The Incredible Hulk Discussion Thread--SPOILERS!!

How would you rate Letterier's "The Incredible Hulk"?

• Total voters
Newsarama:

Speaking of The Incredible Hulk, who do you think should be the villain in the sequel? If, y'know, there is a sequel. There are three potential candidates set up in the current film, but director Louis Leterrier thinks the decision should be left to fans: "I think that if we get to Hulk 2 I would go to Comic-Con and ask the crowd of people that actually love the movies, which one would you prefer to see, Samson or the Leader?"

Samson?

I know I would want to see The Leader.

Doc Samson is a psychiatrist who became gamma-irradiated somehow. Betty's boyfriend in this movie is supposedly him.
Not supposedly- he is credited as Doc Samson, and was confirmed (forgot where) sometime back that he was the one talking to Bruce in the trailer.

* CGI: Sometimes piss-poor, sometimes brain-meltingly brilliant.

* Liv Tyler & William Hurt < Jennifer Connelly & Sam Elliott

* Music from Ang Lee movie > Music from new movie

Overall, I liked it, but like Iron Man it lacked the right amount of emotional punch and a Hulk movie should be almost entirely based on emotional punch. Take the ending for example. Where was Banner walking into the distance, with 'The Lonely Man' playing and a melancholy smile on the good doctor's lips? Instead we get Tony Stark shoved in to make fanboys cream themselves and Bruce turning into the Hulk again, for no reason.

Ugh.

Anyway, the action was great, Norton was fab and I can't wait to see the ton of deleted scenes on the DVD. 7.5/10

I likedHurt better and i found the music in this one better than Lee's.

Last edited:
* CGI: Sometimes piss-poor, sometimes brain-meltingly brilliant.

Overall, I liked it, but like Iron Man it lacked the right amount of emotional punch and a Hulk movie should be almost entirely based on emotional punch. Take the ending for example. Where was Banner walking into the distance, with 'The Lonely Man' playing and a melancholy smile on the good doctor's lips? Instead we get Tony Stark shoved in to make fanboys cream themselves and Bruce turning into the Hulk again, for no reason.

Ugh.

Anyway, the action was great, Norton was fab and I can't wait to see the ton of deleted scenes on the DVD. 7.5/10

Music was better in the new one. I mean it had the slow walking away song from the TV show. And William Hurt> Sam Elliot.

Music was better in the new one. I mean it had the slow walking away song from the TV show. And William Hurt> Sam Elliot.

The use of 'The Lonely Man' was pathetic. They used a bit of it once!!

Why didn't they use it at the end like they promised FOR MONTHS?!

Also, the main themes were really generic and sounded like they were from a videogame. Danny Elfman's music in the last one was really, well...angry.

And that's another thing. In the last one, when BanaBanner was describing how it felt to be the Hulk, it was really fantastic and probably the best thing about that movie. He made it out to be the guiltiest of all pleasures and you really WANTED to be the Hulk. In this one, NortonBanner doesn't pull that off at all and his description of it just being "flashes and sounds" is practically exposition. Also, the Hulkification scenes in the last one were far more powerful and epic. In this one, they just make him look like he's in pain.

I actually think the new version of Lonely Man isn't all that. And I'm not even a fan of the original version.

I actually think the new version of Lonely Man isn't all that. And I'm not even a fan of the original version.

I didn't really notice much of a difference. BECAUSE THEY ONLY PLAYED A BIT OF IT, ONCE!!! :furious:

I would have gladly given up Tony Stark, all the references to Stark Industries and the Super-Soldier serum for the full version of 'The Lonely Man' to be played at the end of the movie.

Last edited:
The use of 'The Lonely Man' was pathetic. They used a bit of it once!!

Why didn't they use it at the end like they promised FOR MONTHS?!

Also, the main themes were really generic and sounded like they were from a videogame. Danny Elfman's music in the last one was really, well...angry.

And that's another thing. In the last one, when BanaBanner was describing how it felt to be the Hulk, it was really fantastic and probably the best thing about that movie. He made it out to be the guiltiest of all pleasures and you really WANTED to be the Hulk. In this one, NortonBanner doesn't pull that off at all and his description of it just being "flashes and sounds" is practically exposition. Also, the Hulkification scenes in the last one were far more powerful and epic. In this one, they just make him look like he's in pain.

Because Norton Banner doesn't like being the Hulk(same with the comicbook version).

Banner hates it and so Norton did a far better job then Bana. Nortons version is more in tune with the comics
Because Banner hates the Hulk and Hulk hates Banner.

and the flashes and sounds holds true too since he really doesn't really remeber much about what he does in Hulk form again much like the comics.

Norton played Bruce Banner as it's ment to be.

Last edited:
Then why are you complaining that he didn't remeber?

Okay...you've completely misunderstood what I said.

In the Ang Lee movie, Bruce Banner describes his experience as the Hulk as something akin to a very hazy dream, filled with "rage, power...and freedom." My point is that he says this in a very intense way that reflects the dark nature of the character and makes the viewer WISH that they were the Hulk.

In the Norton movie, Banner's description of what little he remembers of how it is to be the Hulk is practically just exposition. There's no intensity or drama whatsoever.

Newsarama:

Speaking of The Incredible Hulk, who do you think should be the villain in the sequel? If, y'know, there is a sequel. There are three potential candidates set up in the current film, but director Louis Leterrier thinks the decision should be left to fans: "I think that if we get to Hulk 2 I would go to Comic-Con and ask the crowd of people that actually love the movies, which one would you prefer to see, Samson or the Leader?"

Samson?

I know I would want to see The Leader.

I would want one of the following to be Hulk 2

1) The Leader and Work Grey Hulk in there.

2) Iron Man as the villain. Maybe in Hulk buster armour. He tries to take on Hulk as he sees hulk as a villain. Only hulk completely destroys him leading in to the Avengers movie where all the avengers will take on hulk as he seen as a high risk threat.

3) If possible both 1 + 2 combined.

Okay...you've completely misunderstood what I said.

In the Ang Lee movie, Bruce Banner describes his experience as the Hulk as something akin to a very hazy dream, filled with "rage, power...and freedom." My point is that he says this in a very intense way that reflects the dark nature of the character and makes the viewer WISH that they were the Hulk.

In the Norton movie, Banner's description of what little he remembers of how it is to be the Hulk is practically just exposition. There's no intensity or drama whatsoever.

Brilliant reasoning. Lee's film was just that much more "emotional". Not really the word everyone wants to hear when describing a Hulk film....but it still stands as my favorite of the 2 so far.

My perfect Hulk film would be Lee's film cast w/ Norton instead. Some Lonely Man sprinkled throughout. And a major fight like the new film...only with "The Absorbing Man" instead. And maybe only nods to the Super Solider program.

Latest posts

Back