The Pellet Review Thread

Gemini

O.K. i want to give this a shot, this thread is a place where you can post (short) reviews the comics you buy, much in the vain of the Buy Pile column at CBR, or the Thursday Morning Quarter Back at Wizard Universe so to kick things off I'll start, and try to avoid posting spoilers, some discussion about individual series is ok as long as it's in the "I disagree/agree with your review because..." kinda format, if discussion continue's beyond that it should probably be moved to the individual series discussion, reviews should be posted in this format:

Title: (in bold)
Writer:
Artist:
Review
Rating: (in bold & and out of 5)

Avengers The Initiative #7:
Writer: Dan Slott
Artist: Stefano Caselli
normally i like this series, like alot but this issue bewildered me, the identity of the Scarlet Spiders while it makes sense is really stupid, and it nearly undoes the unmasking of spider-man, all that aside it was a decent issue that will probably hold alot of importance in the future
Rating: 3/5

Captain Marvel #1:
Writer: Brian Reed
Artist: Lee Weeks
ok, this was a good first issue, that helps redeem this whole Mar-Vell situation a bit, why he went to France is honestly beyond me but whatever, the idea of a church basing themselves around Mar-Vell is pretty neat, and this looks like it will be a fun series
Rating: 3.5/5

Ghost Rider #17:
Writer: Dan Way
Artist's: Mark Texeira, & Javier Saltares
this series is getting far too repetitive, and the issue end's in a pathetic attempt at being funny, Dan Way is spacing this story out waaaay to much and I'm glad he only has two issue's left before Aaron takes over, the art is perfect for this seriest though
Rating: 2.5/5

Ghost Rider Annual#1:
Writer: Stuart Moore
Artist: Ben Oliver
an interesting, but ultimately pointless annual, this book introduces new element in the Ghost Rider mythos "Mister Eleven" it doesn't explain anything about him though, and the basic idea behind the character was in a Denzel Washington movie and an issue of Blade last year

House Of M Avengers #1:
Writer: Christos Gage
Artist: Mike Perkins
why there was a need to make a new House of M series i can't figure out, but this series isn't terrible Gage does an admirable job setting up this team and by the end of the issue the team is already together which is something you don't see very often anymore (ie, Omega Flight)

Marvel Comics Presents #3:
Writer's: Marc Guggenheim, Kathryn Immonen, David VonAllman, & Rich Koslowski
Artist's: Dave Wilkins, Stuart Immonen, Mico Sauyan, & Andrea Divito
you know if each of the stories in this book were a little longer this would be a much more entertaining book, Vangaurd goes nowhere, Weapon Omega is still treading water, the Hellcat story is really confusing, and the Magneto story is set in the past and is unimportant
Rating 3/5

New Avengers #36:
Writer: Brian Bendis
Artist: Leinel Yu
ok this issue was a big miss-step on Bendis's part, first off the first half of the issue is a giant spoiler for the upcoming Mighty Avengers storyline, the second half is Wolverine and Spider-Woman arguing i the shower, then the entire avengers show up too crash the Hoods party, and the last page i cried fould on until i realized it was obviously an illusion by doctor strange
Rating: 3/5

Nova #8:
Writer's: Dan Abnett, & Andy Lanning
Artist: Wellington Alves
if there was an award for trippiest book of the week i'd be damned if this didn't win, if you want me to tell you why i'd be more than willing to comply becuase i really enjoyed this issue, D n' A do an admirable job of taking care of Nova outside of an Annihilation event, and Alves pencils are fantastic
Rating: 4.5/5

Punisher MAX #52:
Writer: Garth Ennis
Artist: Goran Parlov
the plot behind this story is very intriguing and i can't wait to see how this turns out, but i can't bring myself to get interested in this story very much, but it is obviously very good, the last page really took me by surprise and it almost pushes the MAX label to a new area for me
Rating: 4/5

Punisher War Journal #13:
Writer: Matt Fraction
Artist: Cory Walker
this is by far the best issue of War Journal since #4 (Stilt-Man's funeral), Fraction writes a very good comic in this, even if it is still a little bit too tongue in cheek for the punisher (somebody get this guy on a spidey book STAT) the new Kraven is pretty cool, and his Zoo is pretty interesting

Thor #4:
Writer: John Straczynski
Artist: Oliver Coipel
this series is so slow, but it's very interesting, Straczynski's choice of making Thor go to all these disaster struck places to find the Asgardians is very cool, i like the mention that Thor is being very cautious so he doesn't re-awaken the evil Asgardians aswell, as usual Coipel's art is just stunning

Ultimate Fantastic Four #48:
Writer: Mike Carey
Artist: Mark Brooks
this book is so frightfully boring, while Carey has alot of good idea's he can never follow through on them, Brooks art is a very awkward fit for the Fantastic Four, and this issue comes across as filler for the upcoming milestone issue

Ultimates Saga:
Writer: C.B. Cebulski, & Mindy Owens, based off stories by Mark Millar
Artist: Travis Charest, and Bryan Hitch
ultimately (no pun intended) this book is nothing more than a hand-book for those foolish enough to not buy the first two volumes of Ultimates, there is only 4 pages of new material in this book, and it's nothing special except some hinting at Tony's alchoholism and a beatiful splash of the ultimates on the last page
Rating: 2/5

Wolverine #59:
Writer: Marc Guggenheim
Artist: Howard Chaykin
if it weren't for Howard Chaykins abysmal art i bet i would like this story alot more, this middle issue of a 5 issue arc doesn't really do anything except at the very end, and what is accomplished isn't surprising in any sense, Guggenheim knows how to write Wolverine, but this issue is filler

World War Hulk #5:
Writer: Greg Pak
Artist: John Romita Jr.
The underwhelming event of the summer finally concludes!, alot happens in this issue and it is a fitting end to the series, it set's up Loebs new series pretty well, and it brings in a new character that alot of people wouldn't expect coming, the majority of the twists could be seen coming from a mile away, a decent ending

