The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

Baxter said:
I'll be up then anyway. Working graveyard shift can be a *****. Theres NOTHING on at night.

Oh well in that case you can catch Fast/Furious 3 right after The Transporter (for the 73,453,936,404,783rd time) and 4 back to back episodes of That 70's Show season1...

This movie wasn't actually as bad as people make it out to be.

So long as you're willing to stomach Lucas Black's preposterous Alabaman accent and the obnoxious macho posturing from Brian Tee, you'd find that there's actually some kind of a story lying under the hood.

And heck, macho posturing is par for the course in a film about street racing. If you're expecting people to ruminate on the philosophical quandaries that face consumer culture in the 21st century then you're probably retarded or delusional. Maybe both. The film benefits largely from the fact that they don't use Tokyo as JUST some kind of nondescript exotic background for the racing action, but allows it to give some kind of narrative buoyancy.

Because of that, the typical bad boy that Black is required to play has to get accustomed to the fact that being a bad boy is a completely different ball of wax when you're far away from home. Director Justin Lin makes interesting observations about Japanese culture, even if I don't necessarily agree with all of them. It's no surprise that with Lin's take on disaffected Asian youths in Better Luck Tomorrow, he decides not to make any apologies for the complete thrill-seeking amorality of the characters.

I like the little touches, like how Han, an young up and coming criminal businessman played by Sung Kang, is completely indifferent to the macho culture he immerses himself in. While everyone is an adrenalized spectator to the races, Han is constantly munching on junk food with the slouch of a listless teenager watching MTV. Lin also puts a surprising two and a half dimensional interpretation of 'gaijin' --- an outsider --- as not just a marker of being different by virtue of race, but a marker of someone who doesn't belong in the largely conformist social culture of Japan.

Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift might actually have more substance going for it than its predecessors, even if it never truly escapes its B-movie trappings. But I can hardly fault it for that.

For some odd reason, I've been strangley drawn to this film lately. It's been coming on HBO a lot, and I always seem to end up watching it from wherever I pick it up at.

And I can't really figure out why? :?

Like I've seen it at least 4 times this week. And to be honest, despite how cliched and bad it is....I'm always moderately entertained.

I also find it strange that I was rereading this post below like 2-3 weeks ago...and now this film is always on.

This movie wasn't actually as bad as people make it out to be.

So long as you're willing to stomach Lucas Black's preposterous Alabaman accent and the obnoxious macho posturing from Brian Tee, you'd find that there's actually some kind of a story lying under the hood.

And heck, macho posturing is par for the course in a film about street racing. If you're expecting people to ruminate on the philosophical quandaries that face consumer culture in the 21st century then you're probably retarded or delusional. Maybe both. The film benefits largely from the fact that they don't use Tokyo as JUST some kind of nondescript exotic background for the racing action, but allows it to give some kind of narrative buoyancy.

Because of that, the typical bad boy that Black is required to play has to get accustomed to the fact that being a bad boy is a completely different ball of wax when you're far away from home. Director Justin Lin makes interesting observations about Japanese culture, even if I don't necessarily agree with all of them. It's no surprise that with Lin's take on disaffected Asian youths in Better Luck Tomorrow, he decides not to make any apologies for the complete thrill-seeking amorality of the characters.

I like the little touches, like how Han, an young up and coming criminal businessman played by Sung Kang, is completely indifferent to the macho culture he immerses himself in. While everyone is an adrenalized spectator to the races, Han is constantly munching on junk food with the slouch of a listless teenager watching MTV. Lin also puts a surprising two and a half dimensional interpretation of 'gaijin' --- an outsider --- as not just a marker of being different by virtue of race, but a marker of someone who doesn't belong in the largely conformist social culture of Japan.

Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift might actually have more substance going for it than its predecessors, even if it never truly escapes its B-movie trappings. But I can hardly fault it for that.

The most shameful part about all this? Ourchair's right.

For some odd reason, I've been strangley drawn to this film lately. It's been coming on HBO a lot, and I always seem to end up watching it from wherever I pick it up at.

And I can't really figure out why? :?

Like I've seen it at least 4 times this week. And to be honest, despite how cliched and bad it is....I'm always moderately entertained.

I also find it strange that I was rereading this post below like 2-3 weeks ago...and now this film is always on.
I'm like this with a lot of movies

I thought it was a hell of a lot better then 2. Not as good as the first (I was thoroughly entertained by the original), but decent.

Also, sounds like the fourth movie (Yes, they're making Fast and the Furious 4) is going to be a direct sequel to 1, with Paul Walker and Vin Diesel coming back. Should be entertaining.

Last edited:
Ive seen this movie well over 20 times already.
You might think, and my personal interests suggest, this is because there are some smokin` chicks hangin about but in actual fact i find that this movie is rather entertaining.

On top of the fact dere`z chicks everywhere!

Last edited:
cantonese dialect for hot girl. sorry guys i figured you might know what it means. most people do. post edited!

cantonese dialect for hot girl. sorry guys i figured you might know what it means. most people do. post edited!
"Most people" might be appropriate if you were speaking about the Chinese (which is where I initially suspected the word came from) but everyone here is an Anglophone.

Me... I'm Chinese-Filipino and I don't know a lick about Cantonese, Fookien or Mandarin.

That makes me yellow on the outside but brown on the inside... that's not a coconut or banana so what am I?

"Most people" might be appropriate if you were speaking about the Chinese (which is where I initially suspected the word came from) but everyone here is an Anglophone.

Me... I'm Chinese-Filipino and I don't know a lick about Cantonese, Fookien or Mandarin.

That makes me yellow on the outside but brown on the inside... that's not a coconut or banana so what am I?

ah right. see at first when i learned the words "leng lui" i thought like oh ok so nobody other than HK people or those of cantonese ability would really know about it but i found most people around where im living seem to know it. i figured bah! there goes my new ace code word.

a banana split?

A rice krispy treat with chocolate drizzled on it?

"The Yellow Submarine makes a stop in Harlem."

Latest posts

Back