The home improvement thread (not "Home Improvement")

I always go with 3 (except with reds---they always need a lot of coats to cover the streak look).

I hope it doesn't come to that.

Her room has always been a little colder than some of the others, and after I took the trim off I noticed a definite draft. That part of her room hangs over (extends past the basement) and we think there might be little insulation in there. In that corner of the room, there are strange streaks that look like we totally forgot to paint in that area.

So a few days ago I used drywall mud to smooth out some areas on a wall in the master bedroom. I let it dry for a couple days, put a coat of primer on it, and let it dry.

I put another primer coat on just to be safe, and the next day there were small bubbles in the paint. I touched them, saw they were air bubbles, and popped them open. All of the paint peeled right off.

Turns out the sewer vent is right behind that area in the wall and is not insulated. So it looks like it was cool, prevented the drywall mud from drying completely, and screwed everything up.

Long story short, I've got to cut a huge hole in the wall and insulate that pipe.

This sets things back a good week (maybe two). I don't have time for this.

Today I hung up blinds. Then I made a water pipe for smoking tobacco and ONLY tobacco, for my coffee table. I'm so proud of myself.

Last edited:
And that's all.

:lol:

Gotta agree with E. You, my friend, need to man up---buy some tools and build something that weights almost as much as you. Or fix something around the house/apartment that will better it value.

Real men :heart: Black/Decker.

Today I put the first coat on the living room/stairway/upstairs hallway. It's a nice light brownish color. It looks good. I'll probably put the 2nd coat up Thursday or Friday.

After that and after we get the trim up we'll just have the kitchen/dining room to go.

Today I put the first coat on the living room/stairway/upstairs hallway. It's a nice light brownish color. It looks good. I'll probably put the 2nd coat up Thursday or Friday.

After that and after we get the trim up we'll just have the kitchen/dining room to go.

cool dude

I painted my little nieces bedroom not long ago but almost passed out from fumes. I would of opened window but when I tried a big spider kept trying to get in. I hate spiders.

nasty little bastards

I start work next week so I'm trying to kick the home improvement into overdrive. We started the dining room/kitchen - the last room - Sunday.

We bought this place almost 2 years ago and they had just freshly painted and put down new carpet, and updated the bathroom. But they didn't do anything to the kitchen except paint the walls white...the left the mid-1970s cabinetry and flooring.

I ripped a couple of the cabinets out and the entire floor...the floor smelled so terrible I was starting to get sick. I'm trying to let it air out but it smells terrible...just like old linoleum flooring. There was an old mid-1970s yellow speckled linoleum floor down, then it looks like a few years later they just glued some faux-wood linoleum tiles on top of that. NO subfloor under the linoleum, so it was all lumpy.

The biggest thing was building a doorway from the dining room to the basement - before, it was just open. The basement is unfinished, so this will look nicer.

Hopefully I can get the cabinets out today so we can mud the walls and paint.

Does general house cleaning count as 'home improvement'?

I've just taken to cleaning out my room and god, you never get a sense of how much dumb **** you own until you clean your room. I've already thrown out 2 deluxe sized garbage bags worth of crap I'll never use or never be able to sell.

However, I do get some kind of perverse thrill from getting my hands all dusty and then after an hour or two of cleaning it's fun to watch the gray dirty water flow from your hands as you wash them in the sink.

Does general house cleaning count as 'home improvement'?

I've just taken to cleaning out my room and god, you never get a sense of how much dumb **** you own until you clean your room. I've already thrown out 2 deluxe sized garbage bags worth of crap I'll never use or never be able to sell.

I do this every year. I live uncluttered.

However, I do get some kind of perverse thrill from getting my hands all dusty and then after an hour or two of cleaning it's fun to watch the gray dirty water flow from your hands as you wash them in the sink.

Now, see, your simply trying too hard to freak us out

We bought a bunch of cabinets today as well as the tile for the kitchen, and we are already over budget. Not a good thing when you have no income.

We still have a door to buy and the luon (sp?) for the floor.

Latest posts

Back