The future of the Inhumans

E

Excelsior Club
I was intregued by a recent report that suggested that since Marvel didn't hold the movie rights to X-Men that they would be developing the Inhumans as a sort of replacement in that movie universe.

The recent events surrounding Infinity seem to suggest they are trying to prop up the Inhumans in the 616 as well. Infinity was kind of a mess, but the end goal seemed to be to boost the visibility and importance of the Inhumans. The resulting Inhumanity one-shot seems to support that and further that idea. If you didn't read it:
the idea is that there are Inhumans who don't even know they are Inhumans due to some split in the kingdom ages ago and due to Black Bolt's release of the Terrigan Mists they suddenly transform.

I kind of like the idea; I've always liked the Inhuman characters and backstory and I'd be interested to see if marvel can use them in a similar role to the X-Men without falling into the same problems that the X-Men have as characters and storylines.

Has Marvel announced or hinted at potential changes or extra exposure or integration for the Inhumans?

There's been talk of an Inhumans movie for years, but given the movies already in the pipeline, I doubt it's an immediate priority. I could see them using the success of Guardians of the Galaxy as a barometer and possible launching point for an Inhumans franchise though.

And I kind of liked Infinity... I think it's the best event they've put out since they started doing events again.

Last edited:
There's been talk of an Inhumans movie for years, but given the movies already in the pipeline, I doubt it's an immediate priority. I could see them using the success of Guardians of the Galaxy as a barometer and possible launching point for an Inhumans franchise though. And I kind of liked Infinity... I think it's the best event they've put out since they started doing events again.

Actually the Inhumans films is all but a certainty at this point, it just hasn't been announced. I'd expect it's planned as one of the unannounced films in 2016 or 2017, but probably 2017 to give Marvel an opportunity to gauge its likelihood of success based on how well Guardians of the Galaxy does. While Inhumans will likely be a decidedly different film tonally, it'll still be cosmically based, at least in part.

And E's right, Marvel is planning on using the Inhumans films as a sort of replacement for X-Men, since Fox holds those rights for the foreseeable future. I'm sure it's also part of the reason for the big push for the Inhumans in the comics, as a way of paving the road for comic fans before announcing the film.

And I kind of liked Infinity... I think it's the best event they've put out since they started doing events again.

I didn't hate it, and as far as the quality of the writing goes it was MUCH better than most of the recent event books. It just seemed like a lot of confusing things happening for such a small payoff.

Latest posts

Back