The Global Myth Of Arak

HumanHost

There aren't too many comics that were created by three different married couples but DC's Arak Son Of Thunder was one of them, maybe even the only one to bear this distinction.

Needless to say, this title was one of the most interesting and ambitious comics of the 80's. Along with its romantically linked creative collaborators, there are many other things that make this series extraordinary. The website Splice Today recently published a three part overview of Arak and you can find links for the articles in the series here :

https://mikeaapichell.wordpress.com/2021/07/05/the-global-myth-of-arak/

So what is your overall opinion of Arak? It's one of my all time fave series for sure, but it hardly gets any big accolades which is a shame cuz imho this was really high point in the careers of fan faves Roy Thomas and Tony DeZuniga

I just checked my "many" comic boxes. I have the 1st issue of Arak but I don't think I carried on collecting it. I don't recall much about Arak other than it reminded me of Turok which was a long running title about a native American but in a "Lost World" environment with dinosaurs.

Now you have me interested in seeing Arak as an Omnibus!

I used to have Arion which was another unique title but ended up trading that back to my LCS for credit to buy other books. Sometimes I regret selling off or trading some titles I used to own.

Currently I collect only hardcover collections now in Omnibus or MMW formats sometimes Absolutes or Library Editions.

I just checked my "many" comic boxes. I have the 1st issue of Arak but I don't think I carried on collecting it. I don't recall much about Arak other than it reminded me of Turok which was a long running title about a native American but in a "Lost World" environment with dinosaurs.

Now you have me interested in seeing Arak as an Omnibus!

I used to have Arion which was another unique title but ended up trading that back to my LCS for credit to buy other books. Sometimes I regret selling off or trading some titles I used to own.

Currently I collect only hardcover collections now in Omnibus or MMW formats sometimes Absolutes or Library Editions.
Arion was certainly a contemporary of Arak's tho neither of them ever co-starred in each others books.

imho, there has yet to be a reprint book collecting Arak comics because at the moment they aren't too rare, and because there has not been any Arak tv show or movie selling out theaters and blowin up via streaming services and such (yet).

As far Turok comparisons go, those aren't quite accurate. Arak's world occasionally has dinosaurs and primitive humanoids, but those elements don't appear constantly in every issue of Arak (and not even in a majority of the issues) as they do in Turok. The supporting characters and villains of Arak are for more diverse than those who appear in Turok

Latest posts

Back