The Pixar Thread

picture4zq1sb3.png

*swoons*

All of this is true.

But it also had Dylan Baker and Emma Stone and... oh, it was all Fillion!

The show was fun, but I never actually watched the fifth and sixth episodes (the ones that never aired). Stupid FOX.

Teaser trailer, anyone?

[video=youtube;tYg0VgPy6Uk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYg0VgPy6Uk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Teaser trailer, anyone?

[video=youtube;tYg0VgPy6Uk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYg0VgPy6Uk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

It looks fine, but why are you so excited about BRAVE? I feel like I'm missing something about this film in particular... :?

It looks fine, but why are you so excited about BRAVE? I feel like I'm missing something about this film in particular... :?

Scottish pride.

That and like Tangled, I've followed the development of this movie since the beginning, as a design student. I've completely fallen in love with the designs, and story, it just has resonated with me in a special way. Sure, I may be "just another American", but I was raised in a very proud Scottish family, and spent more than a few summers with family in Slamannan as a kid. So yeah, it's a completely emotional connection. Sorry if it's weird or makes no sense, but I'm excited for this, and have been since it was initially announced.

Still kinda annoyed that they replaced Brenda Chapman as director tho.

She'll still be co-director.

So I enjoyed CARS 2 quite a bit, but the entire time something was bugging me. All the critics said that even if they didn't like the movie, they loved the animation and thought it was particularly gorgeous and a step up from the previous CARS. I couldn't see that. At all. All the cars seemed about 1 and a half times larger than they were in the first one and way more cartoony in how they could move around. It was unbelievably distracting, especially in the Radiator Springs sequences because at least there you know how they should look when put against the backdrop of the town. It made me feel like this was a straight-to-DVD sequel done by a different company, much in the way TOY STORY 3 was originally going to be (Circle 6, anyone?). It was... off in so many ways. Yeah, *everything* was more cartoony this time around. In CARS (2006) I believed I could have walked through that town; the cars were intricately detailed and textured in every way. Here, they... weren't. Maybe it was a rush job. Ugh. Also, I know they replaced George Carlin after his passing so I was prepared for that, but a few other of the Radiator Springs characters -- Sarge, Flo and I think one other (heck it may have actually been John Ratzenberger's Mack for god's sake) -- sounded like they were voiced by different actors. I don't believe they were - I think the actors may have just forgotten how they did their voices originally - but maybe. (I was very glad Lizzie was back for this one. I never saw her in the IMDb credits so I thought she was gone from the sequel.)

Sorry. I love and care too much about the original CARS so all this little **** is bugging me, but dammit, this is PIXAR, they're not supposed to make these kinds of mistakes. And the cars losing their detail and size isn't a little mistake anyway. I'll talk more about the rest of the film when I get a chance, but the quick review is, yes, this one is for the young ones and the young at heart, Mater takes center stage - a little Mater goes a long way, so if you hate him, save your money and wait to rent it - and it doesn't feel like a "Pixar" film compared to the rest of the movies. As it is, I still had a good time and only expect to enjoy it more on subsequent viewings when I can really focus on all the plot details and visuals and all that good stuff. A low B+/high B from me, but not through the lens of a PIXAR film. Just a film film. As for my ranking, it's either 9th or 10th out of the twelve released so far, but it could just as well go lower on subsequent viewings if I decide to think of it as PIXAR prestige. I don't think I will though. It's no good to deify a studio. If they're going to go commercial - do one for the kids and one for everyone (Brave), sort of like how Spielberg and Scorcese do their films one for you and one for me-style - and just today Tom Hanks said they're developing a TOY STORY 4 (but don't worry, there's only a little chance it will actually get made; I'll elaborate later if enough of you were really pissed/worried when you saw that piece of news yesterday), then at least there's the comfort that there'll still putting out pics superior to most everything else out there. It's stupid to think this, but I really get the feeling that the few critics who not only dislike this film but are being *savage* to it in their reviews are just upset because it's the first time PIXAR has let *them* down. They feel like the wounded boyfriend/girlfriend or whatever, depressed that their go-to studio for excellence has decided to make a film that's *not* striving to be The Best Picture of the Year.

But then again, they could just really hate Mater. And if you re-heaaally hate Mater, you will most certainly hate CARS 2.