X-Factor #25:
Writer: Peter David
Artist: Scott Harper
Messiah Complex continue's, this issue loses some more of the steam that the one-shot established, not much happens because this story is still in it's set-up stages, PAD does a better job with these characters than Brubaker did, and Eatons art was fantastic in this issue

X-Men Die By The Sword #3:
Writer: Chris Claremont
Artist: Jaun Santacruz
next time you need to define the word "mistake" mention this book, this has taken the new honour of being the worst series i have ever read, i'm not even sure why i started picking it up in the first place, but i fully regret it. Claremont really needs to retire
0.5/5

over all this was a pretty good week, with Thor and Nova being the highlite's for me. There i hope this is a decent start to a thread that i hope will catch on

Gemini said:
Ghost Rider Annual#1:
Writer: Stuart Moore
an interesting, but ultimately pointless annual, this book introduces new element in the Ghost Rider mythos "Mister Eleven" it doesn't explain anything about him though, and the basic idea behind the character was in a Denzel Washington movie and an issue of Blade last year

I'm a fan of Ben Oliver, but don't really care about Ghost Rider... should I get this?

Punisher War Journal #13:
this is by far the best issue of War Journal since #4 (Stilt-Man's funeral), Fraction writes a very good comic in this, even if it is still a little bit too tongue in cheek for the punisher (somebody get this guy on a spidey book STAT) the new Kraven is pretty cool, and his Zoo is pretty interesting

I dropped this out of boredom, but I really liked Cory Walker's art on Invincible. Is this the first issue of a new arc? If so, I might read it.

Except a ****load of reviews in about three weeks time when I catch up on my comics.

I'm a fan of Ben Oliver, but don't really care about Ghost Rider... should I get this?
his art in this is very good, maybe better than his Cable arc in UXM, the writing didn't impress me, and it had alot to do with the stuff GR has been doing in his series, if your not already reading Ghost Rider I wouldn't recomend buying it unless you really like Oliver's art

I dropped this out of boredom, but I really liked Cory Walker's art on Invincible. Is this the first issue of a new arc? If so, I might read it.
yeah it's the first issue of a three part arc, sadly though i beleive Walker is being replaced by another artist (of a similar style) next issue

All Star Superman #9
Writer: Grant Morrison
Artist: Frank Quitely
I've always been one of those people that don't think this comic is as good as people think it is. Sure, it's fun and provides a neat look at Silver Age nostalgia combined with Grant Morrison's wanky ideas, but it's not the best comic ever. It's worth a read though and Quitely has improved a lot since his Authority days.
3.5/5

New Avengers #36
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artist: Leinil Yu
I never liked New Avengers. I used to remember when E and Ice and Nurhachi would rave about how great it was, but I thought it was balls. I didn't like Bendis's writing, I didn't like Finch's art, and I didn't like the mediocre stories about the Savage Land and Ronin. However, Civil War changed all of that. I think the title to mostly benefit from Civil War is New Avengers (well, probably Thunderbolts actually but I can't be bothered reading that anymore). I was originally scared of the idea of Bendis putting all of these street level characters into an Avengers team, but to my surprise, it's worked incredibly well. Combined with Yu's art, this post-Civil War New Avengers stuff has been great and made it one of my top 5 comics. My only problem with #36 is the boring narration provided by Cage and Jones at the start, and the fact that we know most of the next Mighty Avengers arc before it's even started. One thing I did like about this issue was that it seemed jam packed with story. There was Venoms, Mighty Avengers, Cage/Jones issues, Skrulls, The Hood, Doom... I just hope it actually goes somewhere instead of building and building into nothing.
4.5/5

Fables #67
Writer: Bill Willingham
Artist: Mark Buckingham
If you don't read Fables, you're an idiot. Go pick up the trades. This is the best comic being published currently. #67 continues the epic tale of Flycatcher's quest to create his own kingdom. Also, he fights a giant troll. It's epic. Read this, people.
4.5/5

Booster Gold #4
Writer: Geoff Johns
Artist: Dan Jurgens
I like this comic. It's fun. Usually time travel in comics means a convulted mess, but Booster Gold makes it work. The only thing I can't get into is the art, but it's slowly growing on me.
3/5

Wonder Woman #14
Writer: Gail Simone
Artist: Terry Dodson
The problem with Wonder Woman is that she does not have an epic story that defines her. She does not have a brilliant origin. She does not really deserve to be in the top three, standing alongside Superman and Batman. Hopefully, Gail Simone will change all of this. I picked up Heinberg's run because I was interested, but not much happened. Now I'm picking up Wonder Woman again, mainly because I love Dodson's art, but also because I hope Simone can do something wonderful with the character. #14 had Captain Nazi and a whole lot of gorillas. This arc should be fun.
3/5

Thor #4
Writer: J. Michael Straczynski
Artist: Olivier Coipel
I like this. I don't have much to say about it, but I like how JMS is actually making Donald Blake a real character. The best thing about this comic is the art. Coipel has really outdone himself. However, it does seem kind of lacking in something...
3/5

Punisher: War Journal #13
I dropped War Journal after the Civil War arc and when he started becoming some kind of weird Captain America ripoff. Picked up this issue because I like Walker's art. It was fun. But it's not the Punisher. One thing I did like about this is that Kraven is collecting all of the animal themed villains and building a zoo. I always thought about this because it just seemed logical, so I'm glad Fraction is doing it. But it's not the Punisher.
3.5/5

Punisher MAX #52
Dayum. Barracuda just went up another level in the cold *** mutha****er rankings. I think this might be the best arc yet. Great story, great art, great dialogue. Barracuda is a sweet character. I also like how everyone has big arms. It's neat.
4.5/5

Ghost Rider Annual #1
Writer: Steve Moore
I don't know what the hell happened but the art was pretty.
4/5

