The College Thread

MaxwellSmart said:
Dr. Strangefate, how does your sexual orientation affect your standing at your catholic high school? What are the potential restrictions at Loyola University? I ask because my sister was considering going to Westmont College. It's a private christian college in Santa Barbara. She was shocked at the "moral guidelines" they required their students to abbide by. They were things like no practicing homosexuality, no premaritial sex, no drinking or drug use, even no living with a man you're not married or related to.

Private Christian is much different than Private Catholic. American Evangelist Christians are the craziest ****ers you'll ever meet in your life. They believe each word of the bible literally, even though the first two chapters of genesis actually Contradict eachother. *sigh* people.

But Jesuits are intellectuals, one of my favorite counselors at school is a Jesuit priest and he's never even suggested that I should not be gay or any of that crap. I have had many (frustrating) meetings with my Jesuit principal regarding the issue, and have had some editorials printed in our school newspaper.

Loyola is pretty much a free-for-all... one of my best friends who goes there knows almost more gay people than straight people.

So it's not a problem. I actualyl sent my editorial for the paper in to all of the schools i'm applying, and Loyola still accepted me.

I went to the Kent Institute of Art and Design in Canterbury but quit in April due to disgust.

I then went to Canterbury Christ Church to do a joint degree in Radio, Film and Television + Media and Cultural Studies which I completed a couple of years back. I enjoyed that college much more, but got bored come the third year as I realised I was not taking a course designed to give me the skills neccessary to do the things I wanted to do, but rather a course designed to give me the skills to write essays about the things I wanted to do.

That said, I wrote an essay on Watchmen that got stolen because it was so good. Apparently.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Private Christian is much different than Private Catholic. American Evangelist Christians are the craziest ****ers you'll ever meet in your life. They believe each word of the bible literally, even though the first two chapters of genesis actually Contradict eachother. *sigh* people.
I know what you mean. Pat Robertson scares me more than Osama Bin Laden. Here's my favorite "christian" theory on homosexuality and abortion, "They're the devil's way of making sure no more children will be born into this world." Apparently the theory revolves around the idea that if gays can get married no one will bother staying straight and the world will plummet into to despair. Crazy people make me laugh.
But Jesuits are intellectuals, one of my favorite counselors at school is a Jesuit priest and he's never even suggested that I should not be gay or any of that crap. I have had many (frustrating) meetings with my Jesuit principal regarding the issue, and have had some editorials printed in our school newspaper.

Loyola is pretty much a free-for-all... one of my best friends who goes there knows almost more gay people than straight people.

So it's not a problem. I actualyl sent my editorial for the paper in to all of the schools i'm applying, and Loyola still accepted me.
I know the Jesuits are one of the more liberal orders of the priesthood. Even so, I suprised none of your teachers or counselors have suggested praying until your not gay anymore(which is more or less the official position on the issue.) Did your principal threatened to kick you out. I was thought they might be getting more pressure to conform to official church positions, especially after the Jesuit editor of the Catholic magazine "America" was fired for publishing conflicting editorials on issues like homosexuality. I go to a Franciscan church, but many of my uncles were educated by Jesuits and were always able to find support for their more controvesial positions, military service, from their teachers and counselors.

Here's my favorite qoute in response to the church's most recent position on homosexuality and the priesthood, "apparently they care what kind of sex you wouldn't be having." For all their efforts, I've known several gay priests. In fact, my pastor of several years was having a homosexual relationship with another priest stationed at the parish. I was pretty sure this other priest was gay(porcelain doll collection seemed like a dead give away), but my pastor had always seemed like such a man's man, other than having a great singing voice.

Last edited:
MaxwellSmart said:
I know the Jesuits are one of the more liberal orders of the priesthood. Even so, I suprised none of your teachers or counselors have suggested praying until your not gay anymore(which is more or less the official position on the issue.) Did your principal threatened to kick you out. I was thought they might be getting more pressure to conform to official church positions, especially after the Jesuit editor of the Catholic magazine "America" was fired for publishing conflicting editorials on issues like homosexuality. I go to a Franciscan church, but many of my uncles were educated by Jesuits and were always able to find support for their more controvesial positions, military service, from their teachers and counselors.

