The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
[video=youtube;OsKRzJkDiyg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsKRzJkDiyg&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

"That, my lad... was a dragon."

I know I'll see this, but that trailer didn't make me excited about it at all. That probably has a lot to do with the somewhat disappointing first film. They really should have made it into only 2 films.

And is it just me or does some of the CGI look really dodgy?

Well, the albino orc guy looks like he's made out of plasticine. But the movies not coming out for another six months. I'm sure there's still post-production work being done.

The Hobbit movies look artificial and fake compared to the Lord of the Rings movies and it annoys the hell out of me. Ten years later and they look worse!

Huh, no discussion about this?

I saw it tonight and I liked it more than the first one. Smaug was cool and I really liked the way they filled in the story about the necromancer/Sauron. I mostly didn't mind the added story and action. It was cool to see Legolas again, and I liked Tauriel right up until she
and Kili started flirting.
That was dumb. Overall, though, I really liked it.

EDIT: oh, and Martin Freeman is incredible. He's such a great actor.

Last edited:
I hated this movie. I can't articulate why very well, but I felt the 48 GPS made special effects cheesy. And it had almost no narrative structure.

Huh, no discussion about this? I saw it tonight and I liked it more than the first one. Smaug was cool and I really liked the way they filled in the story about the necromancer/Sauron. I mostly didn't mind the added story and action. It was cool to see Legolas again, and I liked Tauriel right up until she * SPOILER * That was dumb. Overall, though, I really liked it. EDIT: oh, and Martin Freeman is incredible. He's such a great actor.
I saw it too but the ending was such a cliff hanger. Seeing Legolas and Sauron was cool but they were one of the few references to the LOTR and the fact that Peter Jackson spent time on putting these references in wasn't mentioned in the book but made the movie better. The dragon Smaug was excellent. SPOILlER - it's too bad that in the end Thorin is killed by an ork.

I hated this movie. I can't articulate why very well, but I felt the 48 GPS made special effects cheesy. And it had almost no narrative structure.

I didn't see it in high frame rate. I hated it when I saw the first one. And yeah, it's pretty light on plot.

I saw this yesterday and was thoroughly entertained and yet pissed off.

Cumberbatch as Smaug was excellent! One of the best memorable "villain voices" since DKR Bane.

Seeing Legolas again was cool...especially since his return was introduced with him riding a down a killed beast like those giant elephant in ROTK. But then by the 4th time he did it I was over it.

Now my only prior knowledge of the Hobbit story comes from the old animated movie, so I can't say what's missing from the true story....but Jackson ending it like that and now having to wait another year for a 3hr movie? Ugh...

I got the extended edition of this for my birthday last month and I finally got around to watching it this week. The first Hobbit extended edition mostly just had more songs but this one had a whole subplot about what happened to Thorin's father and the seventh dwarf ring of power. It was interesting. I'm pumped to see where that thread goes next year when they release the extended edition of Five Armies, especially because they made a point of talking about the three elf rings in the theatrical cut.

I got the extended edition of this for my birthday last month and I finally got around to watching it this week. The first Hobbit extended edition mostly just had more songs but this one had a whole subplot about what happened to Thorin's father and the seventh dwarf ring of power. It was interesting. I'm pumped to see where that thread goes next year when they release the extended edition of Five Armies, especially because they made a point of talking about the three elf rings in the theatrical cut.

I own all the Extended Editions of the LotR trilogy, and next year when they release the Extended edition of the final Hobbit film I'll pick up the Hobbit trilogy extended editions, sit down, and do a 21 hour marathon (more or less, depends on how long the extended edition of Battle of the Five Armies is) of all six films...

...and then I'll wish they had the rights to do a film trilogy based on the Silmarillion so I could watch extended versions of those. ;)

I own all the Extended Editions of the LotR trilogy, and next year when they release the Extended edition of the final Hobbit film I'll pick up the Hobbit trilogy extended editions, sit down, and do a 21 hour marathon (more or less, depends on how long the extended edition of Battle of the Five Armies is) of all six films...

...and then I'll wish they had the rights to do a film trilogy based on the Silmarillion so I could watch extended versions of those. ;)

Yeah, I'm reading the Silmarillion right now. It would be interesting to see how they adapted it. It's not a novel like the others are, it's sort of like if the Old Testament in the King James Bible was about Elves. But IF they ever get the rights to Silmarillion, I'm hoping they get Unfinished Tales and Children of Hurin too so they can pull from all of them.

Yeah, I'm reading the Silmarillion right now. It would be interesting to see how they adapted it. It's not a novel like the others are, it's sort of like if the Old Testament in the King James Bible was about Elves. But IF they ever get the rights to Silmarillion, I'm hoping they get Unfinished Tales and Children of Hurin too so they can pull from all of them.

Good point, forgot about those. Tolkein's son has flatly refused to sell off the rights to the other books (Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc), but maybe after the success of the previous six films the studio will make him an offer he can't refuse.

Latest posts

Back