I won't let this die damnit! here are this weeks comics

Avengers Classic #6
Writer: Stan Lee, & Dwayne McDuffie
Artist: Jack Kirby, & Michael Oeming
I'm sure that these reprint's in these books will be worth reading through some time....somewhere, the actual new material isn't really worth the money, while Oeming's painted interiors are really cool, the story is absolutely unconsequestial, and utterly pointless, especially since this story is about the Wasp (i hate to say it but the Wasp is just a disaster of a character)
1/5

Captain America The Chosen #4
Writer: David Morrell
Artist: Mitch Brietweiser
this is a truly odd series, while the art is very cool, the story is very weird the title character hasn't actually done anything in 4 issue's, and the entirety of the story is taking place inside a cave, you can see where this series is going from a mile away, so you can't really be interested in it
2.5/5

Captain America #32
Writer: Ed Brubaker
Artist: Steve Epting
while this is naturally a very good series, I can't help but feel like this series has been treading water since cap's death, while you get alot of great character moment's and Epting's awesome pencils, it's really going in circles right now
3.5/5

Heroes For Hire #15
Writer: Zeb Wells
Artist: Clay Mann
okay this was a surprising issue, and a final issue at that seeing as this was quietly cancelled, but this was probably the best issue of the series, lot's of cool scene's and a very non-typical ending for a series of this nature, cool issue, with some stuff i'd like to see followed up later
3.5/5

Incredible Hulk #111
Artist: Leonird Kirk
well this is one of marvel's books that has been completley without it's title character for while now, and i'm frankly getting tired of this trend, if you want to use another character in a starring role start a new series it's pretty simple, while i did like the cast the story in this issue was obviously tacked on and is complete filler
3/5

Iron Man Director Of SHIELD Annual #1
Artist: Harvey Talibao
why does marvel put Gage on all these pointless title's he is a talented writer and he should be on an ongoing, all these one shots and self contained stories really takes away from his writing, while this is an interesting look at Madripoor, with a pretty cool outcome, the result is going to be purely temporary
3/5

Loners #6
Writer: Chester Cebulski
Artist: Karl Moline
Loners is an interesting book, it's got a cool story, some neat art, and truly relatable characters, it really comes across as kinda boring, i was waiting for that "don't you forget about me" song to start playing at any moment, a good ending that needs to be followed up somewhere, luckily it will be in the Marvel Holiday issue, a good end to a good series
3.5/5

New X-Men #44
Writer: Craig Kyle, & Christopher Yost
Artist: Humberto Ramos
Messiah Complex roles on, this issue had some more action than the last two, and it was nice to see the kids get the spotlight for now, the conflict between surge and prodigy is already getting old though, the X-Men get the drop on the Marauders, and some new villains are revealed, and the whereabouts of the baby finally get's some exposition
4/5

Penance Relentless #3
Writer: Paul Jenkins
Artist: Paul Gulacy
this series exceed's my expectations, because i had very low expectation's heading in, while this issue pulls the obligatory Wolverine and Venom appearence (see Sub-Mariner) it still manage's to be interesting, one gripe though Robbie Baldwin is not this smart this whole thing seems way out of character.... actually this whole Penance nonsense makes no sense
3.5/5

She-Hulk #23
Artist: Shawn Moll
well i thought i would give this a shot solely because of PAD's work, i don't know what to make of it because this entire issue makes no sense, the two villains were already taken out of commision early this year (Absorbing Man: Civil War: The Return, and Titania: Fantastic Four), this isn't a bad issue per say but it feels completley pointless, and plus the last page reveal makes no sense
3/5

Thunderbolts Breaking Point #1
Artist: Brian Denham
see what I mean about Gage? while i would honestly prefer an Ellis/Deodato main series issue this wasn't a bad substitute, you get a great look into Songbird which has been lacking in the main series, and overall this is a neat issue.
3/5

Ultimate Marvel Sampler #1
Writer: Arune Singh
Artist: Joe Madueira, Pasqual Ferry, Cary Nord, Mark Brooks, Salvador Larocca, Stuart Immonen, & Butch Guice
well at least the price was right (i.e. FREE) it gives you some neat looks at preveiw art we've already seen, and the interviews were pretty cool, you also get some hints of things to come (Bendis plans to incorparate the USM game into proper continuity after the amazing friends arc), also it forebodes the end of the ultimate universe which has been heavily rumoured for the last while
2.5/5

Ultimate Vision #5
Artist: Brandon Peterson
you know, if this series actually came out on time i might have actually gave a damn about this story, overall it wasn't bad and it was a cool ending to the whole Ga Lak Tus story, Peterson's art was nice as usual and Vision's verbal assault on the Gah Lak Tus module was a very cool looking scene
3/5

What If? Annihilation #1
Writer: David Hine
Artist: Mico Sauyan, & Rafael Kayanan
well this was odd, I loved Annihilation last year, but Hine ended up using a Dues Ex Machina machine, and completley ignoring most of the Annihilation gang for most of the issue, a nice look into Civil War, a really cool Splash at the end that pretty much describe's Marvel last year
4/5

Wolverine Origins #19
Writer: Daniel Way
Artist: Steve Dillon
Wolverine thinks to himself, Wolverine has a flashback, Wolverine kills someone in said flashback, Wolverine promises there is more to come, ugh could this series be more repetive.
1/5

X-Men Emperor Vulcan #3
Writer: Craig & Kyle, & Christopher Yost
Artist: Paco Diaz-Luque
well atleast this is as interesting as Rise was, but nothing is happening much like Rise, no seriously nothing is happening at all, i could have skipped this issue and not missed a beat, Paco Diaz's art is a very nice following to Billy Tan's from art Rise. but this is a very typical space X-Men story
2.5/5

an O.K. week not much too rave about, and not much to be reviled by

Last edited:
Why is it only Gemini and I doing this? Are you other guys too lazy?

