The Human Centipede.

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
The Human Centipede (Wikipedia entry)

Heard about this movie on a skit from Tosh.0 and decided the grotesque and insane nature of the plot sounded like a movie I should see. I wish I'd decided otherwise as this film left a permanent stain on my soul.

Seriously one of the more disturbing things I've ever seen, and at the same time impressive in terms of the direction (most notably in the ability of building suspense without resorting to well known horror movie cliches).

It seems like it's just gross torture p-o-r-n. That's why I never had the desire to see it. I could probably stomach it, but I just don't see the point of making a movie like that other than to shock people and create a huge cult following.

Last edited:
ACK! I have to hear my friends joking about this place all the time! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BRING THIS FILTH HERE, DiB?

(But on the topic of ****ed up movies, have you seen Gummo?)

Last edited:
It seems like it's just gross torture p-o-r-n. That's why I never had the desire to see it. I could probably stomach it, but I just don't see the point of making a movie like that other than to shock people and create a huge cult following.

It basically is just torture ****, but given the grotesque nature of the final outcome, I've never rooted for a character to escape more so than this movie. Not because I care about the characters (they're all one-dimensional cliches), but because I just didn't want to see them become the "centipede".

There really is a debasement of humanity to such a degree in this movie that even Hostel/Saw/etc couldn't achieve (not that thats a good thing, just worth mentioning).

And the Dr. character is just freaking creepy.

ACK! I have to hear my friends joking about this place all the time! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BRING THIS FILTH HERE, DiB?

(But on the topic of ****ed up movies, have you seen Gummo?)

I've seen Gummo, but that movie was nowhere near as disturbing as this one. Basically, it comes down to this:

Crazy German scientist surgically connecting people ass to mouth > Weird Rednecks killing cats

With the ">" measuring the level of sickness, depravity, and complete lack of humanity in any sense.

I watched it a few months back.

See, most people probably go into it thinking that it's going to just be another new low for - as Langsta said - "torture ****", which is really a kind of a silly term made up for a lot of modern ultraviolent horror movies that aren't that much different than the exploitation movies from 30 years ago, just with bigger audiences and bigger budgets. But putting "The Human Centipede" alongside those movies is almost kind of an insult to it. I won't argue it to be a grand artistic achievement or anything and I certainly doubt that the guy who made it intended it to be, but it's actually one of the most purely, astonishingly nihilistic movies I've ever seen. Most of the "torture ****" films and franchises at least come with some point, maybe even more strongly pushed messages than the average movie. It's a cautionary warning or faintly philosophical argument, it can be quite stupid (see the "Saw" franchise) but some sense of meaning is usually present. "The Human Centipede" doesn't really seem to have a point. You watch 90 minutes or so of unimaginably horrific scenes and then it ends. No one seems to learn anything or gain any deeper understanding of anything, not the character(s) or the audience. There's no happiness or sadness or love or humanity to it. It's not even exploitation: there's nothing erotic about it for the vast majority of people (hopefully), the violence is surprisingly minimal, and most of the disgustingness is implied or just inherent to the idea. It's nothing for nothing's sake. When Roger Ebert reviewed it he didn't rate it, and basically said that it was one of the few times in his career that he's come across a movie that can't be rated, can't be called "good" or "bad", which you can't tell anyone whether they should or shouldn't see. The only reason to see it is to say that you've seen it, that you've gazed into the abyss or something. It's interesting to see and think about but I have no desire to ever watch it again.

And that's all the serious analysis I can muster about the movie where people have their mouths sewn to other people's *******s.

How about the part where the Japanese guy poops for the first time? "I'm so sorry!" lolololololol

EDIT: torture asteriskasteriskasteriskasterisk

Last edited:
I give this movie credit. It was a giant train wreck you couldn't turn off. The only horror movie that really made my insides turn. And, as said, there's no point to it. Just that there's an insane evil in the world and any cliche, innocent bystander can fall victim to it. And all these rumors about the sequels... I mean 12 segments? I'm sure it won't just be the
ass to mouth
but a lot of other assorted weird attachments.

Last edited:
This movie was better than it had any right to be, and the scene where the doctor explains the procedure is truly creepy.

Exactly. I honestly expected it to be crap (which in certain perceptions it could still be considered as such), but was surprised at how well crafted it was.

"Werner Herzog praised the film and spoke of being especially moved by the bacon taped to the wall during the bathtub scene."

We'd all be stupid without Wikipedia.

I watched it a few months back.

See, most people probably go into it thinking that it's going to just be another new low for - as Langsta said - "torture ****", which is really a kind of a silly term made up for a lot of modern ultraviolent horror movies that aren't that much different than the exploitation movies from 30 years ago, just with bigger audiences and bigger budgets. But putting "The Human Centipede" alongside those movies is almost kind of an insult to it. I won't argue it to be a grand artistic achievement or anything and I certainly doubt that the guy who made it intended it to be, but it's actually one of the most purely, astonishingly nihilistic movies I've ever seen. Most of the "torture ****" films and franchises at least come with some point, maybe even more strongly pushed messages than the average movie. It's a cautionary warning or faintly philosophical argument, it can be quite stupid (see the "Saw" franchise) but some sense of meaning is usually present. "The Human Centipede" doesn't really seem to have a point. You watch 90 minutes or so of unimaginably horrific scenes and then it ends. No one seems to learn anything or gain any deeper understanding of anything, not the character(s) or the audience. There's no happiness or sadness or love or humanity to it. It's not even exploitation: there's nothing erotic about it for the vast majority of people (hopefully), the violence is surprisingly minimal, and most of the disgustingness is implied or just inherent to the idea. It's nothing for nothing's sake. When Roger Ebert reviewed it he didn't rate it, and basically said that it was one of the few times in his career that he's come across a movie that can't be rated, can't be called "good" or "bad", which you can't tell anyone whether they should or shouldn't see. The only reason to see it is to say that you've seen it, that you've gazed into the abyss or something. It's interesting to see and think about but I have no desire to ever watch it again.

And that's all the serious analysis I can muster about the movie where people have their mouths sewn to other people's *******s.

Beautiful.

How about the part where the Japanese guy poops for the first time? "I'm so sorry!" lolololololol

EDIT: torture asteriskasteriskasteriskasterisk

Two Girls, One Japanese Guy, and No Cup

I love the Saw movies.

I still love the first one. The way it end with the Jigsaw guy revealing himself as the body on the floor was very well done. The sequels are terrible, since they're just extremely pale re-hashes of the first. But yeah, the first one is still a fun flick to watch.

I give this movie credit. It was a giant train wreck you couldn't turn off. The only horror movie that really made my insides turn. And, as said, there's no point to it. Just that there's an insane evil in the world and any cliche, innocent bystander can fall victim to it. And all these rumors about the sequels... I mean 12 segments? I'm sure it won't just be the
ass to mouth
but a lot of other assorted weird attachments.

Well, at least the people into Golden Showers, foot fetishes, and fisting will have something to look forward to.

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it yet.

Latest posts

Back