The John Byrne Thread

Re: John Byrne pukes his opinions

John Byrne should stop caring about ranting and start caring about his writing. His work sucks.

It's a goddamn shame we're hiring good writers who take longer to do their job instead of hacks who meet deadlines.

*sigh* The industry is run by soul-less elitist pricks these days.

btw, what are Byrne's most famous works? I don't think I've ever picked anything up by him.

Last edited:

Zombipanda said:
It's a goddamn shame we're hiring good writers who take longer to do their job instead of hacks who meet deadlines.

*sigh* The industry is run by soul-less elitist pricks these days.

btw, what are Byrne's most famous works? I don't think I've ever picked anything up by him.

He had a semi-famous run on Fantastic Four, but I didn't care for what I read of it.

He also did some She-Hulk, which totally blew.

E said:
He had a semi-famous run on Fantastic Four, but I didn't care for what I read of it.

She-Hulk? blew? Is that even possible?

Was this the serious She-Hulk series, or the tongue-in-cheek lawyer She-Hulk?

Zombipanda said:
She-Hulk? blew? Is that even possible?
No, John Byrne's She-Hulk was not bad. It was fun. (And I am going to say other good things about John Byrne.)

And yes, she can be bad. But she never has been in her own series, or not in any comic I've read.

The reason I say she can be bad is that she's (at least sometimes) aware she is a character in a comic book, and she sometimes has fun with the audience over it. I think this works better as a solo act than as part of a team book.

Zombipanda said:
Was this the serious She-Hulk series, or the tongue-in-cheek lawyer She-Hulk?
John Byrne's original She-Hulk run was comedic, but not about her being a lawyer.

There are two trade paperbacks of She-Hulk as a lawyer. They are gold, both better than John Byrne's run, which was good. I would recommend to anyone who likes She-Hulk to buy them both.

E said:

I read a lot of John Byrne's Fantastic Four run. I didn't care for everything about it, but it was very good. And he was very, very good for the characters, especially Sue Storm.

It's because I'm a Fantastic Four fan that this run earned John Byrne more goodwill with me than he can ever use up.

I should also say that John Byrne did great work for the X-Men.

Also, John Byrne rebuilt Superman as the Man of Steel. This work had pluses and minuses, but it was mostly good, and it was important for Superman fans.

E said:
Is anyone else struck by the hilarity in the suggestion that delays are killing the industry?
Some are. I'm not. John Byrne was always good at getting work done on time. It makes sense that he thinks this is a high priority.

I don't read John Byrne's column. If he would keep a civil tongue in his head I would like him better and I would have many more good things to say about him.

I also don't want to be misunderstood as endorsing what John Byrne says. He's said a bunch of things about people I think deserve a good reputation. Roy Thomas for one. There are many others.

Also, liking what he did overall for some characters (Sue Storm) is not an endorsement for everything he did with every character (Scarlet Witch and her children, white Vision).

I'm just giving credit where I think it's due. If people talk as though John Byrne had nothing in his "positives" column, I don't agree with that at all.

What John Byrne said about Chris Reeve actually made me angry, which is something that happens rather seldom.

"Is anyone else struck by the hilarity in the suggestion that delays are killing the industry?"

Maybe not the industry, but waiting more than 3 months for Ultimates 2 is killing me. At this point im almost looking forward to Ultimates 3 and getting a more "professional" team on the book.

I tried to read "Man of Steel" a few weeks back. I had to give up halfway through, as I almost fell asleep a few times. I think its funny when people talk about how he re-created Superman for a new generation, when most of the things he changed have been changed back in recent years.

David Blue said:
John Byrne was always good at getting work done on time. It makes sense that he thinks this is a high priority.

It SHOULD be high priority - I don't think anyone argues that. But to go so far as to say that it is what is killing the industry, and thereby implying the belief that it is more important to get a job done "on time" rather than do the best possible job on it, is laughably ridiculous. As is the train of thought that, "if I can do it, anyone should be able to." He seems to be of the belief that all works are created equal, when obviously they aren't.

