The Stand

Goodwill

I'm getting into this book. Fast.

After finishing up the Dark Tower, I wanted to delve into one of King's stand-alone novels. I think I may have picked up just the right one.

Initially, I asked for it for Christmas because Lindelof and Cuse of Lost fame said they refer to the Stand while writing Lost scripts. I thought this was a peculiar thing to say, but it's only until after you actually read it (haha) or are reading it that you understand what they mean.

Now, that I'm reading it I'm slowly becoming addicted. The characters are so vivid, the situation scarily real, and the fantasy makes it all the more entertaining. It's cool to see the references to the Dark Tower now, too, with Randall Flagg being a part of the downfall of the world.

I am only so far, though. Things have just begun to go awry... Oh, man is it good.

Anyway, the one thing I did want to discuss was the different editions of the book. I'm reading the uncut version where there is evidently a different beginning and end. Without ruining anything can you tell me where these differences are? Maybe you can tell me about the differences in the beginning and leave the difference in the end for when I'm actuall finished it...

Let me know if anyone's read this.

I've also been reading the newer, expanded version...

Although I put it on hold to read a few other books (David Sedaris' new book, as well as rereading Anansi Boys), but I think i'm going to get back to it now, because I hate to leave an unfinished book on the shelf.

I think the build-up is great, but then it slows down... Like at the point i'm at now there is little driving the plot of the book, we know that all these people are dying, and we care about these separate characters, but have no idea how they are going to intersect or matter to one another, let alone how Randall Flagg's going to come into play. Now most everyone is dead, and the book's been a little, well, boring the past 100 pages. I know wondering what's going to happen to these guys should encourage me to read on, but i'm going to have to give myself a kick to get back in gear.

I gave up with about 400 pages to go. I realized I didn't care. I then read the summary and found out my favourite character died.

I prefer IT.

Fun facts: Nobody, including Stephen King, has ever finished The Stand.

I finished The Stand when I was on a Stephen King kick either in middle school or high school.

The unabridged version, at that!

As I remember, it gets slow for a while, but it totally pays off.

I finished the unabridged version in High School in like 4 days. I completely dug that book. The sagging middle...I even enjoyed that.

I finished the unabridged version in High School in like 4 days. I completely dug that book. The sagging middle...I even enjoyed that.

I remember starting to get a little winded, and then there was the part where the old lady starts talking about her history and it all ties in to It and The Shining, and I was just like "Aw, yeah! It's on! second wind baby!"

Last edited:
Fun facts: Nobody, including Stephen King, has ever finished The Stand.

I did.

During a four day weekend at that.

I remember starting to get a little winded, and then there was the part where the old lady starts talking about her history and it all ties in to It and The Shining, and I was just like "Aw, yeah! It's on! second wind baby!"

I know!

What were the tie-ins to IT and the Shining? I know that both books tie into each other, but I didn't think the Stand was involved, since it's off in it's own alternate universe. I've read that scene and I've got a Stephen King Universe book which details all the connections and I don't even know what you're talking about.

What were the tie-ins to IT and the Shining? I know that both books tie into each other, but I didn't think the Stand was involved, since it's off in it's own alternate universe. I've read that scene and I've got a Stephen King Universe book which details all the connections and I don't even know what you're talking about.

It's been years. I may be off on the It references, but I'm absolutely sure about the ties to The Shining. She mentions her telepathic powers as "a shining" or something similar..... And is it The Stand or is it It, where they talk about The Black Spot burning to the ground, and Dick Halloran is there?

Last edited:
I've read The Stand 3 times; the unabridged version only twice.

This is maybe my favorite King book--except MAYBE Desperation.

I've read The Stand 3 times; the unabridged version only twice.

This is maybe my favorite King book--except MAYBE Desperation.

See, The Stand is one of my favorites, but I think Needful Things may take the top spot for me. I think that's a seriously under-rated King book.

I'm guessing this was a television mini-series at some point? I saw like two seconds of the conclusion to it on the Sci Fi Channel yesterday. I wonder where I can find it from beginning to end.

I'm guessing this was a television mini-series at some point? I saw like two seconds of the conclusion to it on the Sci Fi Channel yesterday. I wonder where I can find it from beginning to end.

Yeah, I've not read the book but the series kicked ***. I recorded it years ago on vhs. Then bought the dvd of Amazon.co.uk a while back.

it's 6 hours though not 8 , at least dvd is and doesn't seem to be cut

Yeah, I've not read the book but the series kicked ***. I recorded it years ago on vhs. Then bought the dvd of Amazon.co.uk a while back.

it's 6 hours though not 8 , at least dvd is and doesn't seem to be cut
That's weird. It was broken into 4 parts, 2 hours each.

Here, it was from 3-11pm.

Latest posts

Back