Captain America #32
Artist: Steve Epting
All of these issues after Captain America's death are pretty good. I'm surprised that the comic seems to be better without him in it. However, there's a problem. I remember McCheese saying how Captain America just continues to build, but it doesn't really go anywhere. And this is true. While it does have excellent storytelling and art, it's going nowhere. There's all of these plots going on... but no resolution. I presume it's all leading up to Bucky becoming Captain America, but it's taking far too long to get there. Oh, and I ****ing hate AIM. How many of their members have been beaten or killed? Why do they keep coming out of nowhere? Why would people work for a giant floating head in a bucket? What is the world coming to? Why am I asking so many questions?
3/5

Action Comics #859
Artist: Gary Frank
I never really liked Gary Frank. I guess I put up with him on Supreme Power, but I didn't really think he was a good artist. On Action Comics, he's improved a great deal. Geoff Johns is also one of my favourite writers and pretty much why I'm still reading DC Comics, and he obviously loves the Legion a lot. Too bad I don't. I've never really read a story and the characters didn't interest me. So most of the issue, which is explaining what's happened to the other members and who this new Justice League are is basically lost on me. However, it's still enjoyable and I'll keep reading.
3/5

Ex Machina #32
Writer: Brian K. Vaughan
Artist: Tony Harris
I really like the idea that Mitchell Hundred is considered the Anti-Christ. It's neat. Not much to say on this issue, but there was some great art. There's a splash page with all of Hundred's various enemies as skeletons and stuff coming up to grab him. It was disturbing. Also, the last page was great. This is a good comic.
4.5/5

The Flash #234
Writer: Mark Waid
Artist: Freddie Williams II
This is fun. It reminds me of The Incredibles. A super powered family going on wacky adventures. Though I think something is missing. The back-up is alright, and the art is really good, but it's weird and the furry horse alien things disturb me. I wish Acuna was still on this.
2.5/5

I'm sure I had more comics to read. I have 5 or so issues of The Programme to read and review, so maybe I'll post them later on.

John Woo's Seven Brothers vol. 1 TPB

This was okay. It's a basic story of people coming together to fight an evil threat (Son of Hell) and save the world. However, there is a really cool twist at the end of the third chapter that I did not see coming. Ennis does a good job with his characters' dialogue (though Ronald talks just like Barracuda from Punisher), and the art is a good fit for this book. Enjoyable but not a must have, I think it would have done better with 12 issues rather than 6 and the various characters could have been expanded on a little more.

3/5

She-Hulk #23
Artist: Shawn Moll
Much better than last issue (PAD's debut) because, unlike #22, we actually find answers to all (well, most) of our questions. Beautiful artwork by Moll who does great character faces, and as always, David's trademark sense of humor is firing on all cylinders. The scene in the aquarium was very cool. I hope that the last page reveal will tie-in to the upcoming "Secret Invasion". Can't wait for the next arc.
4/5

Black Panther #32
Writer: Reginald Hudlin
Artist:Francis Portela, & Andrea Divito
I only bought this book because i hadn't realised that this was the second part of an arc, and i already had the first part, now i need to finish it, because i'm crazy and i like to hurt myself, while the art was good (Divito assisted with the pencils), the story, ugh the story, suffice to say "Utterly Retarded" doesn't even describe it, the only saving grace was the absolute hilarity of the Wakandan Gun Trick
1.5/5

Cable Deadpool #47
Writer:Fabian Nicieza
Artist: Reilly Brown
without cable this book isn't the same, even Bob is starting to get tiresome, while i'm very sad to see this book go and have Deadpool relegated to a Dan Way book of all things *shudder*, you know what? i'm actually glad this book is being cancelled, this Deadpool Marvel Team-Up has gone on far too long, and with Fabian leaving for DC-er pasture's it won't be the same, the issue itself was very stale and it revisited an issue that wasn't very good when it came out, Brown's art was very ho-hum, the only atracting feature is the kickass cover by Skottie Young
2/5

Daredevil #102
Artist: Michael Lark
okay this is the Daredevil that should have been around for the last while, this issue was alot better than alot of Bru's issue's since "The Devil in Cell Block D", Michael Lark's art was to say Perfect as usual, and this issue actually moved the plot forward, it delves into Larry Cranston's mind a bit, you get a good fight scene between DD, the Enforcer's, and a couple of the Hood's goons. overall this was a very good issue, and i hope that they can keep this up.
4/5

Foolkiller #2
Writer: Greg Hurwitz
Artist: Lan Medina
you know i gotta say the MAX imprint kicks ***, at first i was wary of it because Punisher has been a little humdrum, while Punny has gotten alot more interesting, this book and Terror Inc. are fantastic, the Foolkiller is a genuinely interesting charact, and it's fun to see him work. this issue delves into his origin and at the end of the book youre at the exact same place you were last issue, but it still came out fascinating, Hannibal Tabu from CBR's "Buy Pile" had a great analogy of Foolkiller's Origin it's pretty much the best part's of Batman and Joker's origin's mixed into one. this is a really cool mini.
4.5/5

Marvel Zombies 2 #2
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Artist: Sean Phillips
ick, this book was bad, i am entirely uninterested in zombie's now, what's the point of a book like this when you try and give the zombies emotions? i mean the main draw of the first mini was that you got to see Captain America eat Jarvis, but this is just boring. Sean Phillips art was neat but it's getting tired, I should have picked up "MAX The Zombie: Simon Garth" by Kyle Hotz instead
2/5

Moon Knight Annual #1
Writer: Duane Sweirzcynski
Artist:Jefte Paolo
Moon Knight should be a MAX book, it really should this would give the writer's much more freedom when it comes to the character, because there is alot of missed oppurtunities. this book barely feature's the titular character at all (man this is starting to become a trend, one that's already getting tiresome), while it was an interesting book, that's a real character study for how three women react to experiencing much the same situation, the fact that these character's are entirely unconsequential takes away from what the book could have been, Paolo's art was neat but i don't think Moon Knight is supposed to glow
3/5