I was viewing Millarworld and found a link to the John Byrne forum, where John Byrne was discussing his opinion on slow artists. Bryan Hitch pops in about halfway through, discusses his opinion, and that's when John Byrne loses all credibility (as he usually does) and practically attacks Hitchy. Hitch defends himself, but doesn't insult Byrne back - he's a good chap.

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17260&PN=1&TPN=1

Take a look and see for yourself. Anyone got any other examples showing how much of an ******* Byrne has become?

I was just reading this.

Practically the whole reason I post at JoeQuesada.com is to rag on Byrne (who's art I still like).

I hate late comics as much as anybody, and I do think it's unprofessional, but Hitch is definately the good guy here.

What I found most interesting though, is Geoff Johns throwing Kubert under the bus.

I can see Johns wanting to defend Donner, but I don't quiote recall any writer or artist ever calling out the other like that.

Especially since Green Lantern and Teen Titans are always late too.

Seriously, why hasn't anybody taken my idea into consideration? All we need is a power drill, a sharpie and someone to hold him down for a few seconds and we can instantly tranform Byrne from a pathetic waste of life into a perfectly silent drawing machine. Of course, we'll need someone onhand to wipe the drool of course (don't want it smearing the pencils). Lobotomy was a perfectly acceptable treatment in Victorian England, what happened?

I was viewing Millarworld and found a link to the John Byrne forum, where John Byrne was discussing his opinion on slow artists. Bryan Hitch pops in about halfway through, discusses his opinion, and that's when John Byrne loses all credibility (as he usually does) and practically attacks Hitchy. Hitch defends himself, but doesn't insult Byrne back - he's a good chap.

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17260&PN=1&TPN=1

Take a look and see for yourself. Anyone got any other examples showing how much of an ******* Byrne has become?

Merged with 2 existing threads with some great examples.

Seriously, why hasn't anybody taken my idea into consideration? All we need is a power drill, a sharpie and someone to hold him down for a few seconds and we can instantly tranform Byrne from a pathetic waste of life into a perfectly silent drawing machine. Of course, we'll need someone onhand to wipe the drool of course (don't want it smearing the pencils). Lobotomy was a perfectly acceptable treatment in Victorian England, what happened?

LOss of free will is kinda frown upon these days

I love how Byrne makes himself the "angel" in all this, while everyone else is the idiot.

And the "Look, I did this page in an hour and a half!"

That's just way past the line of insulting. Seriously. :roll:

Re: Touching on the Ultimates with Jeph Loeb.

There are two things that bother me about the whole John Byrne thing. I mean, besides the fact that he's a condescending douche bag.

1) John Byrne can draw a monthly comic and keep on schedule...good for him. Not everyone works at the same pace as John Byrne, and many artists draw more and draw better. Look at a typicl Bryan Hitch page and compare it to a typical John Byrne page. There is more to it; it's more detailed, less cartoony. It's a different style. Who is John Byrne to say how long it should take someone to do their job? How would he feel if comic fans decided that comics should come out weekly, and he was unable to keep that schedule? Never mind the fact that this would never happen because no one gives a flying **** about what John Byrne does. Just as a fan has no business telling him how long it should take him to do his work, he has no business telling anyone else.

2) If John Byrne was Joe Mad's or Bryan Hitch's EIC, his opinion might matter. But if the job description gives these guys as much time as they need to finish the work, who cares? WHY does John Byrne care? The publishing date of these comics has nothing to do with him.

I find it hilarious that John Byrne thinks it's delayed work that is causing problems in comics. Instead of, y'know, ****ty and mediocre stories.

If John Byrne could write like Alan Moore (whose writing he has criticized, hilariously) or Warren Ellis or even BRIAN BENDIS, maybe he'd have a leg to stand on.

This guy baffles me. Is being a douche bag a marketing strategy?

John Byrne is a good example of why not everyone should be allowed the internet and free speech.

I can't buy any of the guy's work and read it anymore. Talented at his craft he may be, but so obnoxious he is as a person (at least, that person as perceived through the internet) that I can't remove my distaste from the man to enjoy his work.

Obnoxious man.

Latest posts

Back