The Music Club

This sounds complex.

I will just download what looks good.

Excuse me?
I meant first to respond after I asked for more suggestions. The three albums for the first week will be my pick, your pick, and one from E.
This sounds complex.

I will just download what looks good.
This is not complex. It's just taking forever because everyone except for HBM seemed to forget about it when I asked for suggestions.

Okay, so our listenings for Week 1 are:

Deerhunter - Microcastle

Bullet for My Valentine - Scream, Aim, Fire

Electric Six - I Shall Exterminate Everything Around Me That Restricts Me from Being the Master

You have seven days track them down, listen to them, and discuss them. If you have trouble finding any of them, say so and someone will upload them somewhere and send you a link.

(Between now and next week, those of you who didn't suggest anything this week, please try and think of something. Hopefully it won't take us four or five days to get this started next time.)

I found and listened to all 3 albums but was wondering...is there any kind of format to the discussion or reviews we should be using?

First up: Scream Aim Fire by Bullet for My Valentine. This isn't really the type of music I go for (I guess that's why it is perfect for this). But I gave it a listen, and a lot of it sounded like Metallica ("Say Good Night"). Not bad. Unfortunately a lot of it also sounded like bad Slipknot ("Waking The Demon") and kind of turned me off to the whole album. I'm not a big fan of music that comes across as people just trying to be as loud as possible and this album came across like that. Even though some of it sounds Metallica-y, they don't have anywhere near the same talent at song craftsmanship as Metallica do. On the other hand, they are more diverse; it didn't sound like an album of all exactly the same song to me. I probably won't listen to it again, but was glad to try something different.

Next up: Microcastle by Deerhunter. I liked this a lot more. A huge part of the album has a real dreamy soundscape to it that would probably be awesome if I did drugs, which I don't. It gets tedious by the middle of the album but not unlistenable. Another drawback is that by the time "Saved By Old Times" came up it sort of felt like the album was just beginning. I get a real 60s rock vibe from the whole thing, and maybe a little of The Strokes (both of which I like, so that's good). I would be interested in checking out more of their work, especially if it varies a little more.

Unfortunately a lot of it also sounded like bad Slipknot ("Waking The Demon")

Interesting, that's my favourite song on the album and a very big crowd pleaser live.

My two cents on the albums.

Microcastle - It is well played and constructed, but I just couldn't get into this album. I found myself skipping through some tracks to see if they got better halfway through. It was better than a lot of stuff produced today (I would listen to it over stuff like The Killers for example) but it wouldn't be on my usual playlists.

Electric Six - This was fun. a nice, upbeat album to get people nodding to. I have liked the singles that E6 have put out in the past (stuff like Danger! High Voltage and Gay Bar) but never picked up and album so this was nice to hear some more of their stuff. I do like Rip it especially.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything E said in regards to Bullet for My Valentine. Any kind of metal is far from my "thing" but the album was actually really listenable. I quite liked "Hearts Burst into Fire". (As well as a lot of the album's "softer" moments.)

I also really appreciate the amount of talent it must take to ****ING PLAY THE GUITAR LIKE THAT. I'd love to play some of these songs on Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

The Electric 6 album was good. I've heard their first album and I'd still say it's better. (It's pretty hard to beat "Danger! High Voltage" or "Gay Bar".) But I enjoyed it. I think Electric 6 do better with "novelty". They're at their best when they're being really over the top and not taking themselves seriously at all. That's not to say that they ever take themselves very seriously, as far as I've seen.
I found and listened to all 3 albums but was wondering...is there any kind of format to the discussion or reviews we should be using?
Nope. Just say what you think and we shall chat.
Next up: Microcastle by Deerhunter. I liked this a lot more. A huge part of the album has a real dreamy soundscape to it that would probably be awesome if I did drugs, which I don't. It gets tedious by the middle of the album but not unlistenable. Another drawback is that by the time "Saved By Old Times" came up it sort of felt like the album was just beginning. I get a real 60s rock vibe from the whole thing, and maybe a little of The Strokes (both of which I like, so that's good). I would be interested in checking out more of their work, especially if it varies a little more.
Yeah, the structuring of the album is a little bizarre, but I think the highlights make up for the slower sections. "Never Stops" and "Nothing Ever Happened" are some of my favorite songs of 2008.

It's interesting that you ask about their other work: Microcastle was a very pleasant surprise because I'd listened to their previous, critically-acclaimed album Cryptograms and was totally bored and unimpressed by it. There's a whole lot more of that slow, instrumental stuff, but with droning guitar sound. And the two or three infrequently dispersed pop songs are nowhere near anything on Microcastle. (Not to mention the whole thing being annoyingly lo-fi. I usually like the "lo-fi sound", but in this case it just comes off sounding obstructive and unprofessional.)

I therefore went into Microcastle with very low expectations and was so pleasantly surprised when the album opened with two of the catchiest, best pop songs of the year and beautifully crystal clear production.

Considering Christmas being tomorrow, I will not ask for any new suggestions until this weekend, but I'm hoping that those of you who didn't pick anything the first time around will think about this between now and then and find something to recommend...

Last edited:
Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything E said in regards to Bullet for My Valentine. Any kind of metal is far from my "thing" but the album was actually really listenable. I quite liked "Hearts Burst into Fire". (As well as a lot of the album's "softer" moments.)

Both you and E may prefer their first album, The Poison. It has been accused of being a bit 'emo' at times, but I really enjoy it (although I do prefer Scream, Aim, Fire for the more thrashy sound). Keep an eye out for a song called Tears Don't Fall, it's a lovely track.

Latest posts

Back