Sensational Spider-Man #41
Writer: Joe Que.. i mean John Straczinsky
Artist: Joe Quesada
that's it, I'm dropping 616 Spider-Man after the next issue, while this was by far the best issue of Spidey since uhm half way through Back in Black, the plot is sol angering, the writing actually manages to shine a bit through the disgusting layer of filth that is the plot you actually get a glimpse of Thor/SS:Requeim Straczynski in this issue, and Quesada's pencils were much much better, if it wasn't for the destined out come of this story i might have liked it alot more
3/5

Sub-Mariner #6
Writer:Matt Cherniss, & Peter Johnson
Artist: Phil Briones
it's Silent War all over again, here you have a mini that start's out strong, kinda fizzles in the middle, and then turns out to be great at the end. and much like Silent War.. and the Iron Man annual actually.... this has fascinating repurcusions that should be examined, but won't because Bendis needs to get his self gratifying love fest on with Secret Invasion, Briones art is nothing to phone home about but they get the job done, but the key to this issue was the ending, what an ending
4/5

Ultimate Spider-Man #116
Writer:Brian Bendis
Artist:Brian Bendis
USM has turned around in a big way since the abysmal Clone Saga, and i guess we owe alot of that to old dependable Stuart Immonen (NEXWAVE!!!), while most of the people on this site are singing the praises of a monumental comeback, I'm not that impressed the writing while better than most of what we've seen on this book in the last few years isn't exactly as good as it seems, I beleive the key feature to everyone's impressment is Immonen's art, it inject's a breath of fresh air into the title, that makes it feel better than it actually is
3/5

World War Hulk Front Line #6
Writer: Paul Jenkins
Artist: Ramon Bachs
with this issue World War Hulk is officially over Hooray!, now we need to wade threw "Aftersmash" wuh-pee, anywho I honestly don't think anyone is still interested in what Sally Floyd has to say, i'm glad this is over, Jenkins story was boring, and Bach's pencils were less than unimpressive, if it weren't for my crazy collectorism i wouldn't have bought this, but as i mentioned earlier i like to hurt myself
1/5

X-Men #205
Artist: Chris Bachalo
Messiah Complex rolls on, this issue opens up with more of the same, but quickly become's the most action packed chapter of Messiah CompleX yet, Mike Carey should be the writer at the helm of this even not Ed Brubaker. the only flaw in this issue was that Messiah has become way overbloated with characters and Bachalo can't keep up without sacrificing detail. If you've been waiting and seeing on Messiah CompleX so far this is the issue that should seal the deal for you, and the ending was a real surprise, often Marvel screws up and spoils there own surprises, but this one was genuinely surprising, and i can't wait to see where it goes
4.5/5

X-Men First Class #6
Writer:Jeff Parker
Artist:Roger Cruz
I loved the first mini, but i don't see the point of this anymore, i mean if they turned it into "Marvel Adventures: X-Men" it would be fine, but this book is completley unnecesary and with Adjectiveless becoming "Legacy" it only further's my point, this was not a good issue, halfway through the book, in the middle of the main story, there is a back-up story, that makes completley no-sense, and it read's like it was written by a five-year old, honestly it had worse grammar than me
1.5/5

Proof #2
Writer: Alex Grecian
Artist: Riley Rossmo
what's this? I'm reviewing a non-marvel book? surely something is tragically wrong, but seriously i got talked into picking this series up by the clerk at my LCS, who just happens to be the artist, so i gave it a shot, #1 was really good, so i decided to keep picking it up, the story is really cool, something fans of a book like Fables might like (but don't call me on it i've never read Fables), the art is cool even if the main character (a sasquatch) constantly has more or less the same expression on his face at all time, the only thing i can point out is that this story sounds like it could easily become a Hellboy knockoff
4/5

Last edited:
Action Comics #859
Writer - Geoff Johns
Artist - Gary Frank

While I have never been a fan of the Legion of Superheros. I have been a huge fan of Geoff Johns. This is shaping up to be another one of his epic stories. And I'm anxious to see the resolution to the story from the JSA/JLA crossover earlier this year.

Angel - After The Fall #1
Writer - Joss Whedon and Brian Lynch
Artist - Franco Urru

I thought this was a pretty decent start. I actually liked it better than the first issue of the Buffy Season 8. I also always liked the show Angel better than Buffy. So hopefully this just keeps getting better.

Avengers - The Initiative #7
Writer - Dan Slott
Artist - Stefano Caselli

I can't find myself to care about this title at all. I did like Spider-Man confronting the Scarlet Spiders, but that was it. I'm unsure of they are suppose to be. Clones of Spider-Man or someone else. It all made no sense.

Batman And The Outsiders #1
Writer - Chuck Dixon
Artist - Julian Lopez

I think this was started with a bang. This is shaping to be better than the last series and with Batman & Green Arrow joining, I see it just getting better.

Birds Of Prey #112
Writer - Tony Bedard
Artist - David Cole

Bedard has a done a good job keeping the same pace as Simone did. This issue features Zinda on her own, mourning the last of the teammate from last issue. This had great characterization to build her character. I love the scenes with her and her kidnapped Taxi driver.

Captain America #32
Writer - Ed Brubaker
Artist - Steve Epting

Another issue with more build-up. I really like the way that Brubaker writes The Black Widow. She fits in this book. And we had great moments with Sharon trying to fight her brainwashing. The art is always amazing.

Captain America - The Chosen #4
Writer - David Morrell
Artist -Mitch Breitweiser

I'm not sure if I like this. I don't hate it, but it's just getting boring. The first issue or two were good, but it really hasn't changed this then.

Catwoman #73
Writer - Will Pfeifer
Artist - David Lopez

This is one of the better books that no one reads. I like like the drama that Pfeifer sets for Catwoman and her baby. He greats lame but interesting enough villains. The writing is definitionly a strength.

