The League (discussion and spoilers)

I'd love to hear a bit more about yourself, what got you into the film-making process? What comics you read? Where did you get your schoolin' and all that fun stuff?

Welcome to the Boards! Stick around, should you please!

Thanks, Doc (can I call you Doc?)! I'll definitely stick around.

I started making movies when I was 6 or 7-- my sister and I would design costumes, and my dad would do all the camera work. Superman I and II were really what got me interested in filmmaking, though it wasn't until freshman year of high school that I kind of realized/decided it's what I wanted to do with my life (I credit Memento and X-MEN I for this).

I've been reading comics probably since I was 10. Spider-Man, X-MEN, Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Spawn, Green Lantern... anything I could get my hands on, though I've always favored superheroes when it comes to comic books. I said in an interview a couple weeks ago that I didn't really discover comics without superheroes in until a couple years ago haha.

In terms of school, I spent two years at the University of Iowa (go Hawkeyes) studying film, but more importantly creative writing. They have an unbelievable writing program there-- by far one of the top programs in the country (the Iowa Writers Workshop). Then after USC turned me down, I started looking at other schools to transfer to, and ended up at Chapman University in Orange County, CA.

Last edited:
Sweet. What kinds of movies/comics are you into?
Movie wise I enjoy mystery, action/adventure, fantasy, thrillers, comedies, and variations thereof.

The idea I'm working right now for film (though also comic, too) is a space fantasy work.

Comics, I am heavily into X-Men more than anything else. But I also enjoy lots of others like Spider-man, Booster Gold, Fables, Ex Machina, Runaways, and lots more.

Movie wise I enjoy mystery, action/adventure, fantasy, thrillers, comedies, and variations thereof.

The idea I'm working right now for film (though also comic, too) is a space fantasy work.

Comics, I am heavily into X-Men more than anything else. But I also enjoy lots of others like Spider-man, Booster Gold, Fables, Ex Machina, Runaways, and lots more.

That sounds cool, man. I'm a big X-MEN guy, too, though I'm about 6 months behind right now

In terms of school, I spent two years at the University of Iowa (go Hawkeyes) studying film, but more importantly creative writing. They have an unbelievable writing program there-- by far one of the top programs in the country (the Iowa Writers Workshop). Then after USC turned me down, I started looking at other schools to transfer to, and ended up at Chapman University in Orange County, CA.

University of Iowa has a great program, I would have gone there for my writing if I wasn't so deadset against living away from a big city. I study creative writing in NY, Sarah Lawrence College, just outside of the city.

University of Iowa has a great program, I would have gone there for my writing if I wasn't so deadset against living away from a big city. I study creative writing in NY, Sarah Lawrence College, just outside of the city.

Cool. What are you hoping to do when you finish up?

I'm curious about something - how much did this cost to make? This looks very professional. I'm whipping some of my friends into actually making something short and every time I mention quality, they complain about it being too expensive.

To be able to point at The League and say, "This is financially doable for us" would be great.

I hope you don't mind my asking.

I'm curious about something - how much did this cost to make? This looks very professional. I'm whipping some of my friends into actually making something short and every time I mention quality, they complain about it being too expensive.

To be able to point at The League and say, "This is financially doable for us" would be great.

I hope you don't mind my asking.

No, I don't mind at all. We did the movie for about $35,000-$40,000

Cool. What are you hoping to do when you finish up?

Try to get some short stories published, maybe get a book deal... Somewhere in there I'll go to graduate school (hoping for Columbia in NYC), and then start teaching to buffer the paychecks until I become successful enough to live off my writing, or just keep teaching having tried my hand at writing.

Somewhere in there, I'd love to write a few comics, but fiction will probably always be the core of what I write.

No, I don't mind at all. We did the movie for about $35,000-$40,000

See this is why everything I do looks like crap, I'm a one man production team working on a budget of 35 cents. How did you get funding, did your school provide it?

Last edited:
See this is why everything I do looks like crap, I'm a one man production team working on a budget of 35 cents. How did you get funding, did your school provide it?

The school provided a little (about $3,000 in goods and services), but I raised the rest of the money myself

Yeah, that's good. Be sure to let us know how things go. We'll keep an eye out for anything you make now. :)

Thanks, man. I've been taking a lot of meetings around town, trying to set up my first feature. We'll see what happens!

I think it might actually make an entertaining tv show, like on the Sci Fi channel or something

Agreed. I would love to see this as a TV show.

And if it became as successful as Battlestar Galactica, I could brag to my friends "I was a member of the same forum that he was!"

Latest posts

Back