The PC Gaming Thread

Fuzzy Birds

I've been browsing through the games forum, and there doesn't seem to be many PC gamers. I used to be a console man myself, until about 2 years ago when they kinda lost their spark for me. I recently kitted out my PC and bought a shedload of games, and I can't believe how much I was missing out on with a console.

First and foremost for me, is the FPS. There is no machine out there that plays FPSs quite as intuitively as a PC. An analogue stick or two just cannot compare to the kind of precision aiming you get with a mouse and keyboard combo. RTSs, RPGs, MMOs and various sim-games (and no, not the bloody Sims, I mean Black and White 1/2) excel on the PC. It's only real drawbacks are racers and third persons. But they're not my thing anyway so, I don't much care.

And of course, a PC will always have much more horsepower and graphical capability than anything else out there. Sure, the Xbox 360 might be kinda on the same level right now, but give it a few months and there'll be a PC that's 10 times better. The customisability of a PC means it never gets old. And as for the games themselves, patches, add-ons and best of all, mods, keep a two year old game fresh even today.

So anyway, I decided to start a thread for PC gaming. What do you have, what do you like, and what do you play it on?

I've actually got a 3 year old Packard Bell, with a 17 inch LCD screen, a good one, with very little ghosting and no light/angle issues to speak of. In the last few months I've kitted it out with an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro graphics card and 1GB of RAM. My next purchase will be a new processor, as mine only reaches 2.7 Ghz when pushed, and I'd feel more comfortable with a 3 Ghz. My Radeon is a good enough card to play pretty much every game out there on maximum graphics or at least very high.

As for my games, my favourites would be Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mafia and FEAR. Black and White 1 and 2, Vampire the Masquerade, Doom 3, Beyond Good and Evil, Deus Ex, The Movies and Half Life round up my collection.

I'm currently waiting expectantly for Prey, Hellgate:London, Crysis, Rise of Legends, Half-Life 2: Episode One and STALKER, Shadow of Chernobyl.

I hearby declare this thread open, and for all you smelly PS2-humpers, begone!

I used to play Age of Empires games, and I tried others like Warcraft/Sims, but I went off computer games.

ProjectX2 said:
I used to play Age of Empires games, and I tried others like Warcraft/Sims, but I went off computer games.

I'm not surprised if you were playing the Sims. Just the sight of it is enough to make me sick for days on end, during which I can't touch a computer.

My fave pc games are

The movies
and
Alien vs Predator 2

I've been browsing through the games forum, and there doesn't seem to be many PC gamers. I used to be a console man myself, until about 2 years ago when they kinda lost their spark for me. I recently kitted out my PC and bought a shedload of games, and I can't believe how much I was missing out on with a console.

First and foremost for me, is the FPS. There is no machine out there that plays FPSs quite as intuitively as a PC. An analogue stick or two just cannot compare to the kind of precision aiming you get with a mouse and keyboard combo. RTSs, RPGs, MMOs and various sim-games (and no, not the bloody Sims, I mean Black and White 1/2) excel on the PC. It's only real drawbacks are racers and third persons. But they're not my thing anyway so, I don't much care.

And of course, a PC will always have much more horsepower and graphical capability than anything else out there. Sure, the Xbox 360 might be kinda on the same level right now, but give it a few months and there'll be a PC that's 10 times better. The customisability of a PC means it never gets old. And as for the games themselves, patches, add-ons and best of all, mods, keep a two year old game fresh even today.

So anyway, I decided to start a thread for PC gaming. What do you have, what do you like, and what do you play it on?

I've actually got a 3 year old Packard Bell, with a 17 inch LCD screen, a good one, with very little ghosting and no light/angle issues to speak of. In the last few months I've kitted it out with an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro graphics card and 1GB of RAM. My next purchase will be a new processor, as mine only reaches 2.7 Ghz when pushed, and I'd feel more comfortable with a 3 Ghz. My Radeon is a good enough card to play pretty much every game out there on maximum graphics or at least very high.

As for my games, my favourites would be Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mafia and FEAR. Black and White 1 and 2, Vampire the Masquerade, Doom 3, Beyond Good and Evil, Deus Ex, The Movies and Half Life round up my collection.

I'm currently waiting expectantly for Prey, Hellgate:London, Crysis, Rise of Legends, Half-Life 2: Episode One and STALKER, Shadow of Chernobyl.

I hearby declare this thread open, and for all you smelly PS2-humpers, begone!
I'm a really crusty hardcore PC gaming grognard. Seriously.

While everyone was out playing with their Nintendoes and Geneses, I was raised on hordes and hordes of pirated floppy disk-based games.

I must have played more games during the floppy era than I've read comic books in my entire life.

Latest posts

Back