The Event!

I immediate thought Inception because of Gordon Joseph Levitt

what the **** is this post

I tried watching the first episode. Stopped after ten minutes.

what the **** is this post

:lol::lol:

The obnoxious, manufactured hype, almost parody-level genericness, and uncertainty of the show lasting long enough to resolve things has so far deterred me from watching it. I might check it out if I'm in the mood someday, but more likely.... I'm calling it: mockingly summarizing each episode will become a meme, and that will be the extent of my and many people's experience with the show.

I stopped watching the minute they said alien.

I have had a feeling a lot of people will drop it the minute they revealed it. Just because they hype they tried to build can't match what it actually is. I still haven't seen it but now I'm curious knowing it's something alien and that it now has a direction

Indeed, I gave up when I realised that if LOST said Wallace was psychic, it was a let down, and it would be a let down if he wasn't. There was no answer they could give that would justify the show.

That threshold is very subjective, but once you hit it, you're done. It's a tough tight-rope to walk, which is why almost every show that's tried to walk it that I can think of, failed miserably except for BABYLON 5 and the first five seasons of THE X-FILES. (Can anyone think of any others that pulled it off? FLASHFORWARD didn't, HEROES managed one and a half seasons, LOST didn't...)

Indeed, I gave up when I realised that if LOST said Wallace was psychic, it was a let down, and it would be a let down if he wasn't. There was no answer they could give that would justify the show.

.... huh? :sure:

But I agree that this is the ultimate trap for this kind of story. Taking refuge in the seemingly fantastical stuff not being real keeps the story relatable and relevant, and hinting that it the fantastical stuff is indeed real keeps the story exciting and fascinating, so they keep this balance for a few seasons of relatable, relevant, exciting, fascinating, wholly wonderful television and then are forced to go one way or the other through demanded revelation.... and the show is never as good again.

I feel like it's been done successfully at least once though, but can't think of an example. K-PAX kept it ambiguous for the entire story, and managed to hit a pitch-perfect level of satisfying revelation, realism and sci-fi, but that's just my opinion, and K-PAX wasn't a TV show. Hmmm.

The black kid in the show. Wasn't he called Wallace? Walt? I dunno.

But yes, I can't think of many tv shows that have truly pulled it off. FRINGE for example, built the big mystery of "The Pattern"; not only did we not discover what the pattern of "The Pattern" was (they called it "the pattern" because they noticed weird events happening globally - but we never know how they discovered it was a pattern. People don't name patterns "The Pattern", they name it after what the pattern is; for example, "The Ones and Tens" if the weird things only happened on the 1st and 10ths of a month - we don't know what the pattern is or how they worked out it exists) but we discover that what's behind it, is random after-effects of something Bishop did. So the big question; "Who is behind "the Pattern"? Who is behind this carefully orchestrated series of events that treat the human species as a lab rat?" turns out to have this answer: "It's random aftereffects from something Bishop did a long time ago." Rubbish.

That threshold is very subjective, but once you hit it, you're done. It's a tough tight-rope to walk, which is why almost every show that's tried to walk it that I can think of, failed miserably except for BABYLON 5 and the first five seasons of THE X-FILES. (Can anyone think of any others that pulled it off? FLASHFORWARD didn't, HEROES managed one and a half seasons, LOST didn't...)

Alias pulled it off to certain degree, but it was more of a balance act.

Yea, The Event is like that. They did not outwardly say "alien". Within the conversation they went back and forth. "Their DNA is 1% different than humans, but they are the same as humans". "They are not terrestrial." In addition to that, according to the US Gov't within the show, these "not-humans" have a hidden agenda. What is it? They don't know for sure, but that is enough of a reason to keep them imprisoned. They can't differentiate these "people" from people, but they know they are up to no good. They are treading water here, which I think is what Bass was saying. Lost did it with Walt, Flashforward did it because they didn't have a long-term road map for the series, etc.

Wallace was the black kid in The Wire. :(

I don't even understand what this thread is about anymore.

Maybe that is the point of The Event.

Latest posts

Back