The de-powering mutant machine.

Should Forge create the de-powering mutant machine?

• Total voters

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
So what do you guys think:

Should Forge create his infamous gadget that takes away your mutant powers in the Ultimate Universe? I forgot why he created it in the first place in 616, but there were some X-Men that sure weren't too happy with him creating it.

I'm saying yes because it would make an interesting story line.

Last edited:
I'm offended by the Bass option. Loebendis is nowhere near this thread. Harumph!

In any case, I think the Forge de-powering machine could be very exciting. We know Joss Whedon did the whole 'cure' thing in Astonishing X-Men and that was wicked. I'm positive there are a lot of stories to be told under the banner of "What if there was a way to permanently shut off the mutant gene?"

I mean... that was the point of House of M.

Beside the money.

Actually, money was the only point as it seems mutants are already getting their powers back so that when the 'energy' attacks for the next big crossover stuff can be done. Because nothing says "crossover" than sentient gas. Mmmm. That's good stories.

I chose the Bass option. Since (like Bass said) this has nothing to do with Loeb or Bendis, I'm interested as to what it entails.

I'm assuming it involves cake.

Bass said:
I'm offended by the Bass option. Loebendis is nowhere near this thread. Harumph!
:lol:

Bass said:
In any case, I think the Forge de-powering machine could be very exciting. We know Joss Whedon did the whole 'cure' thing in Astonishing X-Men and that was wicked. I'm positive there are a lot of stories to be told under the banner of "What if there was a way to permanently shut off the mutant gene?"
Exactly. It'd be very cool and exciting.

Bass said:
Actually, money was the only point as it seems mutants are already getting their powers back so that when the 'energy' attacks for the next big crossover stuff can be done. Because nothing says "crossover" than sentient gas. Mmmm. That's good stories.
Only one mutant got his power back (Iceman) and that was planned since the beggining because they wanted to use HoM to no longer have him be stuck in his ice state.

:roll: Whatever.

"I killed off Hawkeye just so I could bring him back because blah blah blah."

"We killed Chamber and raped almost every other mutant who wasn't Wolverine or a main star of the X-Men because we didn't think of doing it when it was emotionally appropriate - which was New X-Men #114. We need the money."

"We took away Magneto's powers just so we could undercut the entirity of the the 'no more mutants' of House of M because by takign away Magneto's powers, we are essentially telling you everyone will somehow get their powers back because you know Magneto always always comes back."

"We let Morrison kill Magneto so that we could bring him back so he could become a cripple."

If it was all intended to be bollocks, it's still bollocks.

Whatever.

Ultimate Warrior said:
I don't know. I would want a story including a de-powering machine but I don't want a story based on the de-powering machine. Did that make sense?
Yes, it did.

But I'm not talking about about a story based on the machine, it would be a story based including it, so it's really about the affects it made.

icemastertron said:
Yes, it did.

But I'm not talking about about a story based on the machine, it would be a story based including it, so it's really about the affects it made.

That's the stuff. :D

icemastertron said:
Only one mutant got his power back (Iceman) and that was planned since the beggining because they wanted to use HoM to no longer have him be stuck in his ice state.

Why didn't they do that to beast as well........ i think he looks terrible as a cat

No. What a dumb idea.

Geez, X-Men sucks so bad.

I honestly don't want to see it. Not as a machine anyways. The cure thing is alright, but the machine doesn't make much sense.

And we're probably going to see the 'mutant cure' now that X3 focuses on it. Like we need to cut down on mutants in the Ultimate Universe. :roll:

I don't like the idea of taking away powers. It could mean the ruining of a character, it lacks in originality, and, most of all, it's a bad idea when the name of the game is to bring up how mutants are oppressed and what not. Why would one mutant want to take the powers of others away? That, to me, is a weak idea.

Here's what I got from Forge's bio on this:

Forge also created a neutralizer device that could theoretically deprive any superhumanly powerful being of his or her superhuman abilities.

On presidential orders Henry Peter Gyrich, an agent of the National Security Council, took possession of the only existing model of Forge's neutralizer in order to use it against Rogue, a member of the mutant X-Men who was falsely suspected of killing an agent of the intelligence organization SHIELD. Forge was outraged; the neutralizer was still untested, and he did not know if it would remove a target's superhuman powers temporarily or permanently, or possibly even kill him or her. Forge physically attempted to prevent Gyrich from using the device on Rogue, but Gyrich instead shot Rogue's fellow X-Man Storm with it, as she attempted to protect her colleague. Her own superhuman powers apparently entirely removed, Storm fell into a river, from which Forge rescued her.

Feeling guilt and responsibility for the loss of her powers, Forge brought Storm to his headquarters in Dallas, Texas. There Storm revived, and she and Forge grew strongly attached to each other. However, when Storm learned that Forge had designed the neutralizer gun that had deprived her of her powers, she felt betrayed. Furious at Forge, she left his building, but returned on learning he was in danger from the Dire Wraiths. The Wraiths were aware that Forge's neutralizer could not, in its present stage of development, harm them and intended to kill him before he could improve it. Together, Storm, Forge, the X-Men, Magik, and the sorceress Amanda Sefton defeated the Wraiths who came after Forge, but Storm's hatred of Forge persisted.

Forge further improved his neutralizer so that it would negate the Wraiths' mystical abilities, and created several of these improved devices, but he was still guilt-ridden over Storm's loss of her powers. Fearing that people would use his neutralizers against other superhuman Earth beings, Forge did not want to give them the devices even for use against the Dire Wraiths. But after joining forces with the Wraiths' greatest foe, the space knight Rom, to battle Wraiths in Dallas, Forge decided to construct a gigantic "neo-neutralizer" in Earth's orbit. Powered by Rom's own neutralizer, Forge's orbiting device could cast all the Dire Wraiths on Earth into other-dimensional Limbo.

But Gyrich intended to use the neo-neutralizer to eliminate the superhuman powers of every being on Earth. To thwart Gyrich's plan, Rom and Forge aimed the neo-neutralizer not at Earth but at the Wraith's homeworld, Wraithworld, which was approaching Earth through hyperspace. The device negated Wraithworld's magic, the source of the Wraiths' own mystical powers, therefore causing Wraithworld to cease to exist and depriving Wraiths throughout the universe of their mystical abilities. Thus Forge is responsible for saving Earth from the Dire Wraiths.

Forge has ensured that the neo-neutralizer cannot be used against Earth's superhumanly powerful beings, and all known specimens of Forge's neutralizer have been destroyed. One neutralizer was used by Tony Stark to depower the superhuman criminal, the Termite, and was subsequently destoyed.

Bass said:
Because nothing says "crossover" than sentient gas. Mmmm. That's good stories.
Sentient gas? Crossover? This sounds like a Claremont idea!

Imagine a story where Jean Grey's flatulence accumulates psychic energy such that it becomes self-aware. The focused totality of her powers, so to speak. It's the Days of Future Dark Phoenix Gas!

ourchair said:
Sentient gas? Crossover? This sounds like a Claremont idea!

Imagine a story where Jean Grey's flatulence accumulates psychic energy such that it becomes self-aware. The focused totality of her powers, so to speak. It's the Days of Future Dark Phoenix Gas!

Let's just give this guy "post of the day" since he's the only one who knows what he's talking about! ;)

Latest posts

Back