But if YOU don't hate Mater, go. See it in the theaters and judge for yourself.

Scottish pride.

That and like Tangled, I've followed the development of this movie since the beginning, as a design student. I've completely fallen in love with the designs, and story, it just has resonated with me in a special way. Sure, I may be "just another American", but I was raised in a very proud Scottish family, and spent more than a few summers with family in Slamannan as a kid. So yeah, it's a completely emotional connection. Sorry if it's weird or makes no sense, but I'm excited for this, and have been since it was initially announced.

Still kinda annoyed that they replaced Brenda Chapman as director tho.

Aaaah. There's absolutely no need to apologise for having enthusiasm. It was just that you were so excited I thought, "Have I missed something here?", but I haven't. GEEK AWAY! :D

Also, I thought Chapman died during production, but that seems to not have been the case. I wonder why she was replaced.

She'll still be co-director.

So I enjoyed CARS 2 quite a bit, but the entire time something was bugging me. All the critics said that even if they didn't like the movie, they loved the animation and thought it was particularly gorgeous and a step up from the previous CARS. I couldn't see that. At all. All the cars seemed about 1 and a half times larger than they were in the first one and way more cartoony in how they could move around. It was unbelievably distracting, especially in the Radiator Springs sequences because at least there you know how they should look when put against the backdrop of the town. It made me feel like this was a straight-to-DVD sequel done by a different company, much in the way TOY STORY 3 was originally going to be (Circle 6, anyone?). It was... off in so many ways. Yeah, *everything* was more cartoony this time around. In CARS (2006) I believed I could have walked through that town; the cars were intricately detailed and textured in every way. Here, they... weren't. Maybe it was a rush job. Ugh. Also, I know they replaced George Carlin after his passing so I was prepared for that, but a few other of the Radiator Springs characters -- Sarge, Flo and I think one other (heck it may have actually been John Ratzenberger's Mack for god's sake) -- sounded like they were voiced by different actors. I don't believe they were - I think the actors may have just forgotten how they did their voices originally - but maybe. (I was very glad Lizzie was back for this one. I never saw her in the IMDb credits so I thought she was gone from the sequel.)

Sorry. I love and care too much about the original CARS so all this little **** is bugging me, but dammit, this is PIXAR, they're not supposed to make these kinds of mistakes. And the cars losing their detail and size isn't a little mistake anyway. I'll talk more about the rest of the film when I get a chance, but the quick review is, yes, this one is for the young ones and the young at heart, Mater takes center stage - a little Mater goes a long way, so if you hate him, save your money and wait to rent it - and it doesn't feel like a "Pixar" film compared to the rest of the movies. As it is, I still had a good time and only expect to enjoy it more on subsequent viewings when I can really focus on all the plot details and visuals and all that good stuff. A low B+/high B from me, but not through the lens of a PIXAR film. Just a film film. As for my ranking, it's either 9th or 10th out of the twelve released so far, but it could just as well go lower on subsequent viewings if I decide to think of it as PIXAR prestige. I don't think I will though. It's no good to deify a studio. If they're going to go commercial - do one for the kids and one for everyone (Brave), sort of like how Spielberg and Scorcese do their films one for you and one for me-style - and just today Tom Hanks said they're developing a TOY STORY 4 (but don't worry, there's only a little chance it will actually get made; I'll elaborate later if enough of you were really pissed/worried when you saw that piece of news yesterday), then at least there's the comfort that there'll still putting out pics superior to most everything else out there. It's stupid to think this, but I really get the feeling that the few critics who not only dislike this film but are being *savage* to it in their reviews are just upset because it's the first time PIXAR has let *them* down. They feel like the wounded boyfriend/girlfriend or whatever, depressed that their go-to studio for excellence has decided to make a film that's *not* striving to be The Best Picture of the Year.

But then again, they could just really hate Mater. And if you re-heaaally hate Mater, you will most certainly hate CARS 2.

But if YOU don't hate Mater, go. See it in the theaters and judge for yourself.

Sounds like people who hated PHANTOM MENACE because of Jar Jar. But from the responses, it does sound like people hated this movie because they hated Mater and the first CARS. I need to see it.

Latest posts

Back