The HOBBIT! news/discussion

Ultimate MJ said:
The elves in the Hobbit are way better than in LOTR. Like, evil and tryannical. Sort of.
And drunk off their asses.

Victor Von Doom said:
That was a million dollar shot. Stupid bird......Smaug would still be running thangs if that bird hadn't said anything. And that damn archer.....I mean he was on some Ultimate Hawkeye stuff there. No one else would've made that shot.
With his trusty black arrow that never fails

I forgot about that battle Gnadalf had, since it was greatly described in the book. That would be awesome to have on screen a pose of wizards fighting the Witchking (Ithink thats what happened). I'd like to see the Battle of 5 armies

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
No he rescues (just in time for him to die) one of the original dwarves who possessed a ring of power. This is when Sauron is referred to as the Necromancer.

Pretty sure Radagast the Brown was there for that.

And the Battle of the 5 Armies is gonna be SIIICKKKK!!!!

I need to go reread the Hobbit. But first I need to get it (and all my back issues) from my old roommates parents house. The jerk wont call me back though :(

Many readers blow this account off because it's not directly spoken of. I found it interesting and delved into it with my somewhat modestly large Tolkien resources. I don't remember Radagast being there and off the tip Wikipedia mentions nothing of him either...

Wikipedia Entry of Dol Guldur said:
In 2845 Thráin II, King of Durin's folk in exile and holder of the last of the Seven Rings of the Dwarves, was imprisoned in Dol Guldur's dungeons. In 2850 Gandalf again entered Dol Guldur, finding the dying Thráin, and Gandalf was entrusted with the map and key to give to Thorin Oakenshield, although Thráin could not tell him his own or his son's name before he died. Gandalf confirmed Sauron was the master of Dol Guldur at that time.

MaxwellSmart said:
Smaug is the king of bling in Middle Earth.
Damn straight yo, that fool be using mithril vests as toilet paper biotch, the most ballin **** ever!

Last edited:
Victor Von Doom said:
I got one word for you all:

SMAUG.

The most ****-talkin'est dragon ever! :rockon:

Hell. Yes.

Anyways, I'm really excited about this. I've always enjoyed The Hobbit (or There and Back Again) much more than LotR.

WEll, I'll be interested, but I'll probably view this in the comfort of my home

And it should be only oe movie, making it two would stretch it too much

I think what I always liked about The Hobbit was that it was always much more of a story than the LOTR. The LOTR is so epic that it's hard to get lost in the fantasy.

Has anyone ever read the comic adaptation that they did a few years back? It was basically Tolkien's writing with nice illustrations, but still worth a look.

I love how the book ends with kicking back to relax and enjoy smoking weed.

ultimatedjf said:
Has anyone ever read the comic adaptation that they did a few years back? It was basically Tolkien's writing with nice illustrations, but still worth a look.

I love how the book ends with kicking back to relax and enjoy smoking weed.

I've read the book and the graphic novel.

Things to look forward to in this movie:

• Smaug
  • Mirkwood
  • Necromancer
  • Gandalf the Grey
  • Dwarves
  • Smaug
  • Goblin King of Moria
  • Smaug
  • Wolves/Wargs
  • Trolls from LOTR will tie-in

W...........T.............F? :x :? :furious:

Jackson Out

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Peter Jackson says he will not be directing a movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien's novel "The Hobbit" or a planned prequel to "The Lord of the Rings."

In a letter posted Tuesday on Theonering.com., Jackson and partner Fran Walsh said an executive from New Line Cinema had called to tell them the studio was moving ahead with "The Hobbit" without him.

"Last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken (Kamins, Jackson's manager) and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on `The Hobbit' and the LOTR `prequel,'" the 45-year-old New Zealand director wrote.

"This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects," he said.

A New York-based representative for New Line Cinema wasn't immediately available Tuesday for comment.

New Line Cinema holds the rights to produce "The Hobbit" and Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer has the rights to distribute it.

Jackson, who shepherded Tolkien's Middle-earth saga to the screen in a series of three films, won a best-director Oscar for 2003's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." The trilogy also includes 2002's "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" and 2001's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring."

A spokesman for Wingnut Films, Jackson's production company in Wellington, who spoke on his standard condition that he not be named, confirmed Tuesday the letter was genuine.

The announcement came amid an ongoing dispute between Wingnut Films and New Line Cinema over the amount Jackson was paid for "The Fellowship of the Ring," including DVD payments.

While Jackson hasn't said how much he believes he was underpaid, The New York Times last year quoted his lawyers as saying it was as much as $100 million. He is suing New Line Cinema over the shortfall.

The Dominion Post newspaper quoted Jackson as saying that because he and Walsh didn't want to discuss upcoming movies "until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director."

"We are very sorry our involvement with `The Hobbit' has ended this way," the pair added.

Plans for Jackson to make a $128 million movie version of the sci-fi video game "Halo" were also scrapped this month after backers 20th Century Fox and Universal Pictures pulled out.

Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion at box offices worldwide.

I've read the book and the graphic novel.

Things to look forward to in this movie:

• Smaug
  • Mirkwood
  • Necromancer
  • Gandalf the Grey
  • Dwarves
  • Smaug
  • Goblin King of Moria
  • Smaug
  • Wolves/Wargs
  • Trolls from LOTR will tie-in

You forgot Smaug. :wink:

W...........T.............F? :x :? :furious:

Double Yoo Tee Eff indeed. So much for this movie.

Last edited:
It won't happen without Jackson.

What they'll do is offer him back the LotR projects with a reduced settlement, and as fans, we can hope he takes it, otherwise I don't think we'll be seeing this movie anytime soon. If ever. Its a ***** move for New Line to pull, regardless of how much Jackson is demanding.

At the same time, though, I have to say that in the end its probably for the best.

What if after LotR, he came back and just put together a really ****ty The Hobbit? At least now we can retain our respect for the director, and if we get a half-assed movie, it won't tarnish the trilogy.

I thought he was never going to direct The Hobbit anyway?

So now that Halo and Hobbit are out (for the meantime), what's he going to do?

From IMDB

As Lord of the Rings fans mounted a protest following word that New Line had dropped Peter Jackson from consideration as director of The Hobbit and another Lord of the Rings prequel, producer Saul Zaentz has given assurances that Jackson will indeed direct the two films. A German website, Elbenwald.de, posted an interview with Zaentz, who acquired the rights to the works of the late Rings writer, J.R.R. Tolkien, in 1976 (the Saul Zaentz Company owns Tolkien Enterprises), in which Zaentz says, "It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. ... Next year The Hobbit rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the Rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us, in contrast, he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation." (The preceding quotation is a translation that appeared on TheHobbit-Movie.com from the German interview posted on Elbenwald.de.)

Woot!

I thought he was never going to direct The Hobbit anyway?

So now that Halo and Hobbit are out (for the meantime), what's he going to do?
Wait, I didn't about him directing the Halo movie. He's doing the game Halo Wars.

[Vader]NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo.....[/vader]

I'm in MwoF
Hehehe...you're in him. :p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back