The College Thread

I got my acceptance letter to UCSB last Friday.

So I'll be starting there next September.

You went back for a third bachelor's degree?

Why not just go to grad school?

To be perfectly honest, Art History and Fine Art graduate degrees are pretty useless in the real world. Secondly, I'm old, when I went to college the first time, I was 15 years younger and the graphic design industry wasn't what it is today.

To be perfectly honest, Art History and Fine Art graduate degrees are pretty useless in the real world. Secondly, I'm old, when I went to college the first time, I was 15 years younger and the graphic design industry wasn't what it is today.
But couldn't you have gotten you Masters degree in graphic design?

I wanted to go to Columbia and have actually gone down there a few times to get an application but never turned it in. My cousin graduated from there, so I have that as a reference. I'm not an artist though, and I'm not certain I want to make movies anyway. My cousin doesn't even make movies anymore.

I've definitely found that people shouldn't major in something just because they find it interesting. There are lots of majors I would love to explore, but I'm also thinking about my career, and realistically there aren't a lot of jobs out there for PoliSci majors.

The problem with degrees like that while they are legit fields of study, very few jobs exist in those fields, and you'll most likely end up in a different kind of job. Like you can potentially be a writer with a degree in English, but how many English majors become writers?

Then there's always the degrees that just say that you went to college. Sociology, Communications, Psychology(BA only)....

Any advice from those of you who have gone/are going?
Don't go. Kill yourself first, or opt for a career in reality television. Anything is better.

There's no point doing something you aren't interested in, because you really honestly will flunk out. A couple of people I knew got pushed into stuff, and were pretty bright so didn't fail and whatever, but hated it and have got some serious debt behind them because they're two years in and starting on their third bachelors.

I only applied to those two because they're both in Toronto and I can't afford to live in residence anywhere. UofT is by far the most prestigious University in Canada and one of the best in the world. I'm amazed I even got in actually.
I got told by Canadians that UofT was good for some stuff but was fairly equal to UBC and McGill. These weren't just dirty uni students either, they worked for the Canadian Consulate and were trying to convince us to go.

I'm hoping that my family and I might be moving to Australia the year after next, so I can go to a university in the Gold Coast...
Don't go to Bond. Its like paying to go to college in America, except you're doing it in Australia. Griffith is pretty decent for a lot of things - it depends what you study but I've got a few friends who go there.

Then there's always the degrees that just say that you went to college. Sociology, Communications, Psychology(BA only)....
I can't speak for any of the others but if you've got good qualifications in sociology, you can definitely get a job here. Psychology isn't as direct, but it spreads across a lot of secondary fields as a good skill to have and communications seems to be the same to me.

You're right though, there definitely are pretentious wanky degrees. We call them "Arts" here.

Oh, I was already hating you for that, and you have an Australian accent, which makes me hate you even more.

Trust me, you're getting enough hate from me

one thing i tell everyone that says they want to go to college: if a carrer looks hot, when you get out in 3-6 years, it wont exist.

one thing i tell everyone that says they want to go to college: if a carrer looks hot, when you get out in 3-6 years, it wont exist.
Yes.

In recent years, a lot of Filipinos are trying to become nurses because of the great demand for nursing and care in other countries --- to the point that some doctors are becoming nurses --- and so EVERYONE has been entering the college nursing programs without realizing that the demand for that will have plateaued by the time they graduate (if it hasn't plateaued already).

After putting it off for a couple of years I think I will start colleage this fall.

Get a degree in business and open my own comic shop. It will be more than that but it will be awesome.

After putting it off for a couple of years I think I will start colleage this fall.

Get a degree in business and open my own comic shop. It will be more than that but it will be awesome.
Good luck to you.

Also, I've already finished two classes. I have a 76 in Nutrition, and I'm pretty sure I passed Computer Animation with an A (maybe A-. I had a 78 in the midterm exam, but 100s, 90s, quizes/homeworks and one 80 on a quiz). Now Monday I finish the last day for my Digital Photography Class, and then Wednesday is my last day for Graphics. Then it's SUMMER VACATION UNTIL THE LAST WEEK IN AUGUST!!!!!!!!

I hope to go back and get my Bachelors after I get my job situation sorted out.

I would also like to do what Seldes did and just go back for different things that interest me. I think that's cool. I would like an English major at some point.

At this point, I have no ****ing idea. I've never had any coherent ideas about what I wanted to do with my life. And as senior year draws closer, I'm starting to get nervous about the college thing.

Yes.

In recent years, a lot of Filipinos are trying to become nurses because of the great demand for nursing and care in other countries --- to the point that some doctors are becoming nurses --- and so EVERYONE has been entering the college nursing programs without realizing that the demand for that will have plateaued by the time they graduate (if it hasn't plateaued already).

we have the same thing happening down here, everyone and there momma is going into nursing.

thee great one said:

need any help let me know.

I've been two years in community college, getting BS classes taken care of, and I'm gonna transfer to Grandview College this fall or maybe next spring, I think. I don't know if I'm gonna double major in English and then History or Literature. I can complete either setup in no time.

Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Just finished my 2nd year because after high school I screwed around for 2 years rather than going to straight to college. Could have gone to Columbia in Chicago like Moony plans to, but SIU was cheaper.

Latest posts

Back