The Movies

Doc Comic said:
If you take a screenwriter and make him an actor, he'll have a full action bar. Just a tip.
Is this a bug? And if so, was it corrected in the latest patch?

From GamePolitics.Com:
It was only a matter of time.

When Lionhead Studios released Peter Molyneaux' long-awaited The Movies last month, gamers were treated to more than just a well-done example of the tycoon genre. The real sizzle in The Movies lies with its powerful film creation tools, which permit would-be Spielbergs to try their hand at making - and sharing via the Web - cinematic masterpieces.

Thousands of user-created movies have been submitted to the game's website for the amusement of fans. But one 13-minute submission, French Democracy, has drawn worldwide attention for its depiction of the recent French riots as seen from the rioters' point of view.

An Associated Press report on the French Democracy phenomenon details how 27-year-old The Movies user Alex Chan created his short film in just a week's time. Chan, who lives in a Paris suburb rocked by violence during the riots believed that news coverage didn't tell the back story. He decided to fill in that coverage gap by creating a movie.

Chan's film has English subtitles "to correct what was being said in the media, especially in the United States, who linked what was happening, the riots, to terrorism and put the blame on the Muslim community."

Chan released French Democracy to the world on November 22nd. Its timeliness and unique perspective garnered instant recognition. In the film, three young black men suffer racial discrimination and eventually become rioters.

"They become angry and maybe they have no other way to express themselves," Chan told the AP. "And finally this is the only way they have of getting heard. That's why I picked this title, 'The French Democracy,' It's a little ironic, in the sense that these youths, for now, have preferred using petrol bombs rather than vote ballots to make themselves heard."​

Read more here...

Has anyone ever played this game for the computer? I'm wondering whether or not I should get this.

i have and stunts effects add on. it's very fun.

if you buy it get the add-on pack

Has anyone ever played this game for the computer? I'm wondering whether or not I should get this.
If you scroll a few posts up you can tell I've played it.

I don't have the system specs to get the custom movie creation tools to work at an enjoyable frame rate. However, the game still runs smoothly in the studio management level, and on that part the game's pretty decent if you enjoy Tycoon-type management gameplay.

But like other titles by Lionhead Studios (most notably Black & White) gameplay can become a chore because of the lack of direction or focus. I guess the worst way to describe that is to say that management gets reduced to moving people to and fro from various offices and sets and lots while you churn out movie after movie.

Still, I hear the movie creation tools are real enjoyable to work with, and I think its more flexible in the possibilities it gives you than it initially looks.

Yeah, I didn't know there was already a thread for this... That's why I sound vaguely air-headed in all this... SORRY. :p

If you scroll a few posts up you can tell I've played it.

I don't have the system specs to get the custom movie creation tools to work at an enjoyable frame rate. However, the game still runs smoothly in the studio management level, and on that part the game's pretty decent if you enjoy Tycoon-type management gameplay.

But like other titles by Lionhead Studios (most notably Black & White) gameplay can become a chore because of the lack of direction or focus. I guess the worst way to describe that is to say that management gets reduced to moving people to and fro from various offices and sets and lots while you churn out movie after movie.

Still, I hear the movie creation tools are real enjoyable to work with, and I think its more flexible in the possibilities it gives you than it initially looks.

In Sandbox mode you can fix that dude.

Have films created straight away and sets built straight away

In Sandbox mode you can fix that dude.

Have films created straight away and sets built straight away
You're talking of the speedy function I presume, that removes the time factor needed to get sets built and films shot.

But that's not my complaint, my complaint is that The Movies is basically highly secretarial in nature, though that's unavoidable due to the format and design of the whole thing. If you're absolutely uninterested in toying with the movie making engine, an focus solely on the BUSINESS side of the game, it can get a little tedious.

So my complaint isn't a fault so much as it is an experiential understanding of the whole thing, just as one could easily mock the way Final Fantasy XII basically reduces (most) combat into a passive watching affair even if the gambit-tweaking is still a tactical joy on its own and thus still an enjoyable game in its own right.

Ah ok I misunderstood I thought you wanted to speed up the film process

Latest posts

Back