Checkmate #20
Writer - Greg Rucka
Artist - Joe Bennett

I love Checkmate. I didn't at first but read I collected I fell in love with it. Amanda Waller proves why she is the biggest ***** in the DCU. But Sasha and Mr.Terrific show that they are no pushover.

The Search For Ray Palmer - Gotham By Gaslight
Writer - Brian Augustyn
Artist - Greg Tocchini

The Search issues are better than Countdown. Hell all the tie-ins are better. I liked the original Gotham by Gaslight and this seem to fit the same feeling to it. With an introduction of this universe's Blue Beetle and that seem to also work.

Countdown To Mystery #3
Writer - Steve Gerber and Matt Sturges
Artist - Justiniano and Walden Wong and Stephen Segovia

This is the best Countdown series hands down. Both stories about the new Dr.Fate and Elicpso. The new Fate is great has he tries to figure out what is going on and how to use his magic. And the other part works with Elicpso corrupting DC heroes like Plastic Man.

Countdown To Final Crisis #23
Writer - Story by Paul Dini, Script by Paul Dini
Artist - Tom Derenick

I've said before the thing that harms this is bland writing. The ideas are really good, but the excustion sucks. This follows Superman-Prime after the Sinestro Corps. I don't like that this keeps ruining stuff from that storyline. Superman-Prime is really annoying and not in the way that Johns writes him.

Nightwing #138
Writer - Fabian Nicieza
Artist - Don Kramer

Part 2 of The Ra Al Gul crossover. This crossover is shaping up to be really good, the interaction between Nightwing and Robin about Damien was great.

Detective Comics #838
Writer - Paul Dini
Artist - Ryan Benjamin

Part 3 of The Ra Al Gul crossover. The best part of this issue was the scene between Ra and Robin. You don't see Batman villains speaking with Robin like that very often. And the ending was a great cliffhanger.

Ex Machina #32
Writer - Brian K. Vaughan
Artist - Tony Harris

I love the idea that the Pope thinks that Hundred is the anti-Christ. The next issue with the meeting between the two, I expect will be awesome.

Hellblazer #238
Writer - Andy Diggle
Artist - Danijel Zezelj

Diggle is doing a fantastic job on Constantine. I liked this story a lot. A realm of super-sitations haunting real people. John calling them out. And it was great to see John ****ed by one of his friend's for once.

Heros For Hire #15
Writer - Zeb Wells
Artist - Alvin Lee

Once this book started the WWH tie-ins it got really good. Almost as good as the original Daughters Of Dragon mini,. Not the same kinda of good. Humbug's evolution over the series as been fantastic, as well as the relationship between Shang-Chi and Tarantula. Misty's last line really made this book. I'm sad to see it go.

Incredible Hulk #111
Writer - Greg Pak
Artist - Khoi Pham

This bores me. I really can't stand Hercules and can't believe they are turning this series into his. And the kid just annoys me.

Iron Man Annual #1
Writer - Christos Gage
Artist - Harvey Tolibao

This was great episonage action. Not quite as good as the main series but I enjoyed. I also want to bang Madame Hydra.

Metamorpho Year One #4
Writer - Dan Jurgens
Artist - Mike Norton

This is really boring, I don't think I will read another issue.

X-Factor #25
Writer - Peter David
Artist -Scot Eaton

Part 3 of the X-Crossover. This is my first X-men crossover and I'm really enjoying. I love all the X-men books right now. Great writing, great art, and fantastic characters, Especially X-factor. I am curious to see why Layla stowed away into the future.

New X-men #44
Writer - Craig Kyle & Christopher Yost
Artist - Humberto Ramos

Part 4 of the X-Crossover. I really like where they have been taking the new X-men. I would be pissed if they kill anouther one. And I glad that Armor chick from Astonishing X-men joined the cast.

Penance - Relentless #3
Writer - Paul Jenkins
Artist - Paul Gulacy

I am curious to see Penance confront Nitro. But why was Wolverine in this?

Ramayan 3392 AD Reloaded #2
Writer - Shamik Dasgupta
Artist - Jeevan Kang

I wish more people would read the Virgin line. There are some really fantastic comics in it. And Ramayan 3392 AD was one of my favorites. The second series continues to build the mythos and there is some killer art.

Sadhu - The Silent Ones #3
Writer - Saurav Mohapatra
Artist -Jeevan Kang

This another fun Virgin title. This one has The Sadhu and his new guide trying find there way out of the mystic releam they have ended up in. This had a interesting twist to it and good characterization as they see thier fears and doubts.

Salvation Run #1
Writer - Bill Willingham
Artist - Sean Chen

Planet Hulk meets Villains United. The first issues followed the Flash rogues on their new planet. I dislike the Flash rogues, so this bored me. And Joker was written terribly.

Shadowpact #19
Writer - Matt Sturges
Artist - Phil Winslade

Shadowpact is a fun title. Nothing to serious and I enjoy reading it.

She-Hulk #23
Writer - Peter David
Artist - Shawn Moll

I liked some of this and was confused with the rest. I wish the Absorbing Man would been more interesting. And what was the point of that twist at the end. Yeahbutwhat?

Spawn - Godslayer #5
Writer - Brian Holguin
Artist - Philip Tan

I'm conviniced this will read better when collected. I do love the mythologically themes and the art is very pretty.

Suicide Squad #3
Writer - John Ostrander
Artist - Javier Pina

This is a little hard to follow with the jumps to the past and present, but not too diffcult. I think it helps that I'm not really familar with any Suicide Squad. But I do enjoy this.

Superman/Batman #42
Writer - Alan Burnett
Artist - Dustin Nguyen

This arc has been the best one in the series to date. Superman is lost in the Source after being mind-controlled. Batman is hitting on Orion's wife Bekka, due to her passion she can't control. It was great to see Batman struggling not to give in to passion, but he did only to be saved. The art was very good. And the 4th world killer stuck at the end, which was the first time I was sad to see a character go, besides Barda.

