The First X-Men (August 2012)

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Today, Marvel Comics released a sparse image teasing the release of a new X-Men-related project called "The First X-Men" hitting in August.

Although the information included is understandably sparse, the publisher did reveal more information would be released on Monday at 5 PM EST at Marvel.com.

1336770915.jpg

I think this might be what Bendis is doing.

Ice said:
Today, Marvel Comics released a sparse image teasing the release of a new X-Men-related project called "The First X-Men" hitting in August.

Although the information included is understandably sparse, the publisher did reveal more information would be released on Monday at 5 PM EST at Marvel.com.

What is the point of releasing such limited, useless information like this? Are there any studies that suggest that people actually get hyped for something without knowing anything about it but the title?

I really hate Marvel's marketing department. Everything they do is an insult to our intelligence.

E said:
What is the point of releasing such limited, useless information like this? Are there any studies that suggest that people actually get hyped for something without knowing anything about it but the title?

Of course there are people who get hyped with little info like this. It's what begins speculation of what it could be and what have you.

E said:
I really hate Marvel's marketing department. Everything they do is an insult to our intelligence.
This is going to sound rude, so I apologize in advance because I'm not trying to be, but speak for yourself. I am not insulted in any shape or form. I have no problems with their marketing department and how they've been doing their job either.

If this isn't about Namor leading a group of mutants in the 50s I don;t wanna read it.

With Wolverine.

Of course there are people who get hyped with little info like this. It's what begins speculation of what it could be and what have you.

Really? Off of a title? With no other information?

This is going to sound rude, so I apologize in advance because I'm not trying to be, but speak for yourself. I am not insulted in any shape or form. I have no problems with their marketing department and how they've been doing their job either.

Nah, that's not rude at all. I didn't mean to say that no one could buy the hype into this (where this = absolutely nothing). It's more like...how? Why? What is there to be excited about? They haven't given you anything at all.

To me, history has shown that the amount of information released about a new project by Marvel directly and inversely corresponds to the quality of said project.

Really? Off of a title? With no other information?
The way I see it, it's like the phrase "A picture is worth 1,000 words." It may just be a title, but one person thinks one thing, another person thinks of something else, and the possibility of what might be gets people excited or just interested to see what is coming. Like the Fraction/Aja "Coming Soon" teaser. Just two names and the coming soon words. Granted you had a little more info as to who is involved, but the coming soon didn't really tell you anything, bu that didn't stop people from speculating and getting excited of what the project might be.

Nah, that's not rude at all. I didn't mean to say that no one could buy the hype into this (where this = absolutely nothing). It's more like...how? Why? What is there to be excited about? They haven't given you anything at all.

To me, history has shown that the amount of information released about a new project by Marvel directly and inversely corresponds to the quality of said project.
Like I said, for some people it's just the thought of "what could it be" that excites them. I'm one that where that alone gets me interested and hyped to see what is coming.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here.

The way I see it, it's like the phrase "A picture is worth 1,000 words."

But it's not even a picture. It *might* be a logo, and it *might* be a title.

Like the Fraction/Aja "Coming Soon" teaser

I guess I can see being excited about it if you just love the X-Men so much that you can't get enough of them, but to me, teasing with a subject and teasing actual creators is completely different. Like, not even close. We've seen Fraction/Aja work together in the past and it was pretty brilliant. X-Men has, in the past, been horrible depending on who's doing it. And we don't know who's doing it.

I think I'm just a little ticked that they pull stupid stunts like this and it works for some people. We've seen countless examples of this that turned out to be either crap or completely insignificant. This reeks of a project that is either or both of those, so they have to resort to cheap gimmicks. And if they'd put more effort into putting out material that was not crap or insignificant instead of the cheap gimmicks I think a lot more people would be more happy and they would look better.

So Its basically X-Men: First Class with Wolverine and Sabertooth instead of Xavier and Magneto?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here.
I wasn't getting that impression at all.

But it's not even a picture. It *might* be a logo, and it *might* be a title.
Anything can excite or pique someone's interest.

I guess I can see being excited about it if you just love the X-Men so much that you can't get enough of them, but to me, teasing with a subject and teasing actual creators is completely different. Like, not even close. We've seen Fraction/Aja work together in the past and it was pretty brilliant. X-Men has, in the past, been horrible depending on who's doing it. And we don't know who's doing it.

I think I'm just a little ticked that they pull stupid stunts like this and it works for some people. We've seen countless examples of this that turned out to be either crap or completely insignificant. This reeks of a project that is either or both of those, so they have to resort to cheap gimmicks. And if they'd put more effort into putting out material that was not crap or insignificant instead of the cheap gimmicks I think a lot more people would be more happy and they would look better.
Regardless of what some people feel it turns out to be, the point is that it draws people in. It may not be as effective as other methods, but if it catches people's eye and they'll come back to see what it's all about, then the teaser (in general) did its job. You may not like this method of advertising, and that's fine, but you can't deny that it works, even if you don't like people who "fall for the stupid stunts." We all have our likes and dislike.

As for what this is all about:

ADAMS & GAGE BRING "THE FIRST X-MEN" TO COMICS

""Basically it takes place before the original X-Men and it's a time when mutants are coming [out in the country]," said Gage. "In this context, Wolverine is noticing this going on and says, 'Someone needs to protect these people.'" Wolverine allies with Sabertooth and approach a young Professor X, who is engaged to be married and "wants no part of it." The writer also characterized the book as "The Magnificent Seven," but with X-Men. There will also be some of Magneto killing Nazis."

1337029289.jpg

1337029291.jpg

Last edited:
Regardless of what some people feel it turns out to be, the point is that it draws people in. It may not be as effective as other methods, but if it catches people's eye and they'll come back to see what it's all about, then the teaser (in general) did its job. You may not like this method of advertising, and that's fine, but you can't deny that it works, even if you don't like people who "fall for the stupid stunts." We all have our likes and dislike.

I guess my point in all of this is that if they put some creativity into it they might have an even better response.

Latest posts

Back