The Flash Movie (speculation/discussion)

No.

NPH is pure awesome squeezed into a suit....but he isn't live-action superhero material. At least not off the top of my head for any character I can think of.

And while I liked him in New Frontier....no.

The Flash moving forward?

Hopefully this thing gets moving. It's promising that there has been talk of some DC properties getting off the ground recently.

I'd imagine, given Johns' new role at DC and the other seismic transitions amongst the company that seem to be signaling an aggressive push forward in DC comics as a multimedia operation, that a Flash movie is close to a sure thing.

cool.

I'm not super familiar with the flash, but i feel like he doesn't really have very many rogues that would translate well to the "silver screen"
Gorilla Grodd? Captain Cold? Captain Boomarang? Weather Wizard?

the only one i can think of that would work is Zoom/reverse flash.

cool.

I'm not super familiar with the flash, but i feel like he doesn't really have very many rogues that would translate well to the "silver screen"
Gorilla Grodd? Captain Cold? Captain Boomarang? Weather Wizard?

the only one i can think of that would work is Zoom/reverse flash.

I think the Rogues in general would convert well to the screen better than most villains. They're all blue collar career criminals. That should make them more believable and grounded villains than most. They would likely need costume overhauls but the core group of rogues, I think, would make for great threats on film. Captain Cold, Boomerang, Mirror Master, Heat Wave, Dr. Alchemy, Trickster, Pied Piper, Weather Wizard. I'd suggest possibly shuttling costumes altogether, but then, the costumes a number of them wear are either low key and easily translatable to a slick Hollywood redesign or else seem more like work-wear than garish costumes anyway.

Marc Guggenheim:
When Barry Allen was the character, he was a science policeman," Guggenheim explains, "We're obviously updating that and now he's in forensics and CSI. The tone is sort of darker, and more like 'Seven' and 'Silence of the Lambs' in that mysterious and noir-ish way, which is also working in conjunction with the superhero elements... There's also an element of a sports movie, because the character is so physical and I feel like there is an athleticism to his power that other superheroes don't have.

Can't we just have a movie with Barry Allen smiling while he punches out Captain Cold at Mach 5?

First off, can we put a moratorium on the term "noir"? That **** is so overused.

On one hand, the forensic/detective angle appeals to me. I'm all about superhero films expanding into other genres, and the focus on the Flash's athleticism could bring some cool set pieces to the table.

But I'm sick of "darker" movies. Flash is the last character that needs to be darkened up. He's big and colorful and so is his cast. Along with Spider-Man, he's probably the character that best typifies bombastic, boisterous superhero storytelling. To try to turn that edgy and "noir" (whatever the present producer thinks that term may mean) is antithetical.

Oh, ******* it, I can't stand this nonsensical hype. "It's a noir crime thriller sports superhero movie."

When people talk about their stories by mentioning half a dozen genres it generally means they have no idea what their story is about. In this case, Guggenheim mentions at least five genres; Procedural Forensics (CSI), Film Noir, Psychological Thriller (SEVEN, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS), Sports, and Superhero. It's just vacuous hyperbole.

Hopefully this is Guggenheim's "pitch" and not indicative of the quality of THE FLASH, which could be entertaining.

Last edited:
First off, can we put a moratorium on the term "noir"? That **** is so overused.

On one hand, the forensic/detective angle appeals to me. I'm all about superhero films expanding into other genres, and the focus on the Flash's athleticism could bring some cool set pieces to the table.

But I'm sick of "darker" movies. Flash is the last character that needs to be darkened up. He's big and colorful and so is his cast. Along with Spider-Man, he's probably the character that best typifies bombastic, boisterous superhero storytelling. To try to turn that edgy and "noir" (whatever the present producer thinks that term may mean) is antithetical.

Agree, Flash should be the hero you have fun with and not try to be super serious and dark.

Oh, ******* it, I can't stand this nonsensical hype. "It's a noir crime thriller sports superhero movie."

When people talk about their stories by mentioning half a dozen genres it generally means they have no idea what their story is about. In this case, Guggenheim mentions at least five genres; Procedural Forensics (CSI), Film Noir, Psychological Thriller (SEVEN, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS), Sports, and Superhero. It's just vacuous hyperbole.

Hopefully this is Guggenheim's "pitch" and not indicative of the quality of THE FLASH, which could be entertaining.

Well, technically, I wouldn't call superhero or film noir "genres".

Latest posts

Back