The fifth ultimate ongoing

Guijllons said:
I think magic should be very low key in the UU. Stephen Strange (jnr) isn't very good at what he's doing, and he probably uses all manner of eastern hallucinogens to achieve his goals, this will play a large part in the ambiguity of magic.

This said, something more 'spiritual' or religious is something that could be explored, but this will probably appeal to only a few and I only suggest it because it's something that i have personal interest in.

-The way Strange is set up in the UU, there is the basis for a series. With his father's disappearance and the fact that he doesn't know much at all about what he's doing could easily lend itself to an ongoing title.

-Spiritual and religious? In the Marvel Universe? What, like Nightcrawler becoming a priest? Seriously, what're you thinking about?

Guijllons said:
I think magic should be very low key in the UU. Stephen Strange (jnr) isn't very good at what he's doing, and he probably uses all manner of eastern hallucinogens to achieve his goals, this will play a large part in the ambiguity of magic.
I'm a firm believer that a good mystery should not be ruined by solutions, by having a magic based book we will be forced o examine how it all works, and should this happen we shall undoubtedly find an unsatisfactory solution.

For example, you say a spell, who is the spell to, who made up the words, how is contact made, where did those one is saying the spell to come from.. a whole host of problems arise.

This said, something more 'spiritual' or religious is something that could be explored, but this will probably appeal to only a few and I only suggest it because it's something that i have personal interest in.

I agree Guij, very good points. See, I knew there was a reason I enjoyed your posts other than your sexy typing skills. I think it might be interesting to see an Ultimate Defenders book. I know the team has been made a joke by Millar, but I think this could usefully carry over into an ongoing team book, not only because it would in many ways reinforce your ideas about the "is it really real" aspect of the magic, but it would also be an interesting study of a struggling super-team desperate to gain credibility. Not only could it incorporate the ideas Guij mapped out, but it would be a tongue-in-cheek exploration of this attempt to gain validity, over the course of a bunch of zany adventures.

DIrishB said:
I agree Guij, very good points. See, I knew there was a reason I enjoyed your posts other than your sexy typing skills. I think it might be interesting to see an Ultimate Defenders book. I know the team has been made a joke by Millar, but I think this could usefully carry over into an ongoing team book, not only because it would in many ways reinforce your ideas about the "is it really real" aspect of the magic, but it would also be an interesting study of a struggling super-team desperate to gain credibility. Not only could it incorporate the ideas Guij mapped out, but it would be a tongue-in-cheek exploration of this attempt to gain validity, over the course of a bunch of zany adventures.

As you describe this, it would be an interesting title. It is setting off a bell in the back of my mind, suggesting another title or book but I'm not sure of what that could be. That said, I'm still confused on the "spiritual" and "religious" concepts.

notTHATtodd said:
As you describe this, it would be an interesting title. It is setting off a bell in the back of my mind, suggesting another title or book but I'm not sure of what that could be. That said, I'm still confused on the "spiritual" and "religious" concepts.

I was thinking something along the lines of X-Statix without the worldwide acceptance, licensing deals, and cartoony art.

Ultimate defenders would be a great title. I would rather like it to be a comidy geared book like the current one. So much of the ultimate series is so damn serious. Let's have an innocent non-political comic-book about guys wearing costumes and going out to fight the good fight.

Ultxon said:
Ultimate defenders would be a great title. I would rather like it to be a comidy geared book like the current one. So much of the ultimate series is so damn serious. Let's have an innocent non-political comic-book about guys wearing costumes and going out to fight the good fight.

I agree, but I think having Dr. Strange join and bringing in the "magic" aspect would be interesting, as long as it was approached right and we didn't have them transporting to the Astral Plane and Luke Cage putting the beat down on some Kandarian Demon every issue. The way I'm envisioning it in my mind though, it would be a lot of fun.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Not gonna turn this into a who I want there to be an Ultimate Ongoing of... you all know who.
Yet for some reason you manage to suggest it all the time anyway, even without saying the name. :rolls:

It's like the crazy man with the conspiracy theory who hates the naysayers but manages to use not-so-subtle innuendo to air his own objections.

Goodwill said:
I'd love to see an Ultimate Strange series crop up. Jr. is a character that needs developing, so, why not?

I'd still rather an Ultimate Defenders over just a Strange solo book. I mean he's definitly an interesting character, but not sure he could carry an entire book with just himself and Wong. Plus like I said, the Defenders would bring in that comedy relief and struggle for acceptance. Gotta have that inner conflict stuff to make the characters more interesting. I could see Strange as sort of a mentor to the rest of the Defenders, so maybe after awhile they wouldn't be so silly and would be able to gain that validity.

I don't think there will be a fifth ongoing series but if there were going to be, this would be my guess:

Ultimate Avengers

Let me explain -- with all the traitor stuff going down in the Ultimates, many have predicted that Captain America and co. will break free of SHIELD and officially form the Ultimate Avengers at the conclusion of Millar's run. Those same people have further guessed that volume III of the Ultimates would actually be volume I of Ultimate Avengers.

But if those guesses are correct, I'd rather see the Ultimate Avengers in addition to the Ultimates, rather than in place of it.

The way Millar likes to blur the lines between good and evil, my guess is that if a split takes place between the Ultimates and SHIELD, neither side will clearly come off as 100% right or wrong -- it would depend on your perspective and goals. And Fury and SHIELD are just too important in the Ultimate Universe to ignore, so it would be cool to see the Ultimates regroup after losing their core members and move on by utilizing 'the reserves' introduced in the annual, working with the EU team, and by introducing Ultimate versions of classic Avengers who aren't yet apart of the Ultimates. Maybe throw in some characters that have already been introduced in the UU as well (Captain Marvel, a more completed version of Vision II, Ultron, etc.).

The Ultimate Avengers could be a little more action packed, while the Ultimates could be more political in nature. The two could titles could play off each other a lot as well, portraying how the two entities coexist after the split (you'd imagine a lot of hard feelings and distrust, if not outright conflict, while still being forced to work together from time to time).

That might also make for a smoother transition to the new creative team(s) after Millar and Hitch are done, as the titles would both be sequels of sorts to Ultimates I and II, but also new titles in a way as well.

Last edited:
That all sounds fair enough, but it worries me that it means that the Ultimates (or Avengers) would be becoming more like the regular 616 Avengers, and if I wanted to read that, i would.

Good thoughts though, and welcome.

ProjectX2 said:
I'm sure it's Ultimate Paste Pot Pete and Howard the Duck.
yes, we really need an ultimate howard the duck, he could have a ultimate team-up issue w/ ultimate peter porker.

Latest posts

Back