The Flash #234
Writer - Mark Waid and John Rogers
Artist - Freddie Williams II

Someone pointed out this is like The Incredibles. I have to agree, it's really fun,

Thunderbolts - Breaking Point
Writer - Christos Gage
Artist - Brian Denham

These one-shots are good additions to the series but not as fun or good as the main series.

World War Hulk #5
Writer - Greg Pak
Artist - John Romita Jr.

The fight with the Sentry was perhaps the highlight of the series, but it didn't help the underwhelming story. Now onto the Red Hulk....yeah.

X-men - Emperor Vulcan #3
Writer - Christopher Yost
Artist - Paco Diaz Luque

This is a good continuation to the Shiar arc in Uncanny. It's not as good and the art isn't up to the same par. But it's still good and I like that they haven't forgotten about the Shiar that slaughtered the Grey family.

Last edited:
Ultimate Spider-Man #116
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artist: Stuart Immonen
Nothing really happened in this issue. I still don't actually know what the plot is. Osborn has escaped and wants Peter to reveal his identity or something. It's taken that long for that bit to be revealed. Boring. However, the art is still excellent. Immonen is breathing energy into this comic.
3/5

Daredevil #102
Artist: Michael Lark
I like Daredevil. Good writing, good art. The last issue had me excited because we saw that the Hood was getting involved, but this issue was sort of disappointing. While we did see some of the Hood's gang coming into conflict with Mr. Fear's gang, it wasn't that interesting. Plus, I don't really care for what Mr. Fear is doing. I'd rather see more of The Hood.
2.5/5

I also got the latest Batman and Jack of Fables, but I can't actually be bothered reading them.

Last edited:
Justice Society of America #11
Artist: Dave Eaglesham
I've never really cared for the JSA. I just thought they were a bunch of old guys trying to do the same thing the JLA were doing, but less cool. Geoff Johns proves this wrong. While I haven't checked out his previous volume on JSA (though I was about to and will eventually someday) I started on this run with #1 and enjoyed it quite a lot. It did get a bit mediocre as it went along, but #10 changed that. The thought of introducing the Superman from Kingdom Come into the team seems ludicrous, but it works really well. #11 expands on some ideas and introduces new ones... mainly some characters who may or may not join the team in the next issue. Johns is making this one of my favourite comics and Eaglesham isn't too shabby either.
4.5/5

I might also pick up Ultimate X-Men and Ultimates 3 just to see how bad they are...

just prepping will post reviews tomorrow, but please post your own reviews

Annihilation: Conquest #2
Writers: Dan Abnett, & Andy Lanning
Artist: Tom Raney
a mighty fine second issue, not alot of new stuff happens, Star-Lord's team finally got involved, and there was a shock killing near the end, Raney's art is better than i've ever seen from him, not much happens but the plot moves forward enough good issuw
3.5/5

Avengers: The Initiative - Annual #1
Writers: Dan Slott, & Christos Gage
Artist: Patrick Sherberger, Salvador Larocca, Steve Uy, Clayton Henry, & Chris Weston
meh, this issue suffers the same problem as Marvel Comics Presents too many small stories to make the issue itself interesting, each of the stories if they were twice as long would have been good but this just falls short, the art was fine but the artist were trying to ape Stefano's Caselli's style and it kinda didn't work, the last page reveal was fun but this was very meh
2.5/5

Uncanny X-Men #495
Artist: Billy Tan
an exciting issue, but for some reason each of Bru's issue's are kinda boring, i've said it over and over again Carey should be spearheading this not Brubaker, but this was a damn fine issue in it's own right, Tan's art was great as usual
3.5/5

WWH: Aftersmash #1
Artist: Rafa Sandoval
blech, it's official i hate WWH now, after the fourth issue it's become nothing but a giant incomprehensible mess, i don't even care any more, i'm going to rate this on the mini marvels story in the end because it was the most entertaining part of the book
3/5

Ultimates 3 #1
Writer: Jeph Loeb
Artist: Joe Madueira, & Christian Lichtner
welllity wellity welllity, here it is, and it's not good, while it's not bad, it just doesn't make any god damn sense, i like the art though, but it's a terrible fit for this book, someone with a grittier style would have been better someone like DiVito or something, this isn't Ultimates this is a 90's Heroes Reborn reject
2/5

Ultimate X-Men #88
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Artist: Yanick Paquette
i don't care for this book anymore, just bring on apocalypse already, i'm glad this sentinel stuff is finally over because it wasn't very interesting in the first place, while some interesting stuff happens, this book is starting to feel like episodes of Robot Chicken a scatter shot of random stories then they see what sticks, and i hate Yanick Paquette's art, i'm so tired of it now
2.5/5

X-Men: Die by the Sword #4
Writer: Chris Claremont
Artist: Juan Santacruz
CRAP!
0.5/5

Silver Surfer: In Thy Name #2
Writer:Simon Spurrier
Artist: Tan Eng Haut
meh, last issue was good, but this book doesn't look like it will live up to Requeim. the story is interesting and the art is cool, but i just can't get into it
3/5

Howard the Duck #3
Writer: Ty Templeton
Artist: Juan Bobillo
meh, this book tries so hard that you can tell that it's over reaching itself, the art fits, and the writing is funny in places, but it's like what's the point?
2/5

Ms. Marvel #22
Writer: Brian Reed
Artist: Aaron Lopresti
MEH MEH MEH, this arc is my last Ms. Marvel one, no matter what Reed does he just can't seem to make Carol interesting, that's why he had to bring in MachineMan and SleepWalker, Lopresti's art was okay just like everything related to Ms. Marvel, mediocre is the keyword
2.5/5

