Should he be called, "The Batman" or "Batman?"

• The Batman

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Batman

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MaxwellSmart

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a while.

Which do you prefer more as Batman's title "The Batman" or "Batman?"

Both work for me. Depends on the context they are used.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a while.

Which do you prefer more as Batman's title "The Batman" or "Batman?"

Batman by far. I like The Batman in certain context like "I'm the god damn Batman" But I've seen The Batman show, and their method of distinguishing themselves comes to them saying "The Batman" every single time, with no exceptions, really gets on my nerves.

The context I always think of is when he says, "I"m the Batman," or when a villian or henchman says, "OMG, it's the Batman."

The context I always think of is when he says, "I"m the Batman," or when a villian or henchman says, "OMG, it's the Batman."

That's what I mean. Him saying "I''m the batman" Dose not work for me. BUT villains calling him it like in Batman begins with "He's coming" "who?" "The batman" bit with scarecrow works very well. The police saying "The Batman" works. Alfred saying it doesn't.

That might not make much sense

I guess it works best in the role he's being used in.

If he's the dark, mysterious, nocturnal detective who prays on criminals being a superstitious and cowardly lot---then he's The Batman.

But if he's doing that global, save the galaxy Justice League thing---then he's Batman.

The only real problem is that with him being such a global public figure like he is in the JL...then I would think that most criminals would know that he's just a man and he would lose the "mystery" element he has going for him. So then, even if he's being used as The Dark Knight....he's still just Batman.

Personally I don't like the idea of Batman being a global hero like in JL. It takes away teh street avenger appeal of the character. Even though he is just badass...he seems out of place amongst all these superpowered beings. It pretty much the same problem I have with Spider-Man being a New Avenger hero. When its all said and done....he's just in over his head.

Some character just fit with a definite article before their name. i.e. The Hulk. To me "Batman" is his identity. It seems natural to call Bruce Wayne "Batman." It doesn't seem natural to Bruce Banner "Hulk."

I agree that there are time where "The Batman" fits, but they over use it way too much.

The Bat-Man.

Because it should be a description, not a name.

JLers and Jim Gordon can call him Batman. Everyone else? The Bat-Man.

I agree, Batman works as an urban legend, when you refer to him as 'the' when he's on the JL but not publicly..like he's there in the watchtower and the other heroes can call him batman..or bats.

But now it's become quite established that he exists and he's in the jla. so maybe in the current context he should be known as just 'batman'.

I really wanna find that quote from Zatanna in JL heroes, there's a youtube review where they keep saying what sucks about the game and then cut to her character saying "sorry batman" ..it's well funny but trying to describe isn't realy.

Most people call him The Batman. His friends call him Batman.

Calling him The Batman is like calling him Mr. Batman.

I don't know about this mystique surrounding Batman.

You people talk about him like he's the Loch Ness Monster of the DC Universe.

Both work for me. Depends on the context they are used.

Exactly.

"I'm Batman!" Is ****-cool.

But when mobsters suddenly cry in fear "It's the Batman!" that's cool too.

Batman by far. I like The Batman in certain context like "I'm the god damn Batman" But I've seen The Batman show, and their method of distinguishing themselves comes to them saying "The Batman" every single time, with no exceptions, really gets on my nerves.

In a lot of ways, I hate that show more than the Adam West show so anything it ever does or has ever done is irrelevant. Damn it to hell.

I agree, Batman works as an urban legend, when you refer to him as 'the' when he's on the JL but not publicly..like he's there in the watchtower and the other heroes can call him batman..or bats.

That's sort of just another reason why the concept of an urban legend gritty, crimefighter Batman being in a 'JLA' is just silly. The only Batman that works for the JLA is the superhero scientist Batman.

But now it's become quite established that he exists and he's in the jla.

Until DC decide otherwise. As far as I know, "War Games" was when Batman was revealed to the world after approximately ten years of operating secretly But DC might just retcon that again.

Latest posts

Back