The Blogosphere

ourchair

I'm curious to know what blogs and feeds people actively follow here.

I currently use Pageflakes, which is similar to iGoogle (is it still around, I haven't checked in two years) and Bloglines in that it allows you to plug numerous feeds onto a single page for viewing convenience. You can view my account here.

Currently, I follow Worldchanging, the bright green environmentalism blog for most of my eco-news. I tried following Grist --- which is probably a tie with WC for favorite eco blog --- and Treehugger too, but then it was too difficult to manage them all.

Like everyone else, I follow Warren Ellis and Boingboing, but I also have Open the Future, WC's Jamais Cascio's futurism and foresight blog.

For videogaming, I keep track of Gamasutra features, Kotaku, Offworld and GamePolitics, which is odd considering I haven't bought a new game for my PC in two years now.

For general entertainment news, I read io9 because of its broad sci-fi coverage, and The Hollywood Reporter for industry analysis and insight.

For games, I usually do Cheat Code Central. For comics it's Newsarama and the other usual suspects. For movies, you people. As far as blogs go, I do at least one monthly via myspace. I was interested in doing a more public blog but decided against it because I don't think anybody would listen. I tried doing reviews on a website called 215ink but I stopped because the comics I was supposed to review were being done by 2 other people as well. I thought it was somewhat pointless. I really just want to go back and review older comics to get comic readers interested in something already established but I'd need a better platform than that.

The only ones I can think of that I read regularly are Stereogum and Videogum. Videogum comes highly recommended. It's basically a consistently hilarious daily dose of the kind of stuff The Soup and Best Week Ever do every Friday.
I'm curious to know what blogs and feeds people actively follow here.

I currently use Pageflakes, which is similar to iGoogle (is it still around, I haven't checked in two years) and Bloglines in that it allows you to plug numerous feeds onto a single page for viewing convenience. You can view my account here.
I need to look into that. I'm pretty out of my depth when it comes to feeds and stuff and there are plenty of blogs that I'd follow on a daily basis if I had the time.

Hmm, now that you mention comic blogs and sites, does anybody recommend any good ones?

I want something a little more analytical than Newsarama, with a broad coverage, much like io9's approach to sci-fi.

My Movie Blogs:

Cinematical - My personal favorite, with a strong leaning towards geek-centric movie news.

Videogum - More TV than Movies, and more internet content than anything else, but its funny as hell and catches all of the weirdest viral videos imaginable.

Movie City News - Not so much in terms of independent movie reporting, but it pulls together a lot of great posts from different places and is a great place to read intelligently written stuff about the film industry.

Deadline Hollywood Daily - More about the industry than the content, but Nikki Finke is the only reliable insider i've ever come across. Best for the weekends, where she constantly updates the box office numbers and internal predictions.

I need to look into that. I'm pretty out of my depth when it comes to feeds and stuff and there are plenty of blogs that I'd follow on a daily basis if I had the time.
Yeah that used to be my problem, and to some extent I feel like I still can't completely catch up.

However, I like using Pageflakes because it stops me from visiting sites of interest too much, and rely on just how attention getting the headline is. Granted, that means I might miss out on some things, but it keeps me satisfied enough to not lose track of time, because you know, I have a life that needs to be maintained off-line.

Does anybody follow, The Beat or Comicon's Pulse, what are your thoughts on those comic blogs?

My Movie Blogs:

Cinematical - My personal favorite, with a strong leaning towards geek-centric movie news.

Videogum - More TV than Movies, and more internet content than anything else, but its funny as hell and catches all of the weirdest viral videos imaginable.

Movie City News - Not so much in terms of independent movie reporting, but it pulls together a lot of great posts from different places and is a great place to read intelligently written stuff about the film industry.

Deadline Hollywood Daily - More about the industry than the content, but Nikki Finke is the only reliable insider i've ever come across. Best for the weekends, where she constantly updates the box office numbers and internal predictions.
I think you'd like The Hollywood Reporter's Risky Biz Blog. It's more on box office and release analysis than anything else, and at times it just only touches the surface of issues it brings up rather than explore them in-depth, but just enough to compel you to look up more and think a bit about movies.

Best of all, they update infrequently enough that it's moderately easy to catch up on it if you feel the need to read every post.

I use Netvibes as my startup page and I follow numerous feeds on that, blogs and regular sites.

Blog-wise, I follow Gizmodo, Consumerist, Wired, Kotaku, Unofficial Apple Weblog, and io9 regularly.

Latest posts

Back