What If? Uncanny X-Men #1
Writer: Christopher Yost
Artist: Larry Stroman
i'm not sure what the hell just happened, the art was cool but a little wtf-ish, Vulcan becoming Phoenix doesn't really make sense as he is an energy manipulator not a telepath/kinetic, over all it was an ok issue
3/5

House of M: Avengers #2
Artist: Mike Perkins
well the 70's-chice has worn off and this story needs to get going, this issue was ok, Perkin's art was great, and the Punisher's development was cool, but once again Gage's writing is wasted on an ancilary title
3/5

The Order #5
Artist: Barry Kitson
man this book is dull, if there is one book that needs a guest star it's this one, (apparently Namor is appearing in #7) but this is like "The Real World" and once again i don't care
2/5

Omega: The Unknown #3
Writers: Jonathon Lethem, & Karl Rusnack
Artists: Farel Dalrymple, & Paul Hornschemier
this book is so deliciously weird, i have no idea what's going on but i can't wait till i do!
3.5/5

Last edited:
THREAD RESURECTION

I think this Forum should be talking about comics more, I mean seriously do you guys still read them?

Title: Amazing Spider-Man #559
Writer: Dan Slott
Artist: Marcos Martin
Brand New Day sure seems to be plodding along towards nothing, It's a decent read, it has great art. It's just that the plot isn't interesting, Screwball isn't a great character, Paperdoll seems interesting, but I can't seem to give a damn about this book.
Rating:3/5

Title: Captain Britain And MI 13 #1
Writer: Paul Cornell
Artist: Leonard Kirk
This is an interesting book, since New Excalibur was an incredible waste of time (only one issue was worth reading), This is a great way to get a non-armerican team going, especially after the flop that was Omega Flight, the art was good, the story was interesting, great characterizations....one thing did Spitfire always bite people?
Rating:3.5/5

Title: Guardians Of The Galaxy #1
Writer: Dan Abnett, and Andy Lanning
Artist: Paul Pelletier
I've been looking forward to this book for awhile, I expect this book to play "Green Lantern Corp.'s" to Nova's "Green Lantern", with some decent art, and some great dialogue, the plot seems a little conventional but it left me wanting more so i guess that's a good thing.
Rating:4/5

Title: Last Defenders #3
Writer: Joe Casey
Artist: Jim Muniz
This book is boring, while the art is neat, very Ed McGuinessey, the story is a tad bland, and I can't find myself giving a **** about the characters, they had a decent cast and quickly swept them under the rug for a group of generic mercenaries.
Rating:2.5/5

Title: Newuniversal: Shockfront #1
Writer: Warren Ellis
Artist: Steve Kurth
seem's like an average start, I dunno the art is nice, this is probably the kind of thing where you have to give it time, I gotta say the Justice guy really interests me though.

Title: Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four #1
Writer: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
Artist: Barry Kitson
Seem's like this will be a nice and quick tie-in series, I'm looking forward to seeing an FF book that actually acknowledges Franklin and Valeria, the reintroduction of Lyja is a nice touch, and Kitson does an admiral job on art for the third week in a row (The Order #10, ASM #558, this)

Title: Thunderbolts #120
Writer: Warren Ellis
Artist: Mike Deodato Jr.
WOW, anyone who jumped off this book because of the delay's should be kicking themselves right now, this issue was just fantastic, The Green Goblin finally shows up and he is absolutley hysterical in this, the plot and dialogue get kicked up to 11, with some shades of Nextwave tossed in for fun, just an incredible issue.
Rating:5/5

Title: Wolverine: Amazing Immortal Man And Other Bloody Tales #1
Writer: Dave Lapham, Kelly Goodine, and Johnny Timmons
Artist: Dave Lapham
well there were three stories in this issue, "Immortal Man" was very neat with a great story, I like alot of Wolverine stories that take place in the 1800's and stuff. The second story "Animal Man" was kinda neat if a little conventional and wolverine barely appears in it, but his presence is definitley felt. The last story "Coney Island Baby" is rather strange, a nice action piece but it's something that has been done before. The art for this was really cool.

Title: Wolverine #65
Writer: Jason Aaron
Artist: Ron Garney
The conclusion of "Kill Mystique", man does Jason Aaron get Wolverine or what? this was another great issue by Aaron, Garney is solid as usual, the ending is cool, while I fully expect Mystique to appear again, it's a great end to a very interesting series, plus Mystique is naked for most of this issue Bonus.
Rating:4/5

Title: X-Men: Legacy #211
Artist: Scott Eaton, and Brandon Peterson
This is an odd series, by far the most interesting X-book (barring wolverine), but it's not exactly a thrill fest, while it's a great character study of Prof X, and trying to straighten out the X-history is an admirable challenge to tackle, it just feels a little empty, but it has a guest appearence of one of my favorite X-Men so score.

Title: X-Men Origin: Colossus #1
Writer: Christopher Yost, and Craig Kyle
Artist: Trevor Hairsine
Wow, you know I didn't expect this to be cery good, but I am surprised, I never found Colossus very interesting, but this issue was very compelling, beside Carey, Yost and Kyle are probably the only writers that get the X-Men, they just love the history of these characters, and they always use it in very interesting ways, Trevor Hairsine's art is great as expected.
Rating:4.5/5

Title: Dead Of Night: Featuring Man-Thing #4
Writer: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
Artist: Nick Percival, and Nick Klien
I didn't expect to see Klien doing interiors on this issue, caught me totally of gaurd, it's alot like finding out Djurdjevic did the interiors on a book without knowing it until you open the book, the story is great, the art is fantastic, overall it's just a great tale about the Man-Thing.

Title: Punisher MAX #57
you know, this book is pretty dull right now, beside the cool fight scene this isn't a very interesting issue, while the cliffhanger is cool, this issue make's you say "So What?"

A decent week, with some clear standouts, a couple of great one-shots, and the start of a new ongoing that I hope last's a long time

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back