The Spider-Man 1967 cartoon

The Overlord

Since Spiderfan.org is reviewing episodes of the 1967 Spidey cartoon, I thought to be fun to ask opinions on this show:

http://www.spiderfan.org/lookback/show_must_go_on.html

I liked the first season, it was silly, but was fun and amusing in its own way and used a lot of the villains from the comic.

Season 2 was kinda funny, because it was on drugs. However Spidey went on weird adventures to the Center of the Earth and the North Pole where he would giant plant monsters and it was kinda boring with all the reused footage.

Season 3 is pretty well a waste, almost half the episodes are completely recycled from previous seasons, the same episode with minimal new animation to make it seem new.

I'm a huge fan of Spider-Man.

Huge.

I got the boxed set of this for Christmas back in 2005 and i still haven't been able to get through it. It's so bad.

I love the theme song, but that's it.

I hate to be the barer of bad news but I think this is cancelled :(

Last edited:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My opinion - I love the theme tune and the music, and I love the titles. The first season is stellar stuff with wonderful, simple Spidey stories. Unfortunately, it only ever feels like half a Spidey story, because Peter Parker is so absent. But what I do love is that it's a supervillain committing a crime and Spidey stops them and it's just light, fun. The cartoons are the length of Looney Toons. After the first season, where it got longer and more repetitive (and surprisingly darker), I think it starts to really lose its appeal.

But still...
[video=youtube;4o29VoxtsFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o29VoxtsFk[/video]

It's IN COLOR dammit!!!!

Last edited:
Such a kitch-y 60's theme, I think that's what makes it so wonderful. The part that kills me, is that at that point, Spidey was slightly less than 5 years old as a character.

The part that kills me, is that at that point, Spidey was slightly less than 5 years old as a character.

Superman got a(n awesome) radio show and he was only two years old.

The 1967 show is fun, especially the first season where they actually put some effort into it. The first episode is basically exactly the same as Amazing Fantasy #15, right down to the shot where Spider-Man sees the killer's face.

The theme tune is the definitive Spider-Man music. Even the Raimi movies knew this. I will hear no other argument. If it doesn't make you want to dance in a crazy 1960s hacienda, we needn't be friends.

Last edited:
The only thing holding this back from being enjoyable nostalgia for Spidey fans is how slooooow it seems. But I've watched millions of episodes, especially when in prime Spidey moods. It's great with friends around. Haha. "Dr. Magneto".

The theme tune is the definitive Spider-Man music. Even the Raimi movies knew this. I will hear no other argument. If it doesn't make you want to dance in a crazy 1960s hacienda, we needn't be friends.

[video=youtube;Dxy2DvC0mKs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxy2DvC0mKs[/video]

The best version of the Spider-Man theme, ever. I still can't believe it was just played over the end credits of a video game and not given its own independent release on CD.

Apologies for the poorly edited footage and random snapshots. I didn't have any footage from the games and was too lazy to download them. Just ignore the video and listen to the song.

Latest posts

Back