I've thankfully never been told to "pray it out" and I've never been threatened with expulsion, our school just started a support group for gay teens, and is generally extremely supportive.

I don't think there's a single person in our theology department who goes around teaching that its bad, in fact, they are some of the most supportive people about it. (they can't teach against the church's teachings, and therefore it doesnt come up much in class, but that's better than a negative standpoint)

I go to St. thomas Aquinas college in Sparkill New York.
let me tell you about my school: It's a private 4-year college. It is certified by NCATTE (Don't know all of the initials for it). It is a comitte that has certified only 18 other schools in the nation for education. Because of this ceritifcation getting an education degree from St. Thomas Aquinas means being able to teach in ALL 50 STATES!!! It's like getting a business degree from Harvard. It's also certified by the middle states comitte (don't know what that is though)
I'm currently a history major. i don't know what I want to do though

Just an update to this...

I am oficially going to Sarah Lawrence College in the fall, and therefore will be in the NYC area.

Anyone from that area know about any good comic shops??

Dr.Strangefate said:

I am oficially going to Sarah Lawrence College in the fall, and therefore will be in the NYC area.

Ice said Midtown is really cool...I think it's in Times Square?

Dr.Strangefate said:

I'm glad to hear about your upcoming college life. What do you want to do at Sarah Lawrence. I've heard it referenced to as an art school, but I couldn't say if that's valid.

College

So the pressure is officially on for me to decide where I'm going for college. I was fairly worried about having to decide and I was starting to get a bit pessimistic about the whole thing, but now that I've actually started to research, I'm feeling much better.

My top choice? Columbia, in Chicago.

It's all about art and writing, it's located downtown (Where I'd like to move after college), it's one of the cheapest art schools in the country, they offer tons of scholarships and financial support, and the admissions standards are incredibly loose (I've heard that all you really need to do is write a good essay. They don't even care about grades or test scores).

I'm in love.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I know that I'm going to.

Those of you who are in High School, what are your college plans?

Any advice from those of you who have gone/are going?

Re: College

I personally applied to several places, that way I could have a choice. Also, you never know who might offer you a scholarship, so try not to limit yourself to just one choice.

I just got accepted into Ryerson U and University of Toronto(UofT).

I only applied to those two because they're both in Toronto and I can't afford to live in residence anywhere. UofT is by far the most prestigious University in Canada and one of the best in the world. I'm amazed I even got in actually. A bunch of Nobel Prize winners went there, and it's where the Pacemaker was invented, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Take a look at the links.

So the pressure is officially on for me to decide where I'm going for college. I was fairly worried about having to decide and I was starting to get a bit pessimistic about the whole thing, but now that I've actually started to research, I'm feeling much better.

My top choice? Columbia, in Chicago.

It's all about art and writing, it's located downtown (Where I'd like to move after college), it's one of the cheapest art schools in the country, they offer tons of scholarships and financial support, and the admissions standards are incredibly loose (I've heard that all you really need to do is write a good essay. They don't even care about grades or test scores).

I'm in love.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I know that I'm going to.

Those of you who are in High School, what are your college plans?

Any advice from those of you who have gone/are going?

Here's where I go to college. You should go here too.

also once you get into college, you realize what a joke high school was.

and then you realize that all of high school was just you trying to get into a good college/not caring and going to an average college. stupid high school.:evil:

I hayt you

I'm hoping that my family and I might be moving to Australia the year after next, so I can go to a university in the Gold Coast...

also once you get into college, you realize what a joke high school was.

and then you realize that all of high school was just you trying to get into a good college/not caring and going to an average college. stupid high school.:evil:

I hayt you
It's true.

I'm like bitter at what a waste of time high school was. They should have said on the first day, "Welcome to the most pointless days of your life."

Last edited:
I graduated from The Ohio State University, I dual majored and received my BA's in Fine Art and Art History.

I'm currently going to Ohio University for my BA's in Graphic and Interior Designs.

I'm currently pulling a 3.89 GPA

I graduated from The Ohio State University, I dual majored and received my BA's in Fine Art and Art History.

I'm currently going to Ohio University for my BA's in Graphic and Interior Designs.

I'm currently pulling a 3.89 GPA
You went back for a third bachelor's degree?

Why not just go to grad school?

Latest posts

Back