The Chronicles of Narnia

I saw this the other night. A decent bit of fluff that had the possibility to be something great but missed the mark. The high point was Aslan, his animation was great and Liam Neeson was the perfect choice for the voice. Other than that, it was still fun to watch, just not breathtaking.

Guijllons said:
'Narnia represents everything that is most hateful about religion'

Children won't get the Christian subtext, but unbelievers should keep a sickbag handy during Disney's new epic, writes Polly Toynbee

Yeah, I read that thing. It was linked on infidels.org newswire. Made me laugh quite a bit.

I'm an atheist and when Aslan did his Christ routine, it just made me chuckle at the lack of subtlety. Didn't make me reach for my sickbag or ruin the whole movie. Religious imagery is common in art, some elements more tasteful than others. Most atheists shrug it off or even appreciate it when it's done well (As in Leonard Cohen lyrics). Apparently, this one chose to become indignant over it. Not the typical attitude but to each his own.

Considering the reviews : as you can see here, this movie has had 75% of good critics with an average rating of 7.1/10. Not bad. Of course, each LoTR did much better but these movies are few and far in between.

Last edited:
skotti-chan said:
So, here's the deal, if you feel soooo put out there is a touch of religion to a story, don't read/watch/listen to it.

I personally think that if a person is offended when he/she is greeted "God bless" or "Merry Christmas", or mentions "Jesus Christ" that is not used as a swear word, that person has some serious issues. I really don't get political correctness. You can't make everybody happy, but at least you can give them some respect and civility.

Can't wait to watch this movie. I think I fell asleep after 5 mins of watching the 80's Narnia movies, but this one is really different.

Last edited:
just in defense of "children's" literature:

i honestly don't see the Chronicles of Narnia as being something meant solely for children. i read never got around to reading the books until recently. at 22, i didn't feel that there was anything lacking in entertainment value, or felt that i had to dumb myself down. this is C.S. Lewis, not R.L. Stine.

more so than anything, i felt it was a compelling story. i had a few problems with the continual change in cast (which made it hard for me to like the new characters whenever they threw out the old ones), but it was a really good read.

i'm excited about watching the film, and hope it'll be decent. at the very least, it can't possibly be as bad as Madagascar, and i'm still sore over the fact that i paid to watch the steaming pile of crap.

I saw this last night, Christmas Eve.

I liked it, it was different to LOTR, which was good. I'm interested in reading the books now, as I've only read parts of them at random times.

But yes, this is a cool movie.

It was good.......but those kids are so annoying. Especially the little monster. I mean yikes....I've seen straighter teeth on a crackhead.

My sister got the DVD.

Oh God, this is worse than it was last time.

I watched this again on DVD.

It was STILL crap.

Walden Media cannot be trusted.

They dropped the ball on Around the World in 80 Days, they dropped the ball on this and now they're making The Seeker: Dark is Rising, which looks pretty damn stupid too.

I watched this again on DVD.

It was STILL crap.

Walden Media cannot be trusted.

They dropped the ball on Around the World in 80 Days, they dropped the ball on this and now they're making The Seeker: Dark is Rising, which looks pretty damn stupid too.

The Seeker already came out. And made $0.00 at the Box Office. Well, basically.

The Seeker already came out. And made $0.00 at the Box Office. Well, basically.
Good.

I can't think of one moment in every single trailer I've seen that made me want to see it.

And I'm pretty damn easy to be enticed to see a movie. I mean, I saw Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde, The Core and Wing Commander in the same week.

And I'm pretty damn easy to be enticed to see a movie. I mean, I saw Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde, The Core and Wing Commander in the same week.
I must once again ask, HOW ARE YOU ALIVE!?

Latest posts

Back