The Hobbit

I know. One time I tried to tell people that it was years between the eleventy-first party and Gandalf's return. They didn't believe me.

I remember having a pretty verbose argument that was me versus 4 of my friends, all fans of the book, who swore blue that there was very little time in between the parties and the leaving of the Shire, and I was the only one who was sure there were 17 bloody years between the two.

They didn't even remember Fatty Bolger. Fools.

Anyway, I'm glad Jacksons got some involvement in it, as it makes it more likely that the necessary cast will return. Don't mind another director, but I hope it's not Raimi like someone mentioned earlier.

Sounds good, and I do hope that the rest of the cast will return, but . . . why two films? I mean, I understand why they're making two films - to make more money - but from a storytelling aspect, how will it work? I haven't read the book in years, but it is one book for a reason, I'm sure. Are they really going to halve the story like that just to make a buck?

And seriously, if any of these movies are over three hours long, I will be mightily displeased. I mean, just how far can one story be stretched?

Apparently one film will be an adaptation of the Hobbit, and the second film will sort of bridge the gap between Hobbit and LOTR, with stories from the LOTR appendices and such.

Apparently one film will be an adaptation of the Hobbit, and the second film will sort of bridge the gap between Hobbit and LOTR, with stories from the LOTR appendices and such.

I never heard that.
Sounds good, and I do hope that the rest of the cast will return, but . . . why two films? I mean, I understand why they're making two films - to make more money - but from a storytelling aspect, how will it work? I haven't read the book in years, but it is one book for a reason, I'm sure. Are they really going to halve the story like that just to make a buck?

And seriously, if any of these movies are over three hours long, I will be mightily displeased. I mean, just how far can one story be stretched?
I think it could definitely go into two movies, two hours each. Definitely enough material, I just wouldn't know what to do for the climax of the first film

Last edited:
POTD.

Remember just last week when Golden Compass tanked and I said that the only good thing that can come of this is that New Line will now hurry up and make nice with Peter Jackson? Looks like I was right. :)
LOL, I was just about to point out how right you were. :p

I could see that.

Del Toro's been hitting the mythological creature stuff pretty hard. I have no doubt that he'd do well with bringing The Hobbit and Super-**** Talking Smaug to life.

It'd just be nice to see Jackson do the whole thing.

Jeez.... why can't Peter Jackson just do it?:?

Guillermo Del Toro would be a good second choice though, assuming he doesn't spend 80% of the movie focusing on the politics of the University where Tolkien taught English.

And that's my classic Planet-man opinion for today.

Because Him and New Line Cinema are not getting along, and you need to have a good working environment
Didn't New Line resolve Jackson's quarrel with them?

I seriously doubt that if they are 'not getting along' that they'd let Jackson be executive producer of this film, as they'd still need to work together. Not to mention being executive producer means he has creative say over where the hundreds of millions of dollars they put into the movie is going.

That's hardly a job you want to give to someone whose previous beef with you was suing you for refusing to accept an audit on film profits unless you've really REALLY resolved the matter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back