The Titans

Yeah. It was bad, but I've read worse.
Who cares as long as it's a good story? Too bad it isn't.
I'm a continuity nut when it comes to things that I actually know the continuity of. So I can understand someone being upset by it.
Welcome to Judd Winnick's The Titans where every page is a splash.
I hate the overuse of splash pages.
There's not much to know. The one-shot showed as much happening as this issue. Cyborg gets together a group of nobodies and they got blown up.
Well, I put that much together on my own.
To be honest, this issue could have fit the one-shot, as well as actual resolutions to the various ambushes. But that's a silly idea. This is a pin-up book.
Clearly.
I love the subtle understanding of shadows in this issue. Take for instance when Sunfire's standing around the open pool in the back lawn of the Baker house in broad daylight, where a strategically placed shadow just completely darkens her front half.
Funny how that worked out, huh?
Also, there's a shot of Batman crouching, with his hands on the ground like an ape stomping the earth, presumably because he just landed from a jump above? Why does every single appearance of Batman anywhere always feature that shot? I swear to God it's just a piece of clip art they paste over the pencils.
You've got some serious Batman crouching issues.
Really? You want Winnick to piss over a character you like?
No. I'm willing to let Winnick attempt to write a character that I only know about from the cartoon and Wikipedia. I've only been reading Teen Titans since McKeever took over so I have no previous comic book experience with him.

If I had any real attachment to the character I'd probably be worried about Winnick leaving piss stains, but I don't, so I'm not.
I can understand the comparison to Friends though. Titans has plenty of potential to be a hackneyed formula piece, with generic humor and two-dimensional stereotypes with perfectly styled looks.

Why the **** would you ever compare an endeavor to FRIENDS?

I hear Adam Hughes' All-Star Wonder Woman is supposed to be the comic book version of Maude. I can't wait.
:lol:

Wow.

I enjoyed it, the art was good and judd did a decent job.

and trigon is back :)

I'm looking foward to #2

I'm not really a fan of Churchill since his Supergirl days.

It's like he's taking everything wrong with the 90's and said, "Hm.... This'll be my thing. Except with more awesome byoobage."

And Winnick's writing.... I swear to God, a computer program could spill out better narrative and dialog.

Edit: Oh, and McCheese, I don't really don't know much about Trigon either. I read a little bit of Geoff Johns' run on Teen Titans, and I think Trigon was in that, but it wasn't anything remarkable enough to make me remember anything about the story.

Last edited:
It's like he's taking everything wrong with the 90's and said, "Hm.... This'll be my thing. Except with more awesome byoobage."

And Winnick's writing.... I swear to God, a computer program could spill out better narrative and dialog.
:lol: You should review comics for a living.

I'm not even a little bit joking.
Edit: Oh, and McCheese, I don't really don't know much about Trigon either. I read a little bit of Geoff Johns' run on Teen Titans, and I think Trigon was in that, but it wasn't anything remarkable enough to make me remember anything about the story.
He seems like an interesting villain. Let's hope the rest of this series doesn't suck out loud and ruin him.

:lol: You should review comics for a living.

I'm not even a little bit joking.

Oh boy! What a career that would be!

McCheese said:
He seems like an interesting villain. Let's hope the rest of this series doesn't suck out loud and ruin him.

Eh. That's a waste of hope. I'm going to reallocate that hope to sick puppies.

If my fall-back career as a garbage man falls through, I'll jump right on it.
You'd probably have better luck with women if you smelled like garbage than you would if you told them you read comics for a living.
Really? 'cuz I'm hoping Titans gets replaced by a monthly pin-up book of adorable puppies playing with each other and wearing funny hats.
Adorable puppies are healthy puppies. I'd buy a book with healthy puppies. Especially if they wear hats.

You'd probably have better luck with women if you smelled like garbage than you would if you told them you read comics for a living.

I'm quite comfortable where I am now - not smelling like garbage and not writing ****ty reviews for comic books.

McCheese said:
Adorable puppies are healthy puppies. I'd buy a book with healthy puppies. Especially if they wear hats.

We should turn it into a pitch to Image.

I'm not having a problem with this as most people are.

I kinda enjoyed it. Not really much to talk, i need to get the next issue then i can say if this sucks or not.

Last edited:
I must have read it like 8 times since wed. Not the best titans issue I ever read. But its not as bad as others on other messageboards have stated

I must have read it like 8 times since wed. Not the best titans issue I ever read. But its not as bad as others on other messageboards have stated

I know I'm risking brain explosion by asking this but...

What exactly did you like about it?

The art for one was good, seeing nightwing "feel" what was about to happen then running his *** out the window, jumping from one building to the next.

roy talking to his daughter was funny, hated his mask though. looked like nightwings.

Gar stepping up his game it seems.

kory showing a little T and A

wally back on the titans roster and getting to see roy finally take on trigon next issue or so. he got the "shaft" almost 28 years ago.

I admit for a first issue it wasnt the best it could have been, but it sooo wasn't as bad as people say

looking foward to this storyline

garth will be appearing soon :)- also a supporting character that we havent seen in years and thought to be dead will be seen again :)

Latest posts

Back