene was pretty cool. Although the bit with the Lizard's tail coming off was weird and the part where Parker throws Gwen out of a window just makes me wish Toby Macintosh was back.

**** this movie. With great cranes comes great chocolate milk.

Dont give me that. There are plenty of great superhero movies around. Movies that have dept and add something to the original story. Movies that do not cheap the death of Uncle Ben by bribing Peter with chocolate milk. I mean, seriously. Peter has to choose between doing what is right or accepting chocolate milk. He goes for the chocolate milk. Bye uncle Ben.

**** this movie. With great cranes comes great chocolate milk.

:lol: Post of the Day.

Another thing that bothered me about this movie is that Peter is not a nerd. He's very geek chic. I know you don't have to be a slave to the comics but some things are essential to the character. Peter as a smart alack hipster takes away from the identifiability (sp?) of the character.

How is that any different from not stopping the guy who robbed the wrestling arena?

Another thing that bothered me about this movie is that Peter is not a nerd. He's very geek chic. I know you don't have to be a slave to the comics but some things are essential to the character. Peter as a smart alack hipster takes away from the identifiability (sp?) of the character.

I don't really understand this argument. What does he need to be to classify as a "nerd"? Should he wear a bow tie and sweater vest like he did in the 60s? Does he not count as a nerd b/c he skateboards? He's incredibly smart and has no friends. That captures the essence of his nerdy side as it is portrayed in the comics.

Peter is the "Everyman". He's the underdog. That's what makes him identifiable. They just updated that to be current. He struggles with life and holds it all in. When he gets a chance to get back at the guy who beat him up, he takes it b/c who wouldn't? And yeah, he is selfish and kind of a jerk. But his character arc is about him growing as a person past that and using his power responsibly to help people and not just to lash out at those who hurt him.

The characterization and relationships are what they got right in this movie. Plot... not so much. But I'll take it.

